Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

Sleep begins when everyone has laid down in bed. Until then, time passes normally. And I agree, it would be nice to be able to sleep in a bed that isn’t a spawn point.

I build tiny outposts in my excursions and explorations as well. It slows things down significantly, but seems to be worth doing. I don’t like long-distance corpse runs, and my biggest fear is losing track of where an important grave is if I’ve died again while trying to reach it.

The game maps are HUGE. You’ll see.

Unless you have a “Sorry! I’ll be building all night! One or two …” Then everyone just lays there in bed while time passes normally all night. Makes sense.

Good point. I play alone, so what little I know about multiplayer I gleaned from streams I was watching when I still thought controller support was too limited. (Turns out I just didn’t try hard enough, and was confused by a couple of button hints that may be mislabeled.)

It’s impossible to get the boys, well man and boy, to actually sleep. I just craft at night while the big one usually gets himself squished in the dark and the little one raids all our chests while “just looking.”

I cant get the rain to stop putting out my campfire. IO tried raising the ground. Putting Core Logs down on the floor (apparently that trick no longer works).

I used Scalacube because it was rated number by some article I read. You are welcome to join my son and me on our server if you want to try it out (PM me for the server ID and instructions of how to join my server). They say that about 5 player on a server is the perfect number. The server can hold ten.

If anyone else wants to give it a go let me know.

I did not load any mods as I am not sure how to do that on the server.

They actually offer a one player server for free. If you want backups they charge a one time payment of ten dollars (that is for both the free one or multi). The paid version is 15 dollars per month. I figure it is like playing an MMO but not so much if you consider that my son and I are playing together. I also created a Discord for notes and talking while playing. It is a ton of fun.

You need a little section of roof covering your chimney, so that it is protected from the weather.

Never mind the campfire, get those signs lined up properly!

Yeah I did that outside but I think the problem is the water is coming form the ground.

Hahahaha! I actually spent a lot of time on that but the chests and signs don’t snap into a grid. I am really proud of the shelves I built.

I have been trying to find the Merchant but no luck. It is like my quest!

Get rid of all of that, and use a single curved roof pieve. floors do not count as roofs in this game and cant stop water.

My chimneys are similar to this, except that they’re usually outside the main structure, and my wall pieces aren’t backwards like this guy’s are.

Thanks a ton!

I noticed that campfires also goes out if the smoke can’t clear away fast enough. So tiny chimney holes don’t work either.

Walls don’t count as roof. Roof is the only thing that will stop rain, your fire isn’t actually covered here.

Get in the habit of carrying the materials for a fire, a workbench, and a bed. Once you use it, just break it down as you get all the mats back. You can go forever this way really. You can usually find a structure to hole up in, and if not, it’s fast enough to get more wood and make a small/temp shelter. Beds are spawn points, so it’s always a good idea to lay one down if you are traveling much. Boats are also something you should get into at this point, they are actually really cheap to make, and will up your exploration by quite a bit, and they are fun. Portals + boats + temp shelter is the way.

A bed is 10 wood, stop thinking of it as a permanent investment.

Just create an additional map marker to your grave. I always do that.

It took me forever to realize you could sleep the night away. That could have saved me a lot of pain beating back dwarves trying to harvest those first copper and tin nodes. It was an adventure at least!

I still rarely use the bed to sleep, but we did before tackling the swamp boss earlier this week and I use it now before I make trips into the Mountain region. I have a fairly large mountain area close to my initial spawn point on my personal map that I have been playing on and I was becoming very concerned there was no silver there. I had found and battled several drake spawns and even found 3 dragon egg locations, but still no silver. However, last night I finally got a ping and found my first one… well I am starting to dig down to find it. I got a little ways down and still can’t see it, but am hoping I can uncover it tonight!

I am still really digging the game. I have lots of progression and exploration to do and haven’t really done much custom building yet. I have yet to even make a simple dock and my make-shift shelter is pretty awful looking even though I can squeak 13 comfort out of it so far.

Oh, and one of the popular mod guys now has a rare loot mod that looks incredible, if you like that sort of thing. I am holding off mods for now, but it looks pretty cool as something to try once the base game becomes a little tiring. Epic Loot at Valheim Nexus - Mods and community

Great idea! I hadn’t considered that. Map-marking is unfortunately the one thing I still can’t do with the controller, though (and I play on a couch).

Map markers are invaluable. I’ve marked nearly every berry and mushroom I’ve come across so I can quickly stock up when needed.

This is what my map looks like now around my main base.

(Oops, when I switched back to the game after taking that screenshot I clicked and accidentally punched one of my wolves. Sorry boy!)

Map markers are awesome! It is embarrassing how long it took me to realize you could use the different marker types on the map!

I need to start marking the caves I have cleared out, and deposits that are depleted like ores that don’t re-spawn. That is a good idea on the berries, and maybe thistle if that repopulates, which I imagine it does like the berries do.