US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

Yeah, no shit, that’s perfect.

It’s a good response. Now, I eagerly await the big baby’s counter.

Adult response would be to have the SOTU in the Oval Office or at another venue.
Crybaby response would be to say you’re going to show up on the 29th at the House anyway and see what happens.

So far, it is

“I’m not surprised,” Trump said when a reporter told him about the news. “It’s really a shame what’s happening with the Democrats. They’ve become radicalized.”

Yeah, keep working that slant, asshole.

The state of the union is supposed to be to Congress, not necessarily the public. He can have an address from the Oval Office, but it’s not the SOTU.

It will go on as long as republican senators allow it, shithead, and not a minute longer.

What if he just shows up on the 29th? The networks would still cover it, and you can be sure that every GOP member of Congress would attend. He doesn’t give a crap about propriety, norms or traditions. So who could stop him from simply ignoring Pelosi?

I think it can be, if he wants to call it that. There have been SOTUs that were delivered to congress in the form of a letter in the past.

To the House? Pelosi could literally have him locked out.

Edit: I shouldn’t have used “literally” there. Or maybe I should thanks to the newer, dumb definition of “literally” meaning “figuratively”? In any case, she can just not open the floor. He can physically show up, but she can turn off cameras, etc.

The optics of Trump forcing himself into the House while a woman tries to prevent would be…probably immensely valuable to his base.

And now I kind of want him to show up with cameras all over the place and have the door locked, just sit there and watch him try and yank on it over and over again to get it open.

It’s really, really important to note the “clean CR” only lasts until February 8th. At this pace, all it does is kick the can down the road a bit, but I suppose that’s better than nothing, though if the Gov’t shuts down again then, I expect a lot of people to get fed up (seeing mass resignations, etc… in other words, just what the Stephen Miller’s of the world want)>

I presume there is nothing in there about back pay for those that have missed checks?

If they re-open, the government can immediately issue back pay to affected workers.

There was some talk about the feasibility of opening the government for one day to issue paychecks to workers forced to work with no checks, even.

But congress would have to pass that separately?

Maybe the ‘event’ will be Trump in the Oval throwing shit at the walls. That would be a great metaphor for his two years.

Yeah, anything they do to reopen the government has to be done with a bill or continuing resolution, I think. But the back pay reimbursement for missed paychecks happens automatically once a CR or bill is approved and signed to reopen, even if for just a limited span of time.