Veep, aka, You're Not Even Your Mom's Favorite Jonah

We watched a little bit of the early seasons before this one aired, and the tone is SO different. I got the feeling from the first two seasons that Selina was inherently… well, not entirely good, but something like Neutral Good. Not actually giving a shit about the law, but generally trying to help/do better.

Now, it’s like every single person on the show is pure Lawful Evil. It makes for hilarity, but I’m not really rooting for anyone. Even Amy succumbed to it at the end of this last episode. It’s just so nihilistic. I guess that’s a rarity, but dang it feels bleak watching these people sometimes.

Except Richard. Every earnest line he says is gold, and even the lines about him spoken by other characters are hilarious.

“I regret ever teaching that man how to masturbate.”

He was great in the few seasons of Detroiters that I’ve seen. Comedy Central, I think.

Holy crap, this show has gone full Trump. You never go full Trump.

Yep, except they’re splitting Trump’s awful between two candidates. Ryan gets the stupidity and cruelty, while Selena handles the corruption and actual crimes.

Trump contains too much terrible crap for just one character, even a satire.

Last episode is next Sunday I believe. The best days of this show are pretty far behind, IMO, but holy shit does it feel like they’ve doubled down on the blackness of their black humor. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen earlier episodes, but I don’t think the show has been quite this nihilistic before.

Series finale was good IMO. I particularly loved the meteoric rise of Richard Splett, perhaps the only truly innocent character in the show.

I just caught up to the episode last night Richard quit both campaigns and ended up being a hero after that plane went down. While it’s funny that he’s a mayor, I’m going to miss him being on the daily meetings with both campaigns.

I saw an interviewer ask JLD last about her favorite episode. She said, “It’s the one you haven’t seen yet.” I now agree! That finale was great, a perfect capstone to a fantastic show about awful, awful people.

Veep certainly didn’t go out on the top of its game, but I was entertained to the end, and that finale at least felt good in the context of the rest of this season.

“We ruled out beets because he didn’t know what those were, then ruled them back in for the exact same reason.”

I didn’t like the “24 years later” section of the finale at the end. It was unnecessary.

I enjoyed the rest of it though. I’m going to miss having a show like this around. There’s nothing else like it on television that I know of. Death of Stalin I didn’t enjoy as much because it was just too short. I wish that had been a series like this one.

I stopped watching the show after Selina lost her POTUS position. But I’m glad people still watch the show and it deserved all the awards it was nominated for.

Well, there was The Thick Of It.

I didn’t know that was still on!

Just caught up with season 7, only a year late! So wow, its like they turned up the evil and stupid things these characters do to get elected up to 11.

It was fantastic to watch, and better than last season. The entire Jonah story line was just super omg cringe worthy yet I couldn’t stop watching.

Overall this show had one of the best casts of any comedy in the last few years. I am glad I got around to finishing the final season. So many characters you love to hate.

Yep! I’m rewatching the final season and it’s just hilarious.

One of Furlong’s insults had me dying the other night, “Have a good weepy slide down the shower wall this evening, Amy.”

Or when Kent says he doesn’t speak Mandarin and Selina asks, “When do the new Kents come out?”

The Chicken Pox map cracked me up.

OMG

Remind me who they played in the series? One of them was the press secretary, right? And the other one?

I think those are Mike and Jonah.