Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

Hours of hauling ore out of swamp tombs, end result, full iron outfit and iron tower shield. Being able to facetank trolls, and take zero damage…soooooooooooo…awesome. This game really is magic, fun stuff.

From humbe beginnings, blood, sweat and tears:

It only took me like six hours, while my buddy was off exploring new biomes.

So much stone…

Anyone know if you can find copper in the swamp? I had to sail to a new island to defeat the 2nd boss. He spawned in a small spit of black forest with swamp on the edge. I’m trying to set up a new base here but this small section of forest doesn’t have any copper.

Nope. You’ll need to find a different patch of black forest. Look for it on the slopes that lead up to a mountain.

Bagged my second serpent yesterday.

Finally found a rune showing where bonemass is and he’s halfway across the map. While exploring on the way I came in a little too close to check out this village on the coast and learned that the mosquito things will chase you really far over the water. Fortunately they don’t take much damage.

Sailed long into the night by the light of a full moon.

By the light (by the light)
of the silvery moooon…

doobie do

Yep, even if the devs decide to take the money and immediately retire to tropical islands, I hope they hire some additional staff to stay behind and finish the game.

Case in point: as a left-hander who just started the game, Valheim gets a sincere cheer for supporting keyboard remapping. Many Early Access games do not. Indeed, some games don’t support keyboard remapping even on initial release (I’m looking at you, Phoenix Point.)

It also gets a mild boo for not supporting remapping all the keys, especially some of the most important ones. Namely the hot item selection keys, which are hard-mapped to 1-8. This is more important than in say, an RPG, as building in Valheim is modal to having the hammer equipped, so you’re swapping your equipped item constantly. I really hope they fix that in upcoming patches.

I’ll never understand this about game developers, it’s a trivial thing to implement from the get-go. There’s no excuse for a game not including it, EA or not. That’s a real bugbear of mine, so I’m glad Valheim has it from day one.

I don’t understand why this sort of game isn’t constantly autosaving. Is this a complex thing to do?
Well, the games crashes quite often for me so I have to save the game by logging out and logging in again. I just lost ~15min. of progress again. Mhm.

Weird, I haven’t had a single crash in 61 hours played, and I have a fairly horrible system lol. Wonder what does it.

I understand why they don’t want you to just save anywhere, but yah, you would think they could do a better job of auto saving. It is early access, so maybe that will get changed at some point.

It autosaves every 20 minutes. It’s not doing it constantly because the game pauses briefly every time it does it.

I’m having a rough time with the swamp boss, and it’s really killing my interest to play.

I spent a lot of time getting ready for this guy, made poison resist potions, full iron set, iron mace, 160 health. The biggest problem is all of the poison going on. I can usually time it to get away from the boss, but there are always blob adds running around that will invariably poison me. I’m also going to run out of iron mace before I can kill him, it doesn’t help that there are a billion adds that also have to be killed, I guess I need to bring 4 iron maces with me… Given how long it’s going to take me to kill him, I just don’t see how I stay alive long enough. I’ve watched some youtube people doing it, but I think they all have much higher blunt skill than I do. If that’s the case, and given how slowly you level skills, it’s going to be a month real time before I can kill this guy.

I do wish the game had difficulty settings for at least boss mobs. I just don’t dig damage sponge gameplay.

Now this is how you hunt serpents!

I haven’t gotten remotely close to that one yet, as I’ve farted around with building stuff but if the blobs are small groups have you tried the stag hammer on them? If you’re getting swarmed perhaps the knockback might be useful and save your mace some extra wear.

I’d offer to help, but I only just got my first pieces of troll armor made and I’ve not tried the second boss or gotten any smelting stuff or anything yet.

I beat Bonemass yesterday. The first half of the fight was a mess, then I got a pattern going. The key to the battle is the iron sledge. A couple of hits, or a one shot if upgraded, will take out all the skeletons and blobs he spawns. You’ll also want the iron mace. Basically let him chase you and watch when he attacks. If he swipes at you step or roll back and then immediately roll forward and give him three hits with the mace or one with the sledge and roll out again. If he clutches his belly just back off since that’s the poison attack. When he throws a blob switch to the sledge and just run over to it and pound them all where they land.

I took time to flatten the land around his spawn point and clear the trees I could so I wouldn’t get hung up on things. I also put down some circles of spikes. He would generally avoid them, but that worked out since while he went around them I could slow down and get some stamina back.

Also I was able to port back to back to regain my rested status and port back to the battle without him destroying my outpost. I made sure he wasn’t real close when I retreated to it.

Maybe try a mod: Valheim Plus at Valheim Nexus - Mods and community

I have no experience. I’m still debating on whether to pick this up since I would play solo and the only “survival” game I’ve ever played is No Mans Sky.

Had no idea there were already mods for this lol. looks like theres a mod for diabling portal restrictions

Is anyone playing on wanderers or other servers? I’m hanging out on wanderers but it’s just me and those jackass graylings.

I have yet to see that server available a single time.

I’ve seen some. You need to be on someones friends list, and they need to tag their session as a server.

Oh for wanderers you need to - (IN STEAM) -

Go to view
click servers
click add a server
paste in the ip - 67.222.152.96:2556
and join from there