Valve announces Artifact, finally jumps into virtual collectible card gaming

What I meant was the game is really worth playing for those who are fans of card games. There were some good ideas in there. I don’t expect it will keep you occupied for tens of hours, but free is free.

Oh, interesting. I will indeed try it out for free, most certainly.

It got Anthem’d but they put more of an honest effort in half the time BioWare wasted doing nothing.

Surprised they’re not trying to make those cards some kind of virtual currency and cashing in on that.

Since it’s now free to play I’d urge people to give it (classic version) a try. Personally I think the core mechanics are just fine, particularly the three lanes which makes things really interesting. In addition, the presentation is absolutely outstanding and definitely adds to the experience.

Even as someone who bought in on day one, I’m not especially sad at this news because I didn’t like what they were doing with 2.0 anyway. I did my grieving when the original game died its quick death. Some part of me hopes beyond reason that by going free it will suddenly become hugely popular and force Valve to start working on it again, heh.

Your icon looks familiar. Welcome to the forum.

#mouout

Yeh sorry, this has been pointed out to me in another thread. I’ll look for something else.

No worries buddy, we’re glad you are here and also love paradroid.

Thank you! Yeah, Paradroid was the first 8-bit game I actually completed when I was young enough that my attention span would normally nowhere near allow. I was absolutely captivated from start to finish and I still think about it often. Incredible game.

I also hope people at least try Artifact. I liked the original design too. I just wanted more options for PvE play.

Hard to jump into something that already declared dead, unfortunately. Legends of Runeterra is currently filling the ‘MTG-like card game’ itch for me though it isn’t quite as unique as Artifact.

Fair point! Indeed, Mythgard is filling that space for me, and I don’t feel like revisiting Artifact. Haven’t heard of this Runeterra thing, though…

I’m not good enough at CCGs to compare all the flavors out there, but Runeterra has nice graphics, is based on ‘known’ lore/property (LoL), and allows players to build a full collection via playing instead of buying. The only other one I know of that comes close to being this f2p friendly is Shadowverse which probably won’t appeal to as many.