Uplay Tries To Beat Origin At Trying To Beat Steam

I don’t know. Getting banned for using a rejected key. I understand the want to punish anyone trying something funky, like bots… but the auto-ban thing seems especially harsh, even if it was only an hour.

I’d tend to agree if it was only an invalid key, but the key you redeemed was blacklisted and an hour temp ban seems reasonable, if even a little short as a measure of automated fraud prevention.

I do not believe it is reasonable to temp ban a guy who has bought other Ubisoft games and uses his account regularly. He’s clearly not some bot trying finagle a free game and if their client wasn’t a duct-taped together mess they could easily flag such behavior and issue bans if more than one invalid key were being spammed into the client. Unfortunately, it’s Uplay we’re dealing with here.

In actuality there are actually 3 entities who FAILed in my situation:

1. GGG for not informing me that my credit card rejected payment, thus leaving me in the dark that my key was cancelled;

2. Ubisoft for not having live tech support, sufficient notice as to the nature and length of the ban, or even responding to my support ticket (which until now is answered); and

3. ME, for wanting to play a Ubisoft game despite their notoriety for poor customer relations and dumbass DRM.

Biggest culprit would probably be the third entity since, without me, there wouldn’t be an issue at all. GGG wouldn’t have to cancel a game key, and Ubisoft wouldn’t have another irate customer spreading the gospel truth about their incompetent tech support. lol

Well, at least Settlers 7 is a damn good game, enjoy it.

It is, but after playing the online version of settlers, and meeting with really friendly people in a guild, I’m starting to regret getting Settlers 7. It detracts from my time to go online and play settlers with my guild mates.

It’s fun to play online as well, with or against others.

I bought 3 games from GGG at xmas and my card was rejected but there was zero indication of it and all 3 keys arrived by email and all didn’t work.

Nothing from GGG saying your card has failed and so on.

Very stupid imo as there was no reason for the card failure.

Never used them again and won’t until they sort the issue out I mean everywhere else can do the not sending codes out if payment fails so why not GGG. I mean you pay and we send you codes and then if payment fails we black list the keys but dont tell you payment has failed at all just wicked customer service.

Add to that you can get temp banned by ufail as well even just for an hour and it you have no idea why not, excellent just excellent.

UPlay is such a piece of garbage.

Just slap the game on Steam and bury Uplay.
You simply don’t have the knowledge / skill to run such a platform.

Oh and don’t forget: You announced that you wanted to mend relations with the PC gaming community…

Good god man, what more do you want?! They’re giving away unannounced prerelease games for free!

Update: Polygon reports that Ubisoft has shut down its uPlay download and DRM service in wake of the exploit. An Ubisoft spokesperson told Polygon that no personal information was compromised, and that uPlay will be “unavailable until the problem is fixed however all other uPlay services remain available.”

Does this mean that until it’s turned back on, none of the Uplay games work? Can someone play Anno 2070 online right now? And by online I mean so that their -you know- paid for DLC works? Not talking about offline mode which disables the DLC and some other features.

From a story last month, other publishers’ games are on UPlay too, including Telltale, WB, and even EA. Not sure how many titles these other publishers have on the service, but since the downloads were apparently DRM-free, Ubi could be facing significant exposure here.

According to one of the statements they’ve only disabled the download service - the other Uplay services still are running.

I got an email from them last week saying their uplay money is cancelled as well as some other feature I can’t remember. Also, I can’t understand why I can’t see all the games that I registered on the client. Either I’m doing something wrong, or they really don’t want poeple to have any reason to open ghat pos software.

I’m guessing that’s part of their download service that they shut down for the time being.

As far as I can tell from owning two or three games that use UPlay that’s working as intended. My Steam-purchased copy of Anno only works when it opens its own separate instance of UPlay and isn’t visible if I try to open the client as a standalone.

Correct. I have Settlers 7 on the separate Uplay client and Far Cry 3 and Trials on Steam-Uplay. Each Steam-Uplay game opens its own Uplay client. For example, launching Far Cry 3 does not indicate that I own Settlers 7 or Trials, even though my rewards point total does show the correct amount from all three games.

It’s a clusterfuck.

Love how the uplay version of Far Cry 3 — DLC patch – opens internet explorer and asks me to download a .exe from the web page.
Thats integration.

multiple levels of wrong.
only if IE is the default browser sould a program open it

DRM is basically a bug, so can’t be implemented in a way that is not a problem for everyone. I feel sad for them.