Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

I don’t think there’s a discount on the hardware. My understanding is that if you logged in with your Facebook account and accepted the referral, then it’s in a pending state. Once you log in using that same account on a new headset, we both get the credit added to our accounts.

I do see on my end that someone has accepted my referral, and there’s a progress bar at 50%. I’m assuming that’s you (don’t want to post the real name, but the picture has a Red Sox shirt), and it will finish once you log in on the new headset.

If there are any more people wanting to spread around the love, here is my referral link.

I’ll probably look for some new games come the holiday sale. I go through spurts of playing VR stuff. Lately just doing Supernatural, but a new game can kick things back off. Also, I haven’t played Beat Saber for a while so it may be time to do that. Resident Evil seems like it is pretty cool in VR… Also there is some dungeon adventure game that seems very cool - forgot the name.

Thanks! Redeemed!

That’s me, Thraeg. Vulcans root for the Sox!

The referral will give you credit in the Store for games and stuff.

Hey, do we want to try to do some multiplayer next week, or the week after, since it should be a quiet week? I was looking at time zones and 6 pm PT is 1 pm for @krayzkrok and 9 pm for east coasters, so that seems a possibly viable time?

I did Walkabout Mini-Golf for a work event last week and it was a fun, simple game and really good for socializing.

Thanks for the advice. I wish my optician had given me a computer-distance Px, because that’s the distance that is worst with my glasses. I’ll talk to him about it tomorrow.

I’ve already played it. It needs a brake SO BADLY so you can come to a complete stop. They plan to add it but it’s not in there yet, so I wasn’t gonna recommend it until they added it.

You do have to absolutely step into it a bit slowly, sickness-wise. As a child I was notoriously carsick, after puberty that seemed to go away but I still get seasick when, well, I’m on the sea and a boat is slow-rolling. I can fight through that by running around the boat and doing pullups, whatever.

First 15 minutes in VR, I definitely felt that floaty-body thing that meant I was getting close to seasick. Next time, a bit longer. Took a break and had half a day where I was a bit floaty out of VR, which was unexpected. BUT, after the first 3-4 sessions, not being crazy multi-hour sessions, it calmed right down and no problems many hours since, including the worst of the vomit-comet titles that are notorious like AirCar. Just go easy at first and accept the acclimation period.

Q2 is fantastic and you don’t need the massive storage, most of the good games are optimized and you can have an easy half-dozen onboard at any time. Check out the escape room games, I strongly recommend I Expect You To Die as a super easy intro and also a good game, if perhaps a 101 escape room experience. I don’t do many of the rhythm games but most people love them. Everyone raves about Eleven Table Tennis and Walkabout Golf for non-rhythm.

Woohoo! It just requires very precise maneuvering and that brake will help a TON.

Yeah I can’t wait to try it.

SimplePlanes VR is out

Thanks for the clear instructions on the referral. I followed them this morning with your referral link. Factory reset was easy. I don’t see the credit yet in Payments. Maybe you need to accept the referral?

Cool! That’s two of us. Anyone else on Greenwich time?

Yeah, it’d be great to mini golf with five of us, or some Contractors survival rounds. Haven’t tried Warplanes multiplayer coop yet but bet that’d be good. Is there a better place than here to get the VR crew meet-up messages to coordinate some gaming these holidays? The qt3 vr discord area seems disused, but maybe there?

Me. 45

@Spock

Yes to both.

I also purchased a protector for the ring:
(I read that the ring tends to brake the most from dropping etc so it seemed to be a wise investment).

Lenses:

You will need your PD measurement from your eye doctor. This can be one number or two separate (one for each eye). I would suggest getting both depending on which manufacturer you choose they may ask for one or two numbers. Note: there are mobile apps that will measure PD but I found it hard to use and it only gives the one number measurement when some manufacturers would take the two. Best to just ask eye doctor they will know since they measure you when you get your glasses etc.

I would suggest watching YouTube on the manufacturers because there are differences on how the lenses fit. For example some use magnets to hold the lenses in making it easy to take lenses out if you are sharing the device with family members/friends. However, the magnets can be a tight fit depending on your nose size. YouTube was worth watching when deciding who to go with.

All right, cool. I’ll do a roll call in the VR Discord qt3 area… maybe write down your availability? No chance we’ll make everyone happy, but maybe if we know to check that space we’ll know when someone can play something.

What discord, lol.

I hate how app-centric is the Oculus store. In the web, I can wishlist stuff, but I can’t find anywhere to see my wish list?
Googling it up, I actually found the link:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/1705111316278799

But I wonder if really there was a proper way to navigate to it.

On the other hand, I like how you can see all the cloud saves entries, with dates and delete action in the web:

Powerbeats VR is 43% off on Oculus.

Tried the unplugged guitar game. The trappings around the game are really, almost offensively stupid. Dude dressed like a mock 80’s rock star comes out, calls me a nerd first thing, and proceeds to make jokes about masturbation. It’s not so bad I wouldn’t have my 11 year old play it, but it’s certainly quite cringeworthy and ignores that maybe women might want to play this game? Also that conception of rockstardom is utterly dated. No one under 40 is going to recognize it.

Anyway, gameplay is too fiddly to work. The guitar creeps up and to the left as I play so I end tracks feeling like I’m playing violin. And the strumming and fretting–well it works well about 95% of the time, which is nowhere near what it needs to be for a rhythm game. Briefly, there are 4 positions on the neck you can slide your left hand to and you are supposed to hold your fingers in a pattern as notes come at you on a track. Then you have to strum with your right hand while holding a virtual pick. This works best when you tilt your hands so the cameras can see your fingernails. But the real problem is there’s no feedback–no vibration or clicky thing to let you know you’ve strummed, which makes both timing and positioning feel too loose. Sad to say this doesn’t really work for me. Probably a refund.

Okay, things to check:

Are in the US region, US Facebook account which is linked to your Oculus account?

Did you log back into your Quest after the factory reset? You won’t see your credit until you do. You have to ‘reactivate’ the Quest, linking it back to your mobile app, and getting to the home screen in Quest again, and online.

This is a Quest 2, not a Quest 1? And you purchased it new? (If it was used somebody else may have use up the referral, it’s tied to each hardware.)

There’s nothing for me to accept on my end. In the past, people had to be Facebook friends to do the referral. This changed for US folks and the link alone works, at least it did at the time I posted that. But if you can’t figure out what went wrong we can give it another go using all the possible extra steps. So you can DM me your Facebook, I’ll add you as a friend, then I can send you the referral link directly through Facebook messenger. That used to be the way you had to do it in the past.

Failing that, just have to ping Oculus support I guess.