Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Compound looks pretty fun. I had not seen that game before. Wishlisted!

Also Demeo has turned out to be a really solid VR tabletop multiplayer experience. I have had some games with Qt3 folk and even strangers that have been not only really fun, but darn near therapeutic after all of this quarantine. We are chatting up the game in another thread even though it is currently only a VR title.

Omg Compound is amaaaazing.

Holy shit I didn’t know that.

Yeah Half-Life: Alyx does this too. Very cool!

Official announcement from Sony expected in the coming weeks…

Interesting if it turns out to be accurate.

Eye tracking with foveated rendering, some kind of haptics in the headset, and resolution between Quest 2 and Reverb G2.

Inside-out tracking is a given these days, but since it would then be kind of ‘all-in-one’ I wonder if they will allow it to work on PC also.

It sounds very good, competition is heating up.

Yaaayyy!

Got mine from VRWave and they are great…removable with magnets so I can easily swap out for the family. Suddenly the blurry is clear!

So, HTC presented their new headsets. A Quest 2-like oriented to business, and a highend PC VR headset.

The kit features LCD displays offering 2448×2448 per-eye resolution with a 120Hz refresh rate and a 120 degree field of view (FOV). There’s also adjustable IPD and support for existing Vive and SteamVR peripherals, though no eye-tracking support as seen in the Vive Pro Eye. You can see a full spec run down right here.
As with the original Vive Pro, HTC is selling Vive Pro 2 in two different forms. The base headset alone will be available for pre-order for $749/£659 and HTC plans to start shipping on June 3rd, when the price will increase to $799. This option is designed for people that already have the essential SteamVR kit: at least two base stations and either a pair of Vive wands or even the Valve Index controllers. The device is available to everyone.
A full kit, meanwhile, includes two 2.0 base stations and the Vive wands. It will launch on August 4 for $1399/£1299.

Resolution is pretty awesome. You will also need a ‘pretty awesome’ pc to move all those pixels. No idea how the Focus 3 will do it being standalone.

Vive Focus 3 / Vive Pro 2 11.985.408 pixels
Oculus Quest 2 7.034.880 pixels
HP Reverb G2 9.331.200 pixels
Valve Index 4.608.000 pixels

Exciting! Now I have to decide if it’s worth upgrading my Index. I’ve always had good luck selling my previous-gen headsets on Ebay at a good price.

That huge increase in the pixel count looks tempting. I wonder if the 120 degree FOV will be a noticeable improvement. I think the Index is officially 110 degrees but perhaps more with the custom faceplate I use.

And not that it matters much, but I definitely prefer the look of the Index to that Vive Pro black and blue with dimples style. Looks like clunky, old tech compared to the sleek Index.

So upgraded screens and lenses, with nothing notably modern or innovative. Seems a nice upgrade for PC users with an existing lighthouse setup, but I can’t see many buying into this ecosystem new, especially at that price.

Interesting that as the resolutions get higher, we’re now in the realm of lossy compression over dedicated video cables. Though the claim is of course that it is ‘visually imperceptible’, I wonder how long before they need to start cranking up that compression even more?

I’d be on board for the FOV alone, I’ve only used Rift/S/Quest 2 and that’s much more my main gripe rather than resolution.

So you are buying into the whole ecosystem new then? :)

Yeah high FOV would be nice for sure. Unfortunately that’s one thing that is often vague or using different metrics across headsets. In this case it seems there is confusion over whether they are claiming 120 degrees FOV horizontally or diagonally.

Oh hell no, I don’t play VR enough to justify laying out a grand on a headset and system, especially since I need to lay out two grand for a PC to run it, which you can’t buy right now. But 120 degrees would be nice. ;)

Yeah, I agree that the small fov is my main gripe of the Q2 but… they aren’t asking me to pay $150 more ($450 instead of $300) for that extra fov, they are asking to more than double the price.

Oh it’s more than a grand… and on top of that you’d need to add Knuckles controllers, since who wants to use those old Vive wands these days? :D

Also like me you’ve come through the Rift to the S, to the Quests, would you really want to go back to external tracking setups?

After using my G2 for a while, the bigger consideration for me now is usability. G2 is pretty much clunky in every way, while the Quest 2 is super slick to use. And the free innovations they keep adding to their software is amazing. :)

Okay, just picked up a Quest 2.

I have a pretty extensive Rift Library. I had a few games show up in the “sale” section for free that I owned on Rift — the 3 Vader Immortal games, The Climb, I Expect You to Die, and Dance Central.

Is that how Cross-Buy titles you own show up? I guess most of my Oculus titles that are also on Quest 2 aren’t Cross Buy. (I know Beat Sabre isn’t.)

I’m gonna read back through this topic, but just for the quick answer: I assume tethering will give me the best perf for flight sims?

Awesome! Let us know your Oculus handle so we can friend you. :)

Correct - they show up as ‘free’ on the Quest store.

I don’t think there is any real performance difference between tethering and wireless. Latency will be better tethered though.

Thanks, @Profanicus! My Oculus ID is DennyA.