Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

You probably already know, but if you click a second time it adds the red x over the marker. So you can mark the cave/deposit, then click the marker again to make it done.

Hmm, good point! It has been a while since I did that and initially I just thought it was still making a second marker and throwing up the red x to say I was trying to make a marker too close to the first one. It seemed to let me enter a comment again, but perhaps it was just replacing the original. Thanks for the reminder.

It took me a while to notice the red x thing.

Thistle regrows. I didn’t mark that religiously since it’s easy to spot.

Thanks for the tips all! I did make it all the way around and back to my home last night, outlining a large area of land while doing so. Next time I will carry cores for a portal, but I don’t see a need to carry wood, stone, etc. as all of the requirements to make workbenches, fires, beds and such drop from the dozens of gray dwarves I kill every time I leave the house (eyes for the portal too). I made/repaired several shelters with campfires along my trek, but never even thought to make a bed to save/restore. Doh! Thankfully I did not need it in the end.

Killed my first Troll last night while searching for the Trader. I’d heard a rumor that he usually spawns somewhere around the area for The Elder, so I went there on my map and started wandering outward from The Elder’s alter. So far no luck, but at least I know now that I can bring down a troll with fire arrows and my parry skills. I no longer need to fear anything in the Black Forest (at least not one on one).

I found the trader by sailing along forested coastlines. I’ve read that he doesn’t spawn on your initial island. It was true for my map at least. He was also nowhere near either of the elder spawns I found. I haven’t explored around him too much so there may be one just out of sight from his camp.

I thought I was screwed when I saw my first troll walking around the edge of the Black Forest, near where I’d just completed the first pass of my first compound. I figured it was me or them*, and that I’d have to either try to take them down before working any more on that base, or just move away. I decided to fight and see how difficult a troll fight actually is. Turns out it’s not so bad, and kiting and running works pretty well. Provided, that is, you don’t do what I did and lead the troll back to your base during the fight, or forget about clearing boars and greydwarves first. Still, I only lost a couple of gates and walls, and suffered one death during the big fight. And regular flint arrows seemed to work.

Later, I looked it up and read that trolls tend to spawn on the edges of the Black Forest. (Maybe they also spawn near the Elder’s Altar, I have no idea.) Three or four trolls later, I had upgraded troll armor.

As for map marking, I wasn’t clear above that I actually do mark things. Just bases and dungeons, at this point. It’s a pain to have to get up and use the mouse for it, though, so hopefully I’ll discover a controller method.

Recently, I decided to start a fresh, clean map, now that I understand the basics better. Found my first copper deposit on the new map and it had a fully intact stone tower next to it, so I thought I’d try to use it as part of a mining base. My main concern there is structural integrity, as I haven’t unlocked stone yet and can’t repair the tower itself (I guess buildings spawn in already damaged).

* Do trolls have preferred pronouns?

There are troll caves. I’m not sure if they only emerge from there, but I have seen trolls nearby in addition to the one that’s usually inside.

Also another map shot showing the trader. You can see the icon for him toward the top. To give a sense of how far away he was at least in my map.

Yeah it’s a pain, I keep my wireless couch keyboard handy for markers.

I didn’t know this as I try not to read spoilers, but when I made my way to the Elder to build a camp nearby, the marker for the trader indeed showed up very close to him.

He was on my initial island, I haven’t even built a raft yet.

Well there goes that theory then.

The Trader is always in Dark Forest. That is the only requirement. There are several Spawnpoints on a map but he will only spawn at the first point you encounter. Still, if your seed is not great he may be hidden at the edge of the map!

After several hours I had enough and looked for him with this. http://valheim-map.world/ Beware, it will spoil your world!

I’ve been trying to minimize shortcuts and spoilery info as well (not a comment on anything spoilery in this thread), and I fully intend to find my Trader without outside info/resources. I kinda wish I’d cut down on the videos and streams during the period when I thought it would be a while before I’d be able to play, because I learned of a couple of seeds that would provide convenient access to various things like the Trader, and I haven’t been able to forget the seeds due to their racy names. Even resisting jumping over to my starter map to grab stuff from there is proving to be difficult.

Noob question. I’ve just rented a server to play this with my friends. Is this the kind of game where Bad Stuff can happen to our settlement if we don’t happen to be logged in to stop it?

I believe there will only be attacks when you are online. Not sure if they attack when u r out and about on the map.

Don’t leave your doors and gates open. One time I forgot and turned around and had about 8 greys in the room with me lol

Nothing bad can happen while you are disconnected.

My impression is that when a raid event begins (e.g. Eikthyr sends forest creatures after you), the creatures target the radius around whichever player-created structure you are closest to at the time. This is what I’ve experienced so far, anyway. In single-player mode, this only seems to happen when you’re actually playing, but I don’t know how it works in multiplayer (I assume the same rules apply).

@barstein

In agree, it seems they attack when I am at the base. It kinda feels like when I build something new they attack. Could be a coincidence but I finally forged a bronze sword and the the Forest is Moving message appeared. They came into the house. That was fun. I beat them all so they didn’t break anything.

The bronze sword is great mainly because its endurance is higher than the axe. It helps you last longer when exploring. I am thinking of crafting a second one with my axe as the backup.

I built a raft, Be careful as I fell off of it and could not get back on. Luckily it was not too far from shore. Never got the raft back . It just sits there mocking me!

Build another one and sail out to retrieve the first! ;)

Ha ! This game is so much fun!

Anyhoo Portals are where it is at. I am wondering if a portal will make the enemies attack more.

Did you get yourself a server?

I’ve only got one pair of portals so far and have not noticed an increase in attack frequency.

No server yet, I did look at Scalacube but really I think I’d like one with local Au hosting that doesn’t charge extra for the privilege. I am currently looking at Bisect Hosting which looks ok:
https://www.bisecthosting.com/valheim-hosting.php

But I’m in no immediate rush anyway, I’m waiting for my third player to make the decision to hurry up and buy the game. :)

Even if others are online, you only get an attack on a base that has a current inhabitant. So none offline, and none of a person is not present. Person present could be non-combat builder though!

There is a ladder, in the back on the opposite back corner from the rudder. Swim close and use your interact key to get back on. This can be non-trivial to hit with the right timing though in high waves.