Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

I am not either. I really am not at all. However, Population One is pretty cool. It is the only BR that I have been able to enjoy. That it is VR is pretty cool in itself. Aiming, turning, checking corners, heck, just reloading are all something very different in VR. Plus the climbing and wingsuit mobility in VR is great. It is soooo cool to climb with your hands and then to stick out your arms to fly around in VR. However, I have stumbled in real life a few times as I “stood” on high ledges and looked over the edge. As to the BR mechanics, the fact that it is teams of 3 with easy revives for the squad make it feel different enough.

Basically, even if you hate BR, I think Pop1 is worth a look. It comes across more as highly mobile VR FPShooter than BR.

I’ve been VR-curious for a while, but haven’t wanted to risk being stuck with something I don’t end up liking. But Costco now sells the Quest 2, and I impulse bought one when I saw it on the shelf.

What are the essentials, and what else do I need to know? Do they do significant sales that are worth waiting for?

In the Oculus TV case, there is an option to download and then watch the videos (click on the three dots).
Also, this is the 4th episode of the series, watch the other three ;)

Quest 2 is the cheapest point of entry, and actually the best in the quality/features/price ratio, so it’s the obvious choice.

You need a Facebook account for it, so my recommendation is to create it BEFORE buying it, if you don’t have one. To be sure you won’t have issues, some people’s account get disabled upon creation.

As a standalone headset, there isn’t a lot you need to know. Hardware is supposedly sold at a loss so don’t expect sales. Software sales are somewhat timid, there aren’t thousands of games unlike Steam so the same competition between them to sell copies that drive the big sales and offers doesn’t exist. Usually there are 2-3 big sales a year, where games get 20-30% discount. People also get individual codes with a 30% discount from time to time.

If you have a gaming computer too, you can use it as a pc vr headset with a usb3 cable or through wifi. Remember to enable ‘unknown sources’ in the pc app to use Steam too.

who needs spiders in VR? Lazy developers… I almost broke up with Fromsoft because of spiders in Bloodborne.

for me insects and spiders enemy design are the low hanging fruit when designing scary enemies, more so than goblins. I never ever want to see insectoids or spider creatures. Replaying Resident Evil 4. They did pretty well, mostly. I really liked EDF at one point, but the more you play, it just gets disgusting.

sorry, I just got triggered by spiders in Crashland…

Welcome aboard @Thraeg!

The things you really need to know come into play once you start hooking up to PC, or shopping for games outside of the headset (on the Oculus website for example). There, be aware that Quest store sells the apps that run natively on Quest, and Rift store sells the apps that run natively on PC. Some games give you both versions, called ‘cross-buy’. Once hooking to PC, you can of course also buy VR games on Steam/Humble/etc.

One other thing worth doing is checking the ‘experimental features’ in Quest settings. A few cool things to play with there, like enabling 120hz mode, setting up a virtual couch, and turning on ‘stationary boundary pass-through’. Updates are pretty frequent and automatic, but you can check under ‘settings/about’.

Other than that, check the thread, buy some games, and let us know your Oculus name so you can hook up to all the friends in this thread - fresh meat for the score challenges! ;)

There’s one table in Pinball FX VR I can’t play, because they thought it would be a good idea to have huge 3D spiders skittering around in your peripheral vision while you’re concentrating on the table. No thank you!

You can attach your Q2 to PC with no cable now too.

Well I beat the tutorial level! I think that’s the one with no enemies in it… ;)

Level 1 took me about 5 attempts. Once I worked out how to beat those shock slugs I started managing it regularly, but I still haven’t come close to your score. And I still haven’t beaten level two. :P

I’m okay at shooting but the thing I struggle with most is quick and accurate use of the teleport. I think I’d find it easier if it didn’t disappear or disable at max range, or when going over the top of a rise. It should stick there and allow me to teleport.

It’s a good game, I like it. I watched the video you linked. I like how the enemies are all fairly distinct and interesting, and interact in emergent ways. It’s satisfying to blow them apart, and scary if you don’t do it quick enough. Things can get out of hand real quick.

I read there’s like 50 of them or something, with no reskins?! That’s really cool. And the mention of ‘builds’ using all those perks is nice, I need to level up to unlock 2 instead of 1 simultaneously.

Yeah I think I’m going to grab it as my next VR game

Coincidentally I watched the video for that last night when I slumped down in the couch after sneaking in a late Crashland session. I was looking for the ‘rogue’ but didn’t get it. I thought it was just an escape room type game (here we go, now that my prejudice against wave shooters are dispelled I have one against escape rooms…)

Native:
Beat Saber
Supernatural (try the 30-day free trial if you like to exercise; plus you’ll get a free sweat cover!)
Audica
Superhot VR
Gorn
Vader Immortal

PC:
Half-Life Alyx
IL-2 Sturmovik
DCS (you can try it free)
Elite Dangerous
Boneworks
Star Wars: Squadrons
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners

Great to see some real games using hand tracking in that UploadVR showcase. Also looking forward to the Sam & Max game, though so much is going to depend on the execution, both in the writing and the puzzle design.

Re: Essentials, nobody’s mentioned Lone Echo yet, which is scandalous. Needs a PC though. I’d also like to recommend some pinball, as VR is where virtual pinball was meant to be played. People are a little down on the new Star Wars Pinball game because even the PC version uses the relatively low res assets of the Quest version, but they’re pretty great tables. There’s also PinballFX 2.

I’ve mostly enjoyed what I’ve played of Stormlands, but I can’t say it’s really compelling me to keep playing over other titles. If you’re into shooters, though, definitely worth a look.

Grumble mutter, no-one mentioned No Man’s Sky or Minecraft, two of my essential PC VR games. :)

and yes!

I also note no-one recommended Asgard’s Wrath or Stormland, two of the other bigger budget/hyped VR-only Oculus games.

I know how that feels bruh.

Except both of those were mentioned! :D

Haha yeah, a standard early-morning error for me. ;) Not really glowing recommendations though!