Upcoming Disney & Pixar movies

(list was copyed from Cartoon Brew http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ )

Pixar
June 27, 2008
Wall-E directed by Andrew Stanton

May 29, 2009
Up directed by Pete Docter

June 18, 2010
Toy Story 3 directed by Lee Unkrich

Summer 2011
Newt directed by Gary Rydstrom

Winter 2011
The Bear and the Bow directed by Brenda Chapman

Summer 2012
Cars 2 directed by Brad Lewis

Disney:
November 26, 2008
Bolt directed by Chris Williams and Byron Howard

Christmas 2009
The Princess and the Frog directed by John Musker and Ron Clements (Note: this marks the return of hand-drawn animation to Disney)

Christmas 2010
Rapunzel directed by Glen Keane and Dean Wellins

King of the Elves directed by Aaron Blaise and Robert Walker

Outside of Wall-E, nothing is really that interesting. Sure I’ll see Toy Story 3 and I want to see more of The Princess and the Frog but over all it seems like the Pixar magic is taking a back seat. Also Cars 2? Really?

No Brad Bird ? Fuck that.

Brad Bird has left animation and is currently doing a live action historical movie on the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Yeah but we need an Incredibles 2. On the other hand we really don’t need a Cars 2 nor a Toy Story 3.

Actually, I’ve been kind of interested in the Princess and the Frog and Rapunzel for their animation styles. Also, if I remember correctly, Princess and the Frog is supposed to be a cajun setting with a blues soundtrack.

I know it’s what they’ve built their name and empire on, but I’d really like Pixar to ditch the whole feel good buddy vibe and take on something darker, like Dark Crystal or Nimh. Those are the movies that influenced my childhood, the ones with the dark crannies. All this overlit happy-go-lucky stuff is so forgettable (I loved Incredibles and Monsters Inc and felt they were going to be promising springboards, but then Cars and Ratatouille came out. Phoie.)

I’m sad now.

Have you read up on these titles elsewhere? Because, just going by the list, I don’t have a clue if I should be excited about them just based on the titles.

On the upside, he’s still doing it with Pixar.

I think Up sounds fucking rad myself - Pixar’s loose take on Don Quixote. But I agree with all others on Cars 2.

April Fools?

I hope?

Nope.

Then again, doing one live-action movie doesn’t necessarily mean that he has “left animation.” It’s not like he’s sworn off animation or anything like that - and Pixar is still providing the backing for 1906.

I’m in favor of a good director directing whatever films he feels like directing. I figure worst-case is maybe he finds out/decides live action is too different/too much more hassle/too aggravating by being unable to erase parts of the actors and draw funny heads on them when they’re mouthy/whatever, and returns to animated fare later. Best case is he directs another good movie that happens to be live-action.

Up could be good but its not one I’m excited about.

Need I say it?

Word.

You mean the stuff that bankrupted multiple animation studios in the '80s? Probably not on their to-do lists. I’d like to see it, too, since Secret of NIMH was one of my favorite animated films as a kid, but I just don’t think it’s gonna happen, and I totally understand why.

By the way, if you want to see a seriously dark and strange cartoon, track down The Mouse And His Child. It was my absolute favorite movie when I was very young, and I wore out two videotape copies of it watching it over and over. I watched it again a couple years ago, and my parents must have been rather concerned at the time. You can probably find it on Google video or YouTube.

eff this, Disney and Pixar gotta get over whatever licensing problems they have and fix theirselves (just read “iCon”, seems like there may be some antagonism between Pixar and Disney).

I just went to DisneyWorld, and didnt’ see much in the way of Pixar based attractions. One Buzz Lightyear ride. Can anyone riddle me why they haven’t upgraded that crappy Grand Prix (Tomorrowland) into a Piston Cup attraction? There isn’t really a good incredibles ride, but there should be.

Pixar is the best thing to happen to disney in a long time. I’ve spent so much on crappy Cars merchandise it isn’t funny. I’d like to see more original stuff and no sequels though, that’s for sure.

And hopefully no more High School Musical movies, thought I hear “they” are already writing #4

Fuck all y’all hatin’ on Cars. I loved that movie. Maybe I’ve just got a weakness when it comes to Disney and Pixar in general, but I’m all for Cars 2. It actually did pretty well. As opposed to Incredibles, which was one of their least performing movies since Bug’s Life. Not that I wouldn’t love a sequel to Incredibles, but I’m not surprised.

What I’m really glad is that they’ve decided against attempting to do a Nemo 2. Finding Nemo’s one of their best movies in my estimation, and it’s not something that ever needs to be revisted. Ever.

As far as the Disney flicks, I’m hyped for The Princess and the Frog. It looks like a huge departure from the old Disney movies. Also, to see how Rapunzel turns out. Even if it’s bad, I really hope that they can execute the oil painting style they’re going for.

The King of the Elves? Really? Is it going to be based on Johann Wolfgang von Goethe’s Der Erlkönig? I know that ages ago there were rumors of Disney tackling Tam Lin, but this clearly isn’t the same. I look forward to seeing how they tackle what is a pretty dark little fairy tale. Then again, hey, Disneyfication! They added gospel singers to Hercules, so who can say what they’ll do here. I just hope they use Schubert’s lied.

Uh. Well, Nemo’s got a ride in Epcot and a show in the Animal Kingdom. There’s Toy Story Pizza Planet at Disney Studios, as well as a new Toy Story-based ride and the Cars characters being featured in the daytime parade. Over at the Magic Kingdom there’s the Buzz Lightyear ride and a Monsters Inc show. You can see Woody, Jessie and Bullseye in Frontierland throughout the day. Buzz Lightyear makes appearances in Tomorrowland. The Monsters Inc and Incredibles characters can be found regularly in Disney studios.

So I’m not really sure where you’re going with the above. Maybe you just weren’t looking? At all?

King of the Elves is based on a Philip K Dick story.

The Incredibles and Ratatouille are the second and third highest grossing Pixar films worldwide respectively. Finding Nemo is first.

Ditto. Maybe it’s because my daughter really loved it, but I liked Cars quit ea bit, too. Not their best to date, but I’ve never gotten the hate.