Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

Speaking of Valheim, check this out!!!

Amazing boat mod

Been playing with this the last couple of days, it’s a real game changer. Being able to have a floating, permanent base is really really fun.

This is my issue with games that are released slowly over time. I played this with two buddies and we played all the content that was out when we finished at the beginning of the year. We had a big base, moat, walls and had a blast. I just can’t see ourselves starting up to play one more bio. We definitely more than got our money’s worth but am I little sad we won’t see it to the end. Maybe once it’s 100% finished we’ll jump back in.

seems like the wrong thread :)

Ya, i’m in a similar boat. I played solo thee times (initial, a lets play, and then one where i accumulated all my stuff into a barely explored map for future development), and mp twice, the second of which was about 6 friends and we had a blast exploring the world. We’ll do it again…but i cant see us having more than one in us, so we probably will have to wait till release…which at the pace they’re going, wont be for four years or so, assuming they dont need an engine update before that time…

Ah yeah, Discourse strikes again.

Ditto. Awesome game, but building up a game world takes a lot of time, and continuing from an existing game world sucks. I don’t mind diving back into the world to try new things - new content and DLC is fine - but they really should complete the core game and then make the additions be things that enrich existing maps, so that you don’t have to start over from scratch with every major update.

How close/far away is the game now? It’s been on my wishlist forever, but I’m only going to play it once.

Their first update in feb 2021, was version 0.146.8. This latest patch will be 0.212.5. It’s the first sizable content release since it went into early access (nearly 2 years ago). Assuming the new biome is feature complete, that’ll be 5 biomes(ok fine, 6 - but the mountains are like half a biome) fully integrated in the game. There looks to be 2-3 more (desert/hot lands and tundra are likely full biomes, and a water/sea biome has been talked about, though i dont know if that will be a full-fledged one(with exploration and the like) or just a more fleshed out ocean (with more flora and fauna, but no exploration)). My guess is likely no better than anyone else’s, but I don’t see the full game releasing before 2025.

There are currently 6 biomes in the game (Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Mountains, Plains, and Mistlands); 7 if you count Ocean - though unlike the other two, Ocean has no “boss fight” (sea serpent is not a summonable boss like the others).

There are two biomes remaining: Deep North and the Ashlands.

When those two will be ready is anyone’s guess. It’s taken them more than a year to do the Mistlands biome, so unless they speed up significantly now, it’ll probably be another couple of years before the game is “done”.

Can you play as a wizard now or is that sill an NPC thing?

This thread made me decide to fire up Valheim again last night after not having played in over a year. I totally forgot how calming and zen the game can be in those times you’re fiddling with inventory, repairing and building stuff, gathering resources and crafting. That was the majority of what I did last night as I re-acclimated to the game after such a long absence. I portaled between my original large Meadows homestead and farm and my Swamp/Mountain adjacent forward operating base with my fully upgraded forge setup and slowly sank back into the groove of the game.

Then suddenly as day turned to night outside my farm ominous music began and I heard combat noises from the fields. I look up and…SKELETON SURPRISE. Oh shit! The game should have started playing Yakety Sax as I rushed around in near panic frantically being chased by dozens of skeletons. I was able to bottleneck them where I could (my covered bridge, the outer doors to my homestead) and thankfully I had my silver sword and silver shield still on me, so I was eventually able to whittle them down and wipe out the stragglers. The ground of my farm/homestead was littered with bone fragments and misc other skeleton loot. I’d forgotten how things in Valheim can go from peaceful to perilous in a heartbeat.

I need to defeat the Mountain boss and move on to Plains as I think I have accomplished all there is to do in the Mountain biome. I did see a whole lot of new crafting recipes pop up the first time I ate something and used my crafting stations though, so I will need to check out what has been added over the past year before moving on to a more difficult region. It looks like I can’t cook turnip stew anymore until I craft a cooking pot upgrade, so that will be task #1.

I played it a bit, up to just entering the Swamp after the Ent boss with my then D&D group. It was pretty cool but I shelved it for now.

After constructing the new upgrade to the Cauldron so I could cook Sausages and Turnip Stew again, I also discovered Black Soup, which is a Hearth and Home addition and pairs well with the Turnip Stew and Sausages to provide a decent amount of stamina and a good amount of health and healing in total. With this trio and a stack of Frost Meads I set out to summon and defeat Moder, boss of the Mountain biome.

Lugging the three very heavy eggs up the mountain side one at a time was fun, but none of the biomes enemies really poses a challenge at this point decked out in Wolf/Drake armor and silver sword/shield. However, on the third and final egg run, there was a sudden shift in the atmosphere and the message “YOU ARE BEING HUNTED” appeared. Uh…Oh I see, it’s just a few wolves…wait there’s more, now I’m running low on stamina…is that?..Where did all these wolves come from!!! And…DEAD. Damn.

Recovery from that proved easy enough though since I had a set of iron armor/weapons in the chest back at my forward operating base where I respawned. Once I had everything collected and put my backup equipment away, it was time to portal on up to my mountain resting hovel (a converted stone tower with a fire pit, workbench, chest and a portal just outside) and activate the altar to summon Moder! I placed the three eggs carefully, stepped back and…whoa…she’s quite large. I snapped off a few shots with my Draugr Fang bow and fire arrows (cause frost dragons hate fire arrows) while dodging Moder’s ranged ice attacks. It was slow going though, as I wasn’t doing a whole lot of damage and running around the rocky terrain was sapping my stamina too quickly. I tried to lure Moder down to a more flat area where I could attack when she landed, and that worked a little, but then I got wolf and golem adds, and needed to focus on them while still trying to dodge Moder. When that wasn’t going to work I tried to retreat back towards my resting camp…but ended up stuck on some terrain just long enough for one of those ice attacks to land directly on my head and…DEAD.

Since I was almost to my resting camp when I died I decided to try a naked corpse run. I ate one each of the foods, quaffed a frost mead, and stepped through the portal. I was able to run the short distance to my gravestone unmolested, but as I knelt to grab everything a wolf appeared and killed me before I could equip anything. DEAD AGAIN. This time I took the spare equipment and killed the wolf, but attracted the attention of Moder who had followed me down from the altar on my original attempt at escape. I ran to the resting camp, ducked inside and began swapping equipment. I realized I was going to need to go back to my forward operating base to store the replacement equipment and restock, but when I stepped outside Moder had destroyed my portal! Clever girl. Rather than try to stick it out and fight her on the mountainside, I simply jumped off and slid most of the way down, then ran back to my FOB, leaving Moder hovering over my mountain camp.

A different strategy was going to be needed if I was going to defeat her. I needed a way to get her to land often, and to avoid her air attacks when she wasn’t landed, and I needed to do all this without running all over the mountaintop, attracting adds. I loaded up on materials to build a new portal, a bonfire, a workbench, a chest and additional wood. I then trekked halfway around the base of the mountain (which was mostly meadows and swamp mixed) and climbed back up to the altar from the opposite direction. Moder was nowhere to be found, having decided to wait for me to return via the old path by my campsite. So I set up the new portal in a ruined tower nearby to protect it, then built the bonfire on the flat portion of Moder’s altar. I then began excavating all around the altar in a circle. You can’t really dig out underneath the altar because it’s not destructible and extends downwards quite a bit, but you CAN dig out just enough under the outer edge to provide a nice indestructible overhang to hide under that Moder’s air attack cannot penetrate. I outfitted my little ring trench with the workbench and chest, and put additional healing and stamina meads along with some food into the chest. I also built a roof over it that extended about two thirds of the way around. With a roof in place and the bonfire on top of the altar this now became a resting spot in addition to shelter from air attacks. I set off to find Moder and lure her back to her altar. Once I had her there, it was simply a matter of being patient, hiding in the trench whenever she took to the air (and using that time to rest, gobble food or a healing/stamina potion) and then when she landed, usually on or near the altar, popping up out of the trench and rushing to her back legs or underbelly and slashing away with the silver sword, being sure to block her physical attacks with the shield. Her breath attacks were unable to hit me as long as I remained behind or under her. When she would lift off into the air I would bolt back down into my trench and hide again. Eventually her air attacks destroyed the bonfire and all of the roof over the trench, but by that time she was at about 1/3 health and I knew I had her. Then it was just a matter of one more stamina and health mead to top off since my rested bonus had faded, and she fell under my blade right there on her own altar. SKOL!

I gathered up all the tears, the trophy and all the component pieces of everything she had smashed in our fight, limped back over to the ruined tower, and portaled back to my FOB without ever seeing another wolf, drake, or golem. Good riddance Mountain biome!

Mistlands update dropped today. Also on sale for $14 which is 30% off.

Between this and Dwarf Fortress Steam edition release it’s a good day for gaming.

A very good day. My friends and I jump in last night and figured out that in our current world… we forgot to kill the previous boss… or find him… so we are in the process of unlocking Mistlands still =) I am led to believe by Reddit that it is hard. I look forward to it! It is so easy to come back to Valheim. What a comfortable slide back into the realms everytime I return…

Spent last night exploring. My FOB I’d used for both the Swamp and Mountain biome was perfectly located on a spit of Meadow along the coast, so I was able to build out a pretty large resting/cooking/crafting compound protected by the sea one one side and a natural stream which I dug out into a moat on the other three sides. A long covered bridge with doors at either end provides access and security. Any event that sends swarms of enemies at me is slowed considerably by the lack of land access, and the enemies will flounder in the water, making for easy ranged targets and separating them into singles or doubles by the time they reach the point they can climb up to me, where they are easily dispatched. The drake event was the exception, but that one is easy enough to simply dodge and shoot with your bow until they are all defeated. Having both a large Swamp and decent size Mountain biome within sight of this base made it an idea setup that I was interested in repeating if possible near a Plains biome.

So with that in mind I set sail from my FOB in my Karve to see what the unexplored map to the north would hold. At first it was Swamp, which I knew as I’d already explored most of it on foot looting crypts and setting up Surtling traps. Beyond that was more Black Forest, a pretty decent size swath of it. Then, the forest opened up and from my ship I could see vast fields with large stones jutting up out of them, and a few trees scattered here and there as well. The music changed, and I saw what I had come for, Plains. I turned the boat around and sailed back a little bit to the Black Forest, then pulled the Karve up on shore near a stone tower. I evicted the resident grey dwarves and skeletons, then built a fire, workbench and thatch roof to create a resting camp in the tower. Fully rested, I set off to scout the Plains.

Almost as soon as I set foot in the new biome, a Deathsquito came to investigate. I was able to block it’s attack with my silver shield and one hit from my silver sword destroyed it (both are max upgraded). I ventured further into the plains, then scouted parallel to the Black Forest from the coast. Two Fulings, one with a sword and the other a spear, attacked me, but I already knew how to fight them from the Fuling Horde event that occurred at my FOB shortly after I’d defeated Moder, so they were easily dispatched. I stopped short of trying my luck on the Fuling tower I could see in the distance though. At this point I’d seen enough and wanted to return to my ship and sail to the other side of the plains in hopes there might be meadow on the other side, making for an inviting place to set up a new FOB.

On return to the stone tower I discovered a troll had smashed my Karve to bits. I killed him out of anger at the inconvenience, but I always travel with enough spare wood to setup workbenches in the event something like that happens, so I was able to wade out into the surf, pick up the materials of my boat, and rebuild it. Back to sea I went, sailing out far enough to not tempt Deathsquitos as the plains slid by on the landward side. On the other side of the plains I found swamp, and lots of it. This is disappointing, as the swamp is a terrible place to try to build a base camp. The swamp extended to the end of the continent, so sailed around the northern horn and back down the other side to see if I could get lucky and find a meadow on that coast that was close enough to the plains to make for a good base of operations. I did find meadow, but only after sailing past more swamp, then forest, then meadow. It appears the plains on this continent do not extend across the whole continent, and do not border meadows at all, only swamp, mountain and black forest. I pulled up on shore, destroyed my boat, picked up the materials, and ran cross-continent back to my Swamp-Mountain FOB where I rebuilt the Karve at my dock and then unloaded my loot and turned in for the night.

It appears if I want to explore this small plains biome on my continent I am going to have to carve a small base of operations out of the shoreline directly on the plains. Not an ideal situation. The alternative would be sailing out to another continent and looking for a plains biome with a more exploitable adjacent biome.

Question I can’t seem to find a good answer for on the wiki pages:

With weapons that have an additional damage type, such as “Spirit” or “Frost”, are the numbers listed for that damage type additional damage tacked on to the base damage? Or is it a case where a weapon may do 90 slashing damage, with 40 of that 90 counted as Frost including all of the benefits/drawbacks associated with that versus creatures with weakness/protection to that damage type?

Basically I’m looking at my upgraded Silver Sword which does up to 87 Slash damage with up to 40 Spirit damage and comparing it to the Blackmetal Sword I could make next which does up to 95 Slash at the base level but nothing else and wondering why I would upgrade if the spirit damage is an additional tacked on modifier? In other words, why use resources to craft a 95 damage sword when my current one already does 87+40 (127) possible damage?

So as I understand it (and I may be wrong here) the damage is counted separately, not stacked. So any defenses the bad guys have would be subtracted from both numbers. usually this works out in your favor because most things don’t have much resistance to elemental damage. But to mobs that do, it does end up being worse. So like using a Frostner on golems for instance just doesn’t work.

The upshot to this is I think the damage amounts and defense are percentage multipliers, and not direct number subtractions, which is why daggers can be as powerful as say an atgier.

My experience has been that the spirit/fire/poison/frost weapons seem to work really great on things that have weaknesses, and only average on things that don’t.

This makes sense, thank you!

If elemental/special damage is calculated as a separate attack, then only creatures with a weakness to that damage type are likely to be effected by it because otherwise the amount of damage vs. target armor level is going to result in negligible effect for that special attack type.

So I should forge ahead with the Black Metal sword as it will do more Slash damage than even the upgraded Silver sword, and maybe just roll out the Silver Sword when delving into Swamp Crypts for iron as lots of the stuff in the swamp is susceptible to Spirit damage. I’m going to need more Iron anyway as I did not realize that Padded Armor requires iron, I just assumed I’d need black metal for it.

It seems this has become much worse after the Mistlands update. Mistlands enemies will start attacking your base once you’ve beaten the plains boss, and they’re supposedly extremely nasty (and base-destructive), enough that players have been requesting for them to get nerfed.