US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

Nope. Nancy will whip the votes in line.

Ah, thanks! I’m still skeptical that this is a huge win. I don’t think the asshole should get anything at all after pulling his stunt. I can’t imagine the GOP ever compromising and giving anything up if the Democrats try this when they’re in charge.

It sure will be an early test of her ability to do so. She made it happen in the fall of 2008 on the bailout, so we’ll see.

Yep… Nancy will have enough votes to pass it. It won’t be unanimous, but it doesn’t have to be. That’s one of the benefits of crushing the opposition last year ;)

If she fails, then the media will blame her for the shutdown.

You’re suggesting a pretty dramatic overplaying of a hand, I think.

I’m sure you’re right, just hate the thought of compromising with these shitbags after all the obstruction and general assholery McConnell, Ryan, and the other slime put the country through.

You have to compromise on some things, when the other side controls most of the government.

(You’re probably more sure than me. :) I just have a mild suspicion that this is a decent-ish deal for the Dems…but I think my bigger hypothesis is that it’ll be perceived as a good deal for them – whether or not that’s totally true – and balking at it may cede the high ground in this fight.)

Can you explain? Trump gets a little bit of his wall built, so what do Democrats get in exchange?

So, $1.375 billion for 55 miles of fence is like $4,734 dollars per foot of fencing.

Satisfaction of a job well done. Probably not ponies.

The Dems got a reduction in beds, while Trump got some wall (bollard fencing is more or less a wall, regardless of how people spin it).

But a Democratic congressional aide told the Daily News that the committee has agreed to tuck away $1.375 billion for the construction of 55 miles of “bollard fencing” — “no wall,” said the aide — while reducing the number of detention beds at the disposal of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency by 17.4%, from 49,057 to 40,520.

The reduction in detention beds puts “a critical check on the Trump administration’s mass deportation policy that is tearing communities apart,” the aide said.

The decrease in beds was sought by Democrats, who argue it will force ICE to focus on deporting criminals and people who pose a security threat instead of “law-abiding immigrants who are contributing to our country,” as Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-Calif.) put it Sunday.

It’s not a clear win for either side. However, the Dems didn’t run based on this specific issue, whereas “Build the Wall” was Trump’s core promise to much of his base. 55 miles of bollard fencing is not ‘winning.’

If Democrats get nothing to advance their agenda, how is this a better deal than the previous one?

Ok, well at least this is tangible. Not really sure if it actually helps though.

They can’t really advance their agenda. Not when the GOP controls the Senate and the White House (and the Supreme Court).

But they can shut down a bunch of the bullshit the GOP was running riot on during the first two years of this administration.

And, you could argue, that is their agenda.

Pelosi can advance her agenda by demanding something in exchange for advancing the Senate agenda. Otherwise neither legislative agenda should advance.

Like what? And don’t you think Pelosi and Schumer and their other tacticians in the party haven’t thought about that?

I think they have thought about that. And they thought a decrease in beds was a worthwhile trade. I’m not sure I agree.

The big win for the Dems here is that Trump doesn’t get to build his monstrously expensive vanity project. 55 miles of bollard fencing is not the wall his base wants. So he looks weak, and the country didn’t waste $100b or more on a monument to xenophobia.

Remember, Pelosi and Schumer got in a shutdown fight last year that ended badly for them.

As long as the Democrats remain looking like the reasonable and adult option, they can win. Which is why the GOP is terrified of another shutdown.