OK also going to trawl for technical opinions here. I posted I just upgraded in the AMD Ryzen thread. I have the odd situation where the manufacturer is offering RMA, but I’m not sure I need to.
New Mobo: Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi), 4 dimm slots
New CPU: Ryzen 3700x
New Memory: Corsair CMK16GX4M2K4400C19 ver 4.31 16GB dual-channel 2x8
Memory is on Asus list for that mobo. Build is one my son and I put together, we’ve both done this before so assume non-idiot protocols followed, BIOS updated etc.
Put it together and it BSODed during driver installs. I went to bed. When I got up, son said it was running, but only on a single stick. Didn’t matter which stick. I did a couple more boots and verified that if you put in both sticks this always happened:
Booted, passed POST, failed memtest (once hard enough that no BSOD just froze all)
using Windows 10 memtest. Subsequent reboots gave memory Qcodes: 22 mostly for me. I tried default timing and manually setting timing. Never could get them to pass a memtest as a pair. Other than that one try at setting timings everything done CMOS reset default each trial.
ASUS offers to RMA board. Sending RAM back to Newegg.
Decided to test new board with RAM from old board, as known to be good. G .Skill F4-3866C18-4GTZ, also 16GB, 4x4 factor, very similar timings, not on ASUS list for Mobo, 4 years old and was a set made for Intel compatibility.
Old Ram POSTed, passed Memtest on single stick. Feeling intrigued, I put all four in: POSTed, then passed Windows 10 memtest and reboot clean. Huh. Miles past new Corsair set.
I included memory models as that’s relevant. (unapproved) Test memory used all four slots and dual channels. So theoretically should test anything on mobo that might have caused new (approved) memory to fail. Theoretically.
So I make a passmark memtest USB and wail on it for 7 1/2 hours. Run 3Dmark. Try a couple games that should exercise it and watch voltages/temp for memory & cpu on another monitor.
Should I RMA mobo anyway?
Asked ASUS and they want it still. I am Returning the Corsair memory that never passed a memtest, definitely. Leaning to getting a G.Skill that is on the mobo list with that refund, doing more testing with that before I decide. Was it only the new memory? What testing is enough to trust, or not, the new mobo? Suggestions?