VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Try a go kart race in Project CARS in VR. Being so close to the ground and not really having a cockpit in the same sense is… interesting. It feels like you could reach out and touch the other racers sometimes.

bought a PSVR + camera for a discounted price at amazon.de I might be sending it back if I get motion sickness again (like I had with the rift dev kit) … those move controllers are expensive! so no move yet … so what is the best PSVR experience?
I bought Thumper VR (never tried it, but it looks great) and REZ is a must have, but what else? I feel like I am too scared to play even the kitchen demo from RE7 …

The Batman VR game is great while it lasts. I’d pick it up on a sale unless you’re loaded. Can’t speak to PSVR exclusives, but Superhot is amazing, Star Trek Bridge Crew and Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes are good multiplayer experiences and if you’re into Jeff Minter, Polybius is supposed to be his best in years. I assume Driveclub VR is worth trying, because cockpit games are a natural fit for VR.

Robo Recall is my fave so far. Elite’s too complicated so far and Dirt Rally made me queasy. Defense Grid is surprisingly good too.

RR is an Oculus exclusive isn’t it?

Ah no idea.

Yes, though Vive folks can play it via Revive.

Diego

Huzzah! I bought my CV1 expecting to continue my shenanigans in Elite and play a bunch of new stuff only to be mostly sucked into playing Robo Recall over and over. It’s remarkable how fun it is for being a game so light on content.

Yeah, custom built for VR too. I tried the Echo Arena tutorial and that did nothing for me so far. Will retry that one.

Lone Echo is great and plays totally different to Echo Arena, other than the movement controls, so bear that in mind.

I brought Dead Effect VR since I’ve heard good things about it, it’s on sale and I wanted something meaty. It’s pretty decent so far, VR makes even the generic Doom 3 looking zombies scary.

I can’t play it for too long though. I don’t usually have problems with motion sickness but the combination of standing + full locomotion is something else.

In other news, InXile has a pretty good deal going on for Rift owners. Buy Mage’s Tale (their VR game) and get Torment and Wasteland 2 for free.

Per a press release, the chain is incorporating the VR environment — experienced via Oculus Rift headsets — into its employee training program to show trainees how to make its signature Original Recipe fried chicken. In order to get out of the virtual escape room, employees will have to play as a pair of disembodied hands to demonstrate (virtual) mastery of the five-step cooking process — inspecting, rinsing, breading, racking, and pressure-frying — all the while being cajoled by a cackling Colonel.

But why? The press release notes that this VR exercise takes workers through the chicken cooking process in just 10 minutes, as opposed to the 25 minutes it takes IRL, so perhaps the idea here is to speed up the training process (and to avoid potentially wasting product). Or hey, maybe somebody at KFC HQ just got a really good deal on a whole pallet of Oculus Rifts.

According to a KFC spokesperson, though, the VR won’t replace hands-on experience: “The game is intended to supplement the existing Chicken Mastery program, not replace it…This is intended to be a fun way to celebrate the work KFC’s more than 19,000 cooks do every day in every restaurant across the U.S. in an engaging way.”

Fact: I like VR
Fact: I like KFC
Query: When I can virtually fry my own chicken?

I wonder if controllers should have more padding, given how often they will be smacked into things.

Funny, a while back I looked up Vive on Thingiverse trying to find a gun stock attachment for it, and one of the top hits is replaceable bumpers to protect them.

after a weekend with PSVR I had some good experiences and some bad…

Thumper works so great in VR, no motion sickness at all, probably because you are not reall moving in virtual space
The little platformer demo Mario-like was great, some parts were a little bit nauseating, but mostly no issues
REZ demo was OK, I felt a bit dizzy at some parts, don’t know if it will get worse in the full game

Statik demo , great, no movement involved

I tried the Trackmanio Turbo demo and it was terrible… can anyone play this without feeling motion sickness?? After 1 minute I had to put it down… maybe I can try to practice,
but I am not sure …

I have to try the Kitchen demo, some say it is causing motion sickness … will see

To be fair I can’t think of many things worse than Trackmania Turbo must be. I didn’t realise TM had VR support. Might have to reinstall Trackmania 2.

Fun fact - My wife and I have punched our walls and ceiling fan multiple times. One of my friends broke a light. Robo Recall and SuperHotVR are dangerous games.

Oh yeah. I have “Turn off ceiling fan” as the #1 item on my pre-VR checklist.

Looks like PSVR is dropping in price. A bit. Not sure it’s enough to make me care yet.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/28/ps-vr-bundles-available-at-a-greater-value-starting-september-1/