Videos - YouTube and Beyond

I posted it because of the cat, not the song! Although I do kind of like the song. The video is horrible without the cat.

All things are horrible without a cat.
I had to put down my beloved 19-year-old cat 4 years ago, and Iā€™m still not over it.
All Iā€™ve got to do is go get one from the pound or something. Actually, Iā€™m not at all sure how to go about it these days. Does someone have to inspect your house before you can adopt or something like that?

Anyway, all I know is that a couple weeks ago, my girlfriend and I were watching a movie here in my living room. There was a noise outside. I went to look, opened the front door, and the neighborā€™s cat just came strolling in for the first time like it owned the place, and sprawled out in the middle of the floor.

Instantly, my stress level (very high lately) went down. It was very noticeable. We had never met that cat before, and it just came in. Ten minutes later, she wanted to leave, so I let her out, and she went home. But itā€™s bugging me more and more that I need another cat. Sure, the lack of responsibility has been kinda nice the past few years without one, but I still really miss my old cat, and I could give a needy cat a home.

Sorry about that lengthy derail.
What I really meant to say was that I came nowhere near your 100 views of that video. However, it did take me three views before I realized it was on a loop, and not different verses. Beautiful cat as well (though at this point, Iā€™d be happy with a feral mutt I think).

Go get one. There was a couple of dozen unwanted cats available last I looked.

I got mine 2.5 years ago from the pound. Cost me over $100, but these 2 were sisters and they didnā€™t want them separated so gave me a discount. No inspection or anything, but they wanted to know where I lived and if I owned or rented. Believe they call the landlord if you rent.

Although I had plans to get an older cat because I didnā€™t want the stress of bored young indoor cats, I ended up with 6 month olds. At times I have regretted it, like this week when they woke me up early 4 days in a row, but I couldnā€™t imagine life without them. One of them almost never leaves my side, but sheā€™s not at all affectionate. Sheā€™ll plop down next to me and purr without me touching her. If I pet her she gets so annoyed and wags her tail.

I still do kind of wish I got an older cat, but I love these two to death. They make me smile multiple times a day. Easily worth it.

Thanks for your story. You, along with my girlfriend here, are wearing me down. When I do finally get one (or hell, maybe two), Iā€™ll post over in the pet thread.

And I realize that even getting them from the pound will cost some money, along with a few instant veterinary bills. For me, itā€™s not so much about the money, but one of my big demands is that the cat must be from the pound, or the humane society, or something like that. Iā€™m not too fussy, except that I refuse to buy from a breeder. Purebreds are beautiful, and some have awesome character traits that definitely appeal to me.

I just have a problem knowing that there are tons of homeless cats out there either fighting for their lives in the wild, or are set to be put down at the pound. And while so many cats (and dogs too for that matter) out there are on the verge of death simply because they donā€™t have homes, there are thousands of people out there breeding highly-specialized cats for the more discriminating owner.

Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with that. My girlfriend for instance has bought purebreds for the past 20 years and I loved those cats as well. I just donā€™t see the necessity for breeders when weā€™ve got so many homeless cats already out there.

A video tour of the Microprose office from back in 1989:

@MrTibbs Thanks, man. I always enjoy the results of your historical research. A shame that 6 years after it was posted, that video has only 1,266 views and one lone comment. Its fun to see the working environments of these places back in the day, and seeing a few legends working in their native habitat. A few random observations: Everyone was dressed so formally. Lots of pretty women worked there. The place could have used a few more windows. Wild Bill didnā€™t seem so wild.

I fondly remember the photos and link you posted of 3D Realmsā€™ history, and IIRC there was also a Looking Glass Studios video as well (from when they were shutting down).

I hope I havenā€™t missed any others. You should really collect this stuff together somewhere. I find this stuff fascinating.

Stereotypical industrial park offices.Wild Billā€™s was very modest for a CEO.

Ohhh, I remember watching that. Bittersweet, but it was neat to put faces to Sara Verrilli and Mike Chrzanowski, among others, who were designers on a couple of my favorite Thief missions.

Really good movie about The Amazing Johnathan.

Who ?

Imagine being the actor who is hired to sing the word ā€œdiarrheaā€ as a solo.

And he does so, with feeling.

On the subject of someone singing ā€œdiarrheaā€ with feelingā€¦

That is one of several product commercials that are instant mute for me.

Iā€™m prone to ear worms (a side effect of misophonia, I suspect) so Iā€™m now at the point where I mute all commercials.

That Wayfair jingle fills me with such rage. But the Mazda music isnā€™t much better.

You really should get that checked out.

Zoom, zoom!