Vampire Survivors - How did no one think of this before?

I got the DLC and have had a couple of runs outta it, though I feel I was kinda ‘done’ with the whole thing anyway and mainly picked it up to throw more money at the devs. I suppose I never really put down my feelings about Vampire Survivors but if I was gonna it’d be something like this:

Watching it grow organically over the months from first appearing on Steam to the global phenomenon it became was just a joy. The pace of updates was pitch perfect; do a few runs, grab as many achievements on the way until you were done, and put it aside for a few weeks. Then there was suddenly an update drop with new stuff to try, characters to unlock and challenges to overcome.

The thing is, it never felt like it was really missing anything. It’s not like the graphics or AI improved, nor that were there unfilled holes in the plot, weapons or abilities. Everything was fine, right at the start, and more only ever really felt like more.

Despite its moreishness this may not have been my most favourite game of 2022 (glorified screensaver that it is), but it was certainly a constant for me throughout the entire year. Just a really great way to unwind.

Of course, not every game is as well suited to ‘early access’ as this, and perhaps it never truly needed that label at all, but I’m glad I got to experience it in the manner I did. What more can be said? It birthed a genre that is already overrun with a million clones (some better, some worse, depending on taste) and consequently leaves behind a legacy few games will ever manage.

So, I fired this up today for the first time in ages…

Was there an update at some point that invalidated old save files? I have no saved unlocks.

Do the new features like the map have to be unlocked?

How does one access the screen that shows the weapon evolutions?

From the in-game pause menu. You need to have unlocked the grimoire. I believe it’s obtained in the library level.

Thanks. Is that one of those, “gotta walk way the hell over yonder” to find it things?

Yes but I don’t think it is very far. There’s several relics you’ll want to pick up in various levels to unlock features.

The best arcana is the one that brings all the collectables to you. Walking is for chumps.

I bought this due to the QT3 2022 Game Awards.

I have gotten to the library and failed at 29:45 & 29:46 (arrrrrggggghhhh).

A few questions:
Do the maps wrap around (or do you do on forever into infinity)?
Evolving - you need to max out the weapon which I believe is level 8 but what about the second part needed? Does that also have to get to level 8?

The game is addicting!

I do not believe there is wrap around, at least I never ran into it in the 40 hours I’ve played so far. Dwarf Fortress for most of the month, and Hearthstone Mercenaries + Battlegrounds at the beginning of the month had pushed aside VS for a bit. I still have some achievements to finish up.

No wrap, the support item doesn’t need any particular level for the weapon to evolve.

Generally, no. Most of the second parts max out before level 8, but you usually just have to have it. There are a very few later-game evolutions that require the second part be maxed.

After playing so many other flavors of survivor-likes, I’d forgotten how bloody hard this game is. After 8 or 10 runs, I managed to survive to the 20-minute mark once. The only weapon I’ve managed to evolve is the whip (twice). I do have the duplicator unlocked now, which is helpful.

I am playing with Porta so much better than Antonio as she starts with Lightening. Was worth purchasing her.

Two other questions:
Sometimes a treasure chest will show three items. I do not see a way to choose one over the other. Not sure why it shows three items if you cannot choose one (unless you get all three items).

Does anyone know how to pause the game on an Xbox controller? I know I can hit esc but sometimes I am leaning away from the keyboard when real life interupts.

If a treasure has three items, or occasionally even five, then you get all those items. No choice involved.

Button with the 3 lines

That is on the razer xbox controller, so positioned further up, but I think it is the same symbol. I guess I need to dust it off when I don’t use it for a few weeks. Geesh

Thanks, @vyshka !

I think I hit every button but that one!

@divedivedive
Wow you can get 5 items? I do not think I have run into that yet.

I think 5 is the max. At least that’s the most I’ve seen.

I don’t think it’s a thing until a bit into the game, there’s quite the fanfare when it happens.

Also, luck makes a treasure chest with more items more likely.

Edit: I can’t spell

You REALLY want to all three levels of luck.

I finished that run at level 98 with four evolved weapons (whip, axe, magic wand, and pentagram(. Hadn’t made it to 40 before that

Four levels of luck turns the screen right side up!