Unpopular film opinions

It’s depressing that this is a controversial opinion.

It was completely panned at release, but I would accept that it has become a cult hit amongst 80’s action aficionados. Still, basically forgotten but actually one of the Governors better efforts.

Fight Club? I would actually accept that it is competently made, in that it is not immediately obvious to many (maybe most) people just how stupid and incoherent the narrative is.

How are either of these controversial?

I guess a case could be made for Alec Guinness but no-one else was any cop at all in that film. Braveheart is an abomination.

LAH had two problems. One, people arrived in theaters expecting something very different from what they got. Two, the movie itself couldn’t quite decide whether it was a genre piece or a send-up of the genre. In many ways it was a brilliant send-up of the genre, but then it went off the rails and became a generic action film in the end. Despite that, there are so, so many brilliant bits in it, and the action pieces are done well. “What I want to say to you is… rubber baby buggy bumpers. You didn’t expect that, did you?”

The Last Action Hero is a geninely intelligent, self-deprecating action film.

No wonder it bombed.

What do you mean? SATC2 truly left me shaken AND stirred.

District 9’s earnestness made me shudder. It was at that point that I stopped taking the Oscars seriously… for real.

Burn after Reading really is very good, better than No Country which I found rather dull. Kelly Macdonald is excellent though.

Hurt Locker was awful. (And it was at that moment I decided I really had had it with the Oscars, for real this time.)

It’s hard to imagine with the kind of person Mel Gibson turned out to be that anyone would still enjoy his older films as much as they used to.

My unpopular opinion is not a specific movie, but a movie fad - I think 3D fucking sucks and I want it to die in a fire.

Serously, we wanted to see The Green Hornet (my wife, my son, myself) and it was ONLY available in 3D and we got charged EXTRA to see it - $12 a ticket (up 150% normal price). It wasn’t even worth seeing in 3D - most movies aren’t. The 3D effect is not that interesting, and the color and clarity of the film is dulled to boot!

I should have just waited and bought it on Blu Ray for about a third the price I paid for it in the theatre. Sheesh.

Michael Bay is the quintessential American Auteur.

oooohhh hot dang.

Actually, apart of me wishes for a movie podcast featuring bad boys 2, if only for a Kelly Wand synopsis…a bad boyopsis if you will…

Vanilla Sky is a great movie and more engaging than the Spanish original.

Inglourious Bastards is a borefest, and the same goes for Death Proof.

I totally agree with all of these. I liked The Postman the first time I saw it in the theater. I wasn’t crazy about Kingdom of Heaven when I first saw it, but it gets better with repeated viewings and is now one of my all-time favorites, and I can’t even sit through Blade Runner these days.

I knew someone would beat me to it.

ET sucked even watching it as a kid, and made me want to punch a baby.

Winter’s Bone wallowed far too much in its own miserablism, I assume to come across all ‘intense’ and ‘real’.
Jennifer Lawrence, while really giving it a good go, ends up coming across all Cinderella-ish especially when the rest of the village shows up in all their warty glory.
It really had all the makings of a great Southern Gothic noir, unfortunately I had the impression that the director kind of overlooked the absurdity of the narrative, which I admit was there although I’m not sure that it was intentional.

By the way, I actually enjoyed Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones.

I’m not sure why people are insisting on saying other peoples’ unpopular opinions are wrong. They’re unpopular! That’s the point of the thread! Arguing is redundant!

Jackie Brown is Tarantino’s best movie.
Inglourious Basterds is tedious, self-indulgent tripe and boring despite the fact they crammed twice as much story into it as it needed.
Brad Pitt is a fantastic actor and is unfairly considered lesser simply because he’s attractive.
A Bug’s Life is an excellent adaption of Seven Samurai and more enjoyable than the Magnificent Seven.
Last Man Standing is an underrated adaption of Yojimbo and every bit as good (or fun?) as Fistful of Dollars. Though seriously, someone should remake Yojimbo set in a high school.
Harrison Ford should retire before we forget that he once was in some good movies. Sean Connery was right, you fool!
Goonies doesn’t hold up. Neither does Highlander. And god, but I hate Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That’s probably not its fault, though. I hate it for the same reason I don’t much care for Christianity. Its followers and the people who relentlessly quote it.
The part in Revenge of the Sith where Obi Wan shouts that Anakin was supposed to be the chosen one always chokes me up.
Pixar’s best movie is still Finding Nemo.
I still like Shrek and Shrek 2, even though it’s become fashionable to hate them. I doubt they’ll hold up, though.

lol @ the Python thing. I know exactly what you mean…

You’re just bitter because your mother was an hamster…

THEM’S FIGHTIN’ WORDS.

Yes

Inglourious Basterds is tedious, self-indulgent tripe and boring despite the fact they crammed twice as much story into it as it needed.

I agree.

Brad Pitt is a fantastic actor and is unfairly considered lesser simply because he’s attractive.

For people who don’t agree, see Burn After Reading, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, 12 Monkeys, Seven.

A Bug’s Life is an excellent adaption of Seven Samurai and more enjoyable than the Magnificent Seven.

Ayup!

Last Man Standing is an underrated adaption of Yojimbo and every bit as good (or fun?) as Fistful of Dollars. Though seriously, someone should remake Yojimbo set in a high school.

Someone should.

Harrison Ford should retire before we forget that he once was in some good movies. Sean Connery was right, you fool!

Harrison Ford was only in 9 movies by my count. Indiana Jones Trilogy, Star Wars, The Fugitive, Air Force One and Blade Runner. Everything else doesn’t count and will never count.

Goonies doesn’t hold up. Neither does Highlander. And god, but I hate Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That’s probably not its fault, though. I hate it for the same reason I don’t much care for Christianity. Its followers and the people who relentlessly quote it.

Absolutely.

Pixar’s best movie is still Finding Nemo.

Motherfucking Right!, Though Monster, INC is a close second.

I still like Shrek and Shrek 2, even though it’s become fashionable to hate them. I doubt they’ll hold up, though.

I’ll agree with you on Shrek 2. 1 irks me for some reason.