VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I got TTT on itch a couple of years ago. It’s kind of like The Climb, but all flinging all the time. You race as fast as you can, flinging yourself around the levels with your arms.

Kinda sounds terrifying.

Also I was told VR Hair was a thing but dang.

You’re lucky you kept the glasses on at least! I played 3-4 hours of Beat Saber & Thrill of the Fight a few days in a row last week and was a sweating mess of matted hair & fogged glasses that had become trapped inside the Vive.

Also: WOW my arms hurt so badly I couldn’t exercise for a few days afterwards. Perhaps playing until I couldn’t lift them right before getting the 2nd dose of COVID vaccine was unwise in retrospect 🙄

Diego

Yeah this is why I got prescription lenses. The glasses are just getting too annoying during Supernatural and Thrill of the Fight.

Hahahahahahahaha

I find this thread’s title offensive.

I think I got further than you but I still had to refund it out of fear. It was a while ago but I think the punishment for failure was falling? In VR. No thank you :(

Well you get to hear your climber take a big gulp of fear-breath, then a woah as you imagine their arms windmilling, then a scream that resounds off the cliff faces as they plummet. I love The Climb and get zero vertigo from it (even though I get dizzy in IRL high places), but I can understand why it would be a nope for some folks.

Yes, I’d never touch Cosmodread and its ilk, but the Climb sounded like great fun. The only vertigo I struggle from is imagining the big splat when you hit the ground. Doesn’t happen in The Climb so it’s all good. On the other hand when I checked out the videos of people playing it, it just didnt seem to appeal as much as I expected, so I’ve not bought it yet. I think I was hoping for less cartoony graphics.

One of the first games I played on Rift CV1, and a good one at that. I don’t have your vertigo thankfully, but I did eventually figure out one tip: your grip is dependent on how hard you’re gripping the lower finger button, and wears out if you have it all the way in. Stay calm and it’s a much more doable game.

Masmaker looks nice and it’s from the creators of ‘A Fishermen’s tale’ which also was good.

Upgrade complete. I got some 3d printed clips so that I could transfer my Vive DAS over to the Quest 2, and some grips for the controllers. Still waiting for my new silicon face gasket, but it’s pretty comfy as is:

And yeah, immediate difference compared to my “aging” Quest 1. I don’t have to reset it 3 times when I start it up to get it to recognize the Guardian. It doesn’t lose tracking every few minutes. The headset is lighter and more comfortable. And the response is snappier and more satisfying. I’ll be boosting my Beat Saber scores in no time :)

Congrats!

When I joined QT3 I went back to the beginning of this thread and had a chuckle at all the people saying “VR will never catch on”. :D

Some are still saying it… ;)

Though I think for some the goalposts differ, where ‘success’ meant mainstream adoption along the lines of the smartphone.

It’ll be when Apple makes a headset. People who don’t even play video games will buy one as a status symbol (in their own minds.)

I see a bunch of games are supporting this bluetooth haptic vest now, including stuff on the Quest like ‘In Death Unchained’ and ‘Thrill of the Fight’.
Anyone got one?

$299 for the one with 16 vibration points, $499 for the one with 40.

I wonder if that would help with my lung mucous clearance?

Email your doc about it. I bet they’d find it an interesting question. Haptics work great with flight sims too.

I briefly owned a haptic vest, my verdict was kind of interesting but not for the price they want for them. At $150, I might be tempted but for $300-$500, its hard not to feel like a waste of money. Hence why I only briefly owned one.