Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

Those pics are amazing, and the postcard presentation is brilliant! I both LOL’d at the captions and was in total awe of the time, effort and skill that must have taken. I like how you used the smaller cross pieces as lounge chairs!

I spent a good hour or more last night just scouting the map. It is time for me to move on to mining, gathering and hunting in the Black Forest, but I had yet to encounter any Black Forest biome. I suspected the closest instance lay northeast of my Meadows homestead, so I built another chest, unloaded everything but my weapons, armor, tools and some food, and set out on a recon mission. I knew from previous scouting and hunting that there were large bodies of water to both my east and west, in fact the raven dropped me at the original runestones not far from the western sea’s edge and I’d migrated east ever since. So I followed the western shoreline north, and eventually uncovered the edge of a Black Forest biome. I scouted in a bit to make sure it wasn’t just some small offshoot, then started trekking east along the edge between the forest and the meadow to both uncover map and see if the forest ran all the way to the opposite coast. It does.

Once I reached the east coast I remembered the advice from here in the thread about building near, but not right on the edge, of the Black Forest, so I scouted south along the coast and discovered a nice little outcropping of raised land that juts out into the ocean a bit and includes a circle of stone menhirs that can aid in defense. There is also a nice large open field with the remains of a farm. This seems like a great place to build. I can raise the land on the outcropping and ring it with defenses, keeping my main longhall safe. I can spread out into the field, making smaller crafting/farming stations as needed, and the whole thing is an easy and flat walk north to the forest, so I could even build a cart path to a mining camp just inside the forest borders. I think I have found my new more permanent home.

I built a simple longhall in the stone circle, put a bed (activated), workbench, fire and chests inside. Emptied the wood, stone, tin, etc into the chests, and will make a couple of journey’s back and forth to my old homestead to bring over everything I had stored there (which is a lot). Looks like I’m going to be busy moving and building for a couple of days.

Question about spawns : While my new home site is a good distance from the edge of the Black Forest (it’s not like you can see the pine trees from the field or anything), it still seems to be spawning around 3 Grey Dwarves along the beach in sight of where I’m building (they harassed me at night while I was doing construction). All other spawns in the area are Meadows creatures. Is this something I’m just going to have to live with constantly, or can I clear the spawn somehow so they don’t keep showing up?

Put a workbench and a fire down there, in a small little structure. Mobs won’t spawn too close to those things, so you can use it as sort of a perimeter. Building bases is fun! One thing that happened to me, as the game progressed, is that I got into building smaller and smaller temp bases as I went along. The time it takes to put up a full base, vs the time you’re going to spend in that particular section of biome starts to not add up, especially once you get portals. That being said, there is nothing wrong with making a bunch of bases, because it’s great fun lol.

The world is a lot bigger than it first appears, there are a LOT of all of the various biomes, and the map is actually quite huge.

I’m in the process of moving to a new house on Wandereres.
Somewhere ne from the start spot on an island.

So far i’ve gotten attacked by draugr once even though I’ve never been to the swamp.

Portals definitely help too, but it’s a short walk from spawn.

I need to figure out stability so I can make my house not fall down during construction.

Looks like a new version just came out - server has been updated and ought to be back up.

I’m sold. Thank you!

Started work on my mountain retreat complex :P

Got on to Wanderers server for a bit tonight! Thanks for the tour and the hopitality!

I love the roof beam crosses used as deck rails.

This game has its hooks in me, i feel its my duty to regentrify the meadows and kick out those greylings. I’ve think the random exploring is also a ton of fun. getting better at the combat but still feels a little clunky. Needs some QOL improvements but dang it’s alot of fun.

Logged off for the night, but had to leave a message for may pals…

I spent a little over an hour last night just running back and forth between my first Meadows homestead and my new homestead transferring all of my chest contents. It was actually kind of fun, as I got to test out my new Eikthyr ability (which made the runs a breeze) and I added 10+ levels to my Run skill and a couple more to my Jump skill while virtually skipping through the landscape. I still need to do one or two more runs to get the last of the wood and stone I left behind. I’m going to leave the old homestead intact with a workbench, bed, firepit and two chests just in case I ever need to rest/repair in that corner of the world, which is a good possibility since it’s not far from the initial runestones where you hang the boss heads. When I can build portals I’ll likely just make a portal connection at that homestead.

I also scouted a bit more while making the transport runs and discovered Mountain biome a little south and west of my new homestead. That puts me in easy reach of both Black Forest and Mountain from the new location, and I suspect given what I’ve seen in the distance that if I push further to the south east I will find Swamp. That would set my new permanent home up nicely for some time to come. Once I’ve finished my transport runs and built some additional defenses and maybe a boar pen and some bee hives I am going to establish a forward operating base in the Black Forest and start mining more copper and tin while searching for Burial Chambers for cores.

This is such a great phase of the game, to me the best part! When you are really expanding some core abilities. I think the game balance is really great at this point as well. The enemies you face in Black Forest are challenging but not really annoying.

So sever thing, probably start a new character eh? Ultrazenn on Steam!

Thanks! Trying to use the pretty limited tool kit to make any kind of decoration lol, it’s been really fun trying to shoehorn mundane building materials into some kind of style :P

Another server update. At least they added an incompatible version popup

Updating and restarting.

What do I have to do to get into multi madness?

You can move characters between servers, so you don’t have to start a new one uinless you want to. Recipes and inventory stay with the character.

If you want to play on the Wanderers server, the best way to connect is through the steam server menu, as it someimes doesn’t show up in the in game server list by name.

From Steam, you can go to the View tab → Servers → Add Server (bottom right corner) and enter the IP ( 67.222.152.96:2557 ) there. Then you can connect to server (also in the bottom right corner). Password is Palomides, which was the DAoC server the Wanderers formed on way back in 2001 when I was still reading Gone Gold.

Awesome! Was just wondering what state the server was in, i.e. I don’t want to show up with the bow of doom, if everyone is using crude bows etc. I’ll just roll a new character, it won’t take that long to get going again!

@Ultrazen, your resort is amazing, and totally inspirational. Great work!