Upcoming Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender, "The Legend of Korra"

The action is spectacular. I approve so hard.

The clip reminds me of Birdy the Mighty Decode.

Korra looks decidedly un-pacificistic. I love it! And that was definitely the voice of Sokka at the end, but I don’t think he’s been announced a cast member. Just a neat cameo, I bet, or maybe he’s the new cabbage man.

Maybe he’s playing one of his sons?

I love that they’re hitting themes that were only hinted at in the first series. We saw the Fire Nation able building ships and tanks to attack previously invincible locations, changing the old older of things, but it wasn’t really addressed head on. All through the old series, I was thinking about the long term consequences of the industrialization – the benders themselves less and less important. Every bender city used to be entirely dependent on that element’s benders, but now? Looks like they’ve given up on dividing the nations by element. And even on heritary rule, establishing a republic. It did kinda bother me just that nobody had a problem with Zuko becoming the Fire Lord because his Father was. They mention that Zuko and Ang founded the new mixed republic city. Sweet.

That trailer looks great - I love the “modern” (well, fantasy dieselpunk?) city. And the art looks even better in motion. swoon

It makes me think that Aang died young because of Sokka and the statue. I hope I’m just overthinking things but wouldn’t his statue be of him as an adult? And Sokka looked exactly like Sokka and sounded exactly like Sokka but was drawn slightly older, it seemed.

H.

I forget how many years later this is, but Aang’s son is in it as an adult or old man, voiced by JK Simmons. Aang didn’t die that young.

Edit: it’s 70 years later. If Aang was 15 at the end of the original series, and Korra is 15 and was born when he died, then he was 85. Is that right? I’m getting confused.

Okay. So. I never watched this. I did see the movie, but in my defense, it was for the RiffTrax. I have a few questions:

1. How hard will it be for me to watch the first series, beginning to end, without a Netflix membership or streaming (i.e. how hard is…Nickelodian?..re-running this, etc.)?

2. How hard will it be for me to forget the weird, synchronized earth guy battle dancing from the movie?

I don’t think Sokka is in the trailer.

I don’t know if Nickelodeon is rerunning the series currently. Maybe a local library has the DVDs?

1. How hard will it be for me to forget the weird, synchronized earth guy battle dancing from the movie?

The animated series has plenty of group bending/synchronized bending. But the animated series doesn’t suck. It’s the “lack of sucking” and “being actually lovely and well made” which will make you forget the movie.

You watched the last few seconds, right? Same face, same voice, same comic-relief mannerisms, different hair. I guess it’s his son if the timeline isn’t screwy.

H.

It might be a Sokka impersonator. Sure, Aang founded the republic, but Sokka became bigger than Elvis. On account of he’ll rock ya.

Nickelodian is doing 3 eps a day still. Late night it is either showing a replay of those 3, or it’s doing a separate playthrough with 3 more eps. I can’t recall which it’s doing right now (it’s done both styles at times in the past).

Here’s the thing. One of these, or possibly both, is using little info bubbles to talk about the show. If you have watched the series these are wonderful (in fact, I should check and see if the DVDs include these. I’d buy a second copy of the series to get this). If you have not watched the series you are going to get spoiled here. Not ZOMG, ZUKO AND SOKKA FALL IN LOVE ON THE LAST EPISODE spoiled. But they rather overtly hint/speak of things to come in the series, and with some frequency.

I consider the dvd boxed set to be one of my greatest purchases ever.

I assume that’s Bolin, one of Korra’s sidekicks in the series. He’s got a squarer face than Sokka, a stockier build, and much heavier eyebrows. But I think they will have somewhat similar personalities. He’s got a brother who’s more brooding that some people are comparing to Zuko. I assume things will be more nuanced than that.

Houngan and Hugin are fighting. This is like when there’s an evil clone of the hero, but you can tell because one of them wears a funny hat, but then the hat falls off, and the sidekicks don’t know which one to shoot.

I don’t think we’re fighting.

THE JOKE STANDS.

Fine. Who is the President on the Battlestar Galactica?

I’m trying, but I don’t get it.

I doubt that’s really Sokka. It may be the same voice actor delivering a jokey line.