Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

Yeah; I tend to avoid early access games like the plague, but I made an exception for Valheim thanks to everyone here and I’m glad I did. I play it regularly with a few friends. We’ve restarted worlds a couple times (including with the 1.3 update) and have just really sunk into the gameplay. I’m also impressed at how well it seems to scale; I first played it on my 2500k and 970 GTX, where it looked “meh” but ran quite smoothly. Then I played it on my 5900X and 3080 RTX and it looks remarkable and still runs smoothly.

The article isn’t wrong, and mirrors some of the thoughts here.

I wonder how many of these problems would have persisted if they didn’t publish (on launch day, i’ll add) a roadmap for 2021 which had 4 updates on it?

I’m sure some people would still be pissed, of course, some people always are. But the argument remains that if they just titled that “Roadmap” instead of “Roadmap 2021”, you’d have way less to be pissed at. And frankly, if you really wanted to go there, you could make an argument that this was something of a bait and switch, with 4 months of delay between “Roadmap 2021” and the announcement that there was “a change to the roadmap” - that’s at least 5.8 million sales, based on 2021 roadmap being announced on feb 2, 1 million vikings announced on feb 10, and 6.8 million vikings on May 20.

So maybe a better article from PC Gamer would ask “how could have Iron Gate and Coffee Stain managed expectations for their smash hit better?”

But i just woke up early from a siesta to find i’m late in starting up my dinner prep and i’m maybe a little snarly…

As someone who has tried to stay away from wikis, I just found out sea serpents are a thing. Great googily moogily.

They’re fun - especially the first few times. Sailing out on the moonlit seas with a friend and spying a “wormsign” is fun.

Just make sure you’ve lots of stamina packed on the guy with the harpoon.

Rearranged some quotes. I met my first on a raft, solo. In a storm. What harpoon? I was just trying to cross a narrow channel near spawn to a shore I could see but that was just past swim distance. I was pre-bronze, and trying to locate dark forest borders. Might have been ok if I had done it during the day.

This game can be like Subnautica that way.

Subsequent sightings have been more fun. That first was total panic.

Heh. Yes - well, panic is just a different kind of fun.

In these types of games I’d have to agree somewhat.

Most panic we had was one of the first times I ran into a swamp with a friend. Set up a palisade around our Knarr and the portal we created, but then suddenly got jumped by a two-star Draugr with a bow. At that point in the game, he could basically one-shot or two-shot us, and promptly decided to do so. And he was so close to the portal that any attempt to go through to recover our stuff basically resulted in getting killed more or less the moment one stepped out of the portal. Cue lots of “hilarious” hijinks to get our stuff back.

Definitely one of my favorite games in recent times, though I don’t know how they build on this. I love the progression between the zones in the game so far, because they add real danger and very different environments for each new zone. It begins to wear a bit thin by the plains, though, so I’m curious as to how they’ll round this out into a “whole” game.

Either way, it’s been well worth it. And really a game to be experienced with friends, IMO - the more the merrier. In many ways, the perfect pandemic game.

Congrats on 10 million sales.

I’m one of them! Waiting on full release to install it though.

Given their pace of development, you might be waiting a very long time… :P

That said, it is a great game to play even now, and one of the few unfinished games I deigned to spend time in last year. :)

I’ll never get tired of hearing about how successful they are, how many ponies they have, the cool real weapons they have, or how many platforms they’ll be producing content for (once they get around to it).

/s

But no Gamepass?

It will be on Gamepass!

/thumbs up

I just watched the trailer, 2 minutes late!

Oh well, these are the new features:

New content:

New biome – Mistlands:

• New mechanics
  • 9 new creatures + Mistlands boss
  • More than 20 new crafting materials
  • 2 new crafting stations, 3 crafting station extensions, and 3 other resource/crafting constructions
  • 15 new food items
  • 3 new potions
  • More than 25 new craftable items (weapons, armours & tools)
  • More than 35 new building/furniture pieces for building, decorating and defending your base
  • New type of dungeon
  • New lore stones
  • New dreams
  • New music

Nice, looks like a fair bit might be in there.

I will play this when it’s on Xbox gamepass. I rented a server way back when for me and my kid and had some fun but then moved on before even killing the stag boss. It was enjoyable enough though that sitting on my couch with the big TV will be great next year.

My daughter and I tried to play it on Gamepass but were never able to connect with each other. I already owned it on Steam, so I bought her a Steam copy and we were able to connect right away without a problem.