Video game lore questions

This thread is just about any odd ball questions about “why is something the way it is” in relation to video games.

Ill start off with a question:
Why isn’t the Legend of Zelda really called the Legend of Link?

Because The Legend of the City of Gold is not called random explorer #3. :P

In that vein, why are the Metroid games names after the energy sucking blobs and not Samus? And why are the Halo games names after the halos? When is the last time a Halo game actually had a Halo in it?

Yeah, Link Fitzgerald was pretty annoyed about that too.

I was really surprised when I found out Metroid was a woman.

I can see the Metroid name. They are the main adversary, the whole reason for Samus to be there. She is fighting them the whole time and they are involved with the whole story.

Zelda, on the other hand, is totally missing until the very end.

Where did Gordon Freeman get his firearms training?

And how come Moby-Dick isn’t called Ishmael & Ahab & Queequeg & Starbuck

Why is every Final Fantasy not the last one?

Not even the last one in that particular universe!

Not sure if it’s a serious question, but the company was going bankrupt and it was their last gasp.

He used to be a high school teacher during the post Trump period.

Someone has to start the answers I guess, instead of just asking questions.

The last Halo game to have a Halo in it was Halo 4. The last game to have gameplay on the Halo was Halo 3’s Ark facility, if it counts as a Halo. If it doesn’t count, then the last game to have gameplay on the Halo was Halo 2. If you’re counting the Halo Wars games, Halo Wars 2 had the Ark and a new Halo.

Installation 04 - aka Alpha Halo, which you blew at the end of Halo CE by self-destructing Pillar of Autumn.
Installation 05 - aka Delta Halo, which you de-activated and prevented the firing in Halo 2.
Installation 00 - aka The Ark, which you visit in Halo 3. The Ark is building Installation 04B, a replacement for Halo destroyed in Halo: CE, but you fire the Halo, destroying it, and damaging Ark.
Installation 03 - aka Gamma Halo, which is being studied by UNSC installation that you visit in Halo 4.
As a bonus:
Installation ? - Apparently in Halo Wars 2, you go to the Ark, and build a new Halo. The Halo is successfully built and Professor Anders (on the Halo) escapes through slipspace, which is a thing, apparently. But The Halo drops out of Slipspace prematurely when it encounters a new forerunner artifact, The Guardian.

In Quantum Break, why does Littlefinger break off to start a separate company to solve the Fracture without Merry Brandybuck?

He knows from the beginning (and the creation of the countermeasure) that Merry is competent with time science, but he chooses to make the Lifeboat instead of solving the entire problem like Merry and his brother want to.

I didn’t understand this the entire game and it prevented him from being the sympathetic character that I think they wanted him to be.

Are we talking about voice actor names, or is Quantum Break some kind of Tolkien/Game of Thrones mashup?

From JJ Abrams…

A Game of Rings

Westeros and Middle Earth are thrown into the same space-time continuum and must fight an epic war among Lannisters, White Walkers, Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Starks, Greyjoys, Dothraki, Eagles, Hobbits, and Valar. Only Tom Bombadil can save the day… aided, of course, by the Three Eyed Raven.

Possibly from Barney Calhoun. Over the years that Gordon worked at Black Mesa, the two were friends, and used to race each other in the ventilation ducts when some Dr. got locked out. So it’s possible they did firearms training together too.

Pakistan! Chechnya! Afghanistan! Definitely one of those.

While Gordon Freeman may have had firearms and crowbar melee training he never learned to climb or descend ladders (his worst nemesis) at any previous point in his life.

In his defense, it’s a pretty neat trick (after the terrifying ordeal of getting onto the ladder in the first place) to be able to climb them while holding a weapon with both hands.