Valve's definition of Coming Soon

Lmao, I particularly like the paragraph on Working Designs.

Take-Two hasn’t funded DNF. The money Take-Two spent on DNF was to its prior publisher, for publishing rights. They paid half of it then, in ye dayes of olde, and are due to pay the other half when the game ships.

They still have good reason to be annoyed, though.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.

This is the article I was referring to.

Best part:

I don’t think so. After so long, everyone assumes the game is going to suck. Well almost everyone. If the game is even remotely good, I think they will get props just on finally finishing it.[/quote]

I think everyone playing the game, reviewers included, are going to be thinking “This is nine years’ work?” * And behind that question is going to be the fact that Half-Life 2 was six years’ work. It has to be 50% better and more polished than Half-Life 2 to impress. Unless they actually have sorcerors on the staff, I can’t see that happening. We may be pleasantly surprised to see it released at all, but no-one with a sense of perspective is going to be impressed.

• omg release date revealed tell blue’s

Edit: This is my favourite bit:

I can’t help but picture a split-screen montage of that happening as Realms staffers tap at keyboards.

The time it takes to make a game is irrelevant. You review the game in front of you based on how it measures up within its genre and against other games. There should be no agenda behind it just like there wasn’t for most every Half-Life 2 review.

That “no one with a sense of perspective is going to be impressed” is bull. Everyone has a right to be impressed if it’s a great game. Who cares how long it took to make it? There have been plenty of other games to play since then and 3D Realms certainly didn’t have a contract with me to make a game so it’s not like they owe me (or you) jack squat.

–Dave