Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

This game depresses no end sometimes. I died in the swamp, its a looooooong way from my spawn point. Many hours later, I arrive back to watch Draugr smashing my ship to pieces. I disembark from my raft, collect my stuff from my corpse. Turned around and its spawned skeletons who destroy my raft. Then some blobs appear, poison me and I’m dead again. I’ve yet to decide if I have the will to continue.

I make temp beds whenever I am at all far from home. Resetting your spawn point is very handy, and it takes very little to get a shelter/bed going. For Swamp and above I’d recommend a portal as well, you’ll probably have to repair pretty often.

My new eatery is almost open for business on my island/vacation complex!

Ha! VERY nice! I like the little tiki huts you’ve constructed on the veranda.

I’m hoping to find a similar spot (small peninsula for easier defense) for my next home. Did you have to build up the terrain (if so how?) to get that elevation or was it natural? I figure anything built near water will need to be much higher than sea level to avoid becoming flooded during storms.

You can use the hoe tool to raise terrain, and yes I did. I found a great spot, that has 4 different islands in close proximity, so I’ve decided to go all out and build a resort there lol.

A few things I wish they would tweak.

The workbenches should grab resources from chests, so they don’t have to be in your inventory

Workbench radius should expand as they are upgraded

Some sort of tweak to the decay system outdoors. I generally like that things have to be covered, but it makes it frustrating to try and build steps outside… or bridges

Remove the materials required to refill torches… or make the torches pull from a central depository. I love to light up my buildings, but it is annoying to have to run around with coal or resin or some other material and stock them up (even if the burn-down time is somewhat long)

Speed up sailing a little bit

Make the smoke more visible. It is already an interesting and cool-looking system, but would love to see more pronounced smoke coming from buildings

Stolen from a reddit posting of things devs mentioned in a recent podcast:

Here is a quick written summary I jotted down as I listed. It’s worth a listen - it’s a funny and honest interview. Just some dudes talkin’ about games in a really authentic way.

Considering adding musical instruments to play with other players that provide buffs. (They are not 100% doing this, but they want to do it)
Deathsquitos were added because they wanted a flying enemy, and apparently in Sweden they have lots of mosquitos and everyone hates them.
Potentially thinking about having a guck torch that acts as Deathsquito repellent. They want to avoid straight numerical buffs/nerfs to things in the world where possible, but rather create tools for the players to better tackle them. So if Trolls are too strong, they would add something that helps you kill them, rather than make Trolls weaker.
Hearth and Home update – Possibly adding Tar Pits that you can harvest tar from that you can use on wood structures to help make them more durable/resistant to rain. More build options, like shingled roofs, steeper roof angles, etc. (They mention specific Swedish/Scandinavian building types that I can’t understand)
Cult of the Wolf update – no info revealed.
Ships and the Sea update – customizable ships, the oceans more populated, more ships (a cargo ship potentially?)
Going to take their time with updates, only releasing things when they’re really done. “We focus on making things work first.”
New Biomes take the longest to develop.

Should really check out the Valheim plus mod on Nexus Mods. They’re doing some great things to tweak gameplay and take out some of the more time intensive elements.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

Okkkkk…been working on my resort!!!

Sorry, couldn’t help it, having way too much fun lol.

Has anyone played this game with smaller children yet?

It looks like it might be simpler than some of the other survival games but not as basic as some of the ones actually geared for actual children.

Awesome pics!

Can’t wait till we get a Hemnes Bookcase or a Malm dresser ingame

I have not, but I would say it is possible. it’s a fairly “simple” game, and if you have a few people you can have one person build the base, one person gather food, one person gather wood etc and it feels like a little camp. The one thing some kids may have trouble with is it is quite punishing, you can end up far away from home with all your stuff in the ocean and it may cause some to get… emotional at times. Can be a bit difficult

Nephew’s dad doesn’t really enjoy playing games for young kids, games like grounded or Minecraft. Nephew’s mom, that my sister, is not happy when nephew starts panicking say during horde night or anything else scary goes after him. Nephew loves playing game she thinks the grown-ups love, and he hordes resources.

Auntie, that’s me, keeps buying these coop games only to have one of the three just reject them for some random reason. This game is inexpensive, looks less complicated than say something like ARK or 7 Days, and it sounds like some of the larger complaints are the maps might be a little empty compared to the more mature like games. Nephew’s mom would probably really appreciate it’s not another Zombie game too so all the mobs don’t look like people.

Every time I look at this I keep thinking, this look like a game he can play, won’t scare the heck out of him, and it’s got the building stuff so he and daddy can fight over resources. It also doesn’t look like it’s made for kids, sheesh when did games designed for kids get so rejected by actual kids. Also, it looks like a game I might actually enjoy too so that’s always nice. I mean it has fishing!

Only partially on topic, my soon to be 7 year old nephew hates mouse clickers. It’s like he complete rejects anything where you move with a mouse. WASD or it’s just not going to happen. I have no idea how this happened. He started with tablets… basically clicking with a finger and now he is a WASD snob.

Steam is telling me the Qt3 Wanderers server is not responding. Seems to think it found it by IP. Is it just me?

I have a friend who has the same issue. Our research has shown that this is a very common issue.

I assumed it was down?

Which kinda sucks since all my stuff was there :

But I definitely understand that real life intrudes (plus I think there was a flood?)

Yes, it is a lot simpler than ark in many many ways. Most weapons only have one attack, the flow of the game is pretty simple. It’s relatively easy to kill things with the proper gear and strategy. Skills just lvl up whatever you are doing at the time like run, jump, swim, axe cutting etc.

There is a horde night event where the game will toss a bunch of mobs at your base randomly, and you’ve got to go find crypts and tombs for progression though. I can see someone getting a bit spooked if they don’t like horde events. It’s definitely got a creepy, mysterious atmosphere. It does not feel designed for kids.

Very good for resource hoarders!! they will feel valuable since you use all the resources you gather constantly, eventually, esp if you’ve got a few people playing.

Idk, I’ve played about 70 hours so far with 3 people and it seems like it’d be a fit for your group based on your description. i think if you’ve got 3-5 people who can play together this game will just be a blast

Wanderers server is back up. It seems to need a manual restart every few days, so please PM me if it’s down and I’ll get it back up ASAP.

Awesome. Thank you