Victoria 3

Thanks! I guess we’ll have to see the details. Just the way it’s written I’m still skeptical they will be modeling gold reserves and such. But maybe there is some middle ground.

It reads as if it will just be a malus to international trade. I wonder if it will be dynamic over the 100 years, or just follow some historic average.

I loathe praradox with every fiber in my body…we all know the reasons if you have been playing video games for the last 20 years

anyway, this is the ONE game I hope does well…the time period is THE most interesting era for a strategy game…there’s alot going on here…good stuff…and purists will tell you that vicky 2 is the best paradox game to date…there’s reasons there but yeah, its a bit dated today and yeah, the pop system needs a giant modern OVER HAUL but the concept is fair

spring 2022 release imho

Agreed, and it’s woefully under represented as a timeframe.

This is a very objectionable statement to be making in a Paradox game thread, but I love Toucans so much so enough about that. Did you take that photo yourself? Being in the Pantanal for a few weeks, it surprised me how easy it was to find and enjoy various Macaws relative to the shy toucans who were seldom seen at a fair distance.

Toucans are fairly common in the general area I live in. My father-in-law has some land in a small city nearby and when I visited there I would often see toucans flying or even frolicking on some nearby tree.

You know what the game really needs to capture a certain forum goer? Crocodiles ;)

The more I read about it, the more I think they have this covered, at least on the economic side. Transportation infrastructure like ports and railways needs to be manned (and therefore maintained and paid). States need to be connected to the local market - initially rivers and sea transport are very important for high-capacity links, with railways developing over time.

You need transportation capacity in proportion to the volume of goods you are moving from each state to the local market. If you don’t have enough capacity, then goods that can’t be transported can only be consumed where they are produced. There is also some price impact on the market, so cost of transport is a thing (and hopefully how transportation workers and owners are paid).

It’s a bit unclear how exactly this transportation to market (and between markets) works (e.g. are transport prices set by supply and demand for transport?), but they seem to have all the basic pieces in place there.

It also seems like growing urbanization is a mechanic in, itself, tied to service industries (and other things?)

Edit: Nice interview

So how, exactly, is David Letterman involved?

A new developer diary is out and it is about them all-important Pops.

Systems designer and 2D artist is my guess.

Ooo, is Thursdays dev diary day for Vicky 3, then? If so I know what I’m reading while drinking my Thursday morning coffee for the next year or so.

Thanks. I guess one of the problems with hunting down every hint of information on the forums and reddit is that the early dev diaries don’t contain a lot of surprises. I do want to know what Capacities are though!

Managing mana flows instead of discrete mana investments. Which, to be fair, is probably better.

booooo

Right, I remember they talked about this in the 6000 word reddit post above: reddit post

The number of countries that can be in your market at a time is based on the market leader’s diplomatic Influence, which is one of the main capacity types. Capacities are different from power/mana in that it’s not a pool of points you build up and spend. It’s more like having enough electricity to run a lot of devices. Influence is also used for things like alliances, etc. You get Influence primarily from having rivalries, your Power Ranking (Great Powers get a ton), and a few other things that add percentage modifiers.

So influence is something you can use to achieve some diplomatic state, but it’s sort of an ongoing thing, so you can’t spread your influence too thin.

You can Suppress or Promote IGs directly using your Authority, which is an administrative capacity stat. More absolutist forms of government have more Authority, and so will have more control over the IGs in their nation, whereas democracies will be less able to combat or uplift the ones they prefer.

Institutions are like the organs of your government. Some Institutions are unlocked by specific laws. They have five levels each, with increasing bonuses but also increasing Bureaucracy cost. Bureaucracy is the third capacity, along with Authority and Influence, that is generated by building government buildings in your states and having Bureaucrat and Clerk pops working in them (which also requires literacy). Going over your Bureaucratic capacity will give you a tax penalty due to governmental inefficiency, but there’s also a hard cap on the number of Institution levels you can have, which can be raised over time.

So it looks like:

• Influence is the quantity of external diplomatic force you can maintain at any given moment.

• Authority is the quantity of internal political force you can maintain at any given moment.

• Bureaucracy is the quantity of filing cabinets you can maintain at any given moment.

New DD on the three capacities:

It’s interesting to consider how some things scale and don’t scale. Like using authority to issue decrees doesn’t scale - you need some for a decree in each state, but you don’t get more authority for having more states. Also things like the base amount of each capacity making it easier to govern smaller nations.

No mana! Just three abstract pools of numbers that govern how much of anything you can do.

They were definitely ready for that. :D

The arbitrary part is the key, IMO. That was the problem with Imperator at launch, not the fact that there was mana. Every little action you could think of taking in that game required mana, and the only way to get mana was via your ruler stats which you had no control over. When they “removed mana” and replaced it with Political Influence it was just another form of mana, it was just designed better and provided a lot more opportunities for the player to play around with the systems and affect it.

I made a little quip earlier, because it clearly is the same principle, and a basic staple of abstracting mechanics. It just depends on how it’s applied; it’s no different in concept from influence from, well, anything, reseach points or money (which usually has little to do with actual money).
It’s a bit of a lazy distraction to say it’s bad for just existing, as in KevinC’s example, or by just looking at what is now EU4’s option salad and forgetting it worked well enough originally.

The arguing about what is and isn’t mana has all the character of a religious war.