Valve's definition of Coming Soon

Yes, but maybe they’ve learned a lot from all those aborted iterations. :P

If DNF is anything less than the best game ever it’s going to take a big hit critically.

Somehow I doubt that. I talked to a lot of people my age and most of them while hearing of Battlefield, Halo, Counterstrike, have never heard of Duke Nukem or DNF.

Somehow I doubt that. I talked to a lot of people my age and most of them while hearing of Battlefield, Halo, Counterstrike, have never heard of Duke Nukem or DNF.[/quote]

Are they going to be reviewing DNF? ;)

Somehow I doubt that. I talked to a lot of people my age and most of them while hearing of Battlefield, Halo, Counterstrike, have never heard of Duke Nukem or DNF.[/quote]

Are they going to be reviewing DNF? ;)[/quote]

Think hard about games that got almost perfect scores and sold barely anything, then think hard about games that got crap scores and sold a bundle. Think hard.

DNF is a special case. I stand by my earlier comment.

DNF is a special case. I stand by my earlier comment.[/quote]

You missed my point … game press can’t really predict how well a game will sell, although hyping it does help [spread the awareness of the game].

Igor please find any mention of sales in my post:

I don’t think so. After so long, everyone assumes the game is going to suck. Well almost everyone. If the game is even remotely good, I think they will get props just on finally finishing it.

I don’t think so. After so long, everyone assumes the game is going to suck. Well almost everyone. If the game is even remotely good, I think they will get props just on finally finishing it.[/quote]
I just think it’s great that so many people still take it as a given it’s going to even get released, much less that there will be a chance that it’s “remotely good” with Broussard at the helm. Does anyone really think after all this time that he has his shit together enough to make a good game? That lessons have been learned, and from a couple years ago forward to today a real live game has been forming?

I think most wouldn’t want to review the game with a ten-foot Bruce Geryk, because it’s not even a game anymore, it’s an artifact.

Wow, that’s ummm… far. :P

I personally just don’t understand where they are getting this level of funding from?!? We would have been out of business 3 years ago, easily.

Granted, DN3D sold an awful lot of copies (anyone have sales figures?) but was it enough copies to sustain a development this long (7 years?) and the um-teen engine changes that they have endured?

They must have a meth lab right next to the game development lab, just for a supplemental income… “Hey, they gotta eat, you know?.” :shock:

I personally just don’t understand where they are getting this level of funding from?!? We would have been out of business 3 years ago, easily.

Granted, DN3D sold an awful lot of copies (anyone have sales figures?) but was it enough copies to sustain a development this long (7 years?) and the um-teen engine changes that they have endured?

They must have a meth lab right next to the game development lab, just for a supplemental income… “Hey, they gotta eat, you know?.” :shock:[/quote]

This is all once again built on the assumption that they’re actually working on the game.

They must have a meth lab right next to the game development lab, just for a supplemental income… “Hey, they gotta eat, you know?.” :shock:[/quote]

There have been a number of moderately sucessful Duke Nukem Console games, and they got quite a bit of money from the Max Paynne series. Plus up until 2 years ago, they had a very very small team working on DNF. So their burn rate was low.

In addition to the money they made from Max Payne’s successes, as Rob stated; they also made oodles of bucks from selling that property to Take 2 a couple years ago.

I think they also got cash advances from T2 pertaining strictly to Duke Nukem’s development.

This was a few years ago and not necessarily front page news, so my memory is a bit hazy. I do remember Scott Miller making some postings on PlanetCrap about the money they’d made.

Course, Miller could also be pushing drugs through his taco stand to fund the company.

Take-Two definitely gave some funding. CNN Game Over had an article on how T2 was getting annoyed at 3DRealms and the ever polite folks there responded hastily.

Apparently the contract to deliver DNF doesn’t actually require 3DRealms to deliver the game. It must just be that if they do finish it, Take 2 gets to publish it.

You can probably blame Max Payne for the delay in DNF. If 3DRealms hadn’t made $20M+ from that game, they probably would be in a bit of a pinch to deliver DNF.

I would TO-tally want to review DNF. It’s a guaranteed good time whether it’s the Second Coming or the Great Fall.

Take-Two hasn’t funded DNF. The money Take-Two spent on DNF was to its prior publisher, for publishing rights. They paid half of it then, in ye dayes of olde, and are due to pay the other half when the game ships.

They still have good reason to be annoyed, though.

The problem is that it may very well fall somewhere between those two extremes. If DNF ever comes out, most people that read a review are going to be looking for blood. If you don’t give them BUCKETS of it, they’re going to say nasty things about your mother.

In fact, you only have to look as far back as Daikatana to see this kind of thing.

The funny thing is Take-Two already has written DNF off as a loss and as far as accounting is concerned, its a dead project. You know when your publisher is betting against you…