Wallet Threat Level

Holy hell I just saw a trailer for this and yeah…it sounds kinda crazy, but maybe in the best possible way? I’ll be looking to hearing back from QT3 folk on this one.

I’ll just ramble on my love for the author.

Other characteristics of his writings include ever-present switching perspective in the narration (usually as a character with her own views, more rarely as a simple narration point of view), and self-doubts presented as they are by the characters in their thoughts, or prejudices in the way they see things, which borderline to deceit or self-deceit… when they aren’t straightdown lies.
There is quite a bit of humor, and it is, excepting for about… three instances I can recall over his over 20 years of writing? never “anime”, or rom-com, or whatever you’ll find all over Japanese fictional works, but actual, “real” articulated humor.
A couple of his writing works for games had hentai content before editing (the one released this week did), but ironically enough there is zero misoginy - another exceptional feat in Japanese… in Japanese anything, actually.
The writing can get really, really graphical. “Stusser would love it” levels of stomach-urching. It’s less an issue in the game, funnily, than in his books, as the graphical support to the text make it often less disturbing than what you can picture in your head with his words.
He also doesn’t shy away from adressing taboos, many taboos, which can make it quite uncomfortable.
He also enjoys building neologism, and using foreign words in meaning or allegories different from what the Japanese language does customarly with them, which borders to erudition. There is also some erudition sparkled out here and there actually, for the people loving those kind of plays.

All he writes isn’t gold, of course, but he’s the rare author who is aware of it.

I should stop.

Incorrect - Mahoutsukai no Yoru was always all-ages.

Shows you I really didn’t read anything about it at all! I saw some red label on a cover and thought as much :)

Looks amazing doesn’t it? I’m not a fan of horror, but I am of trains and first person shooters. :)

Very interesting. Will this game be a good starting point for this author? You mentioned an innocuous sounding title being so much more meaningful to familiar with his universe, so I was thinking maybe it’s not a good starting point.

I’ll answer you once I’m done reading it! (which should take a whole month at least, as Amazon’s Kindle kindly informed me I was reading Japanese books seven times slower than the average reader).

I don’t really know? I was waiting for the release date to get closer to actually look for more info on the game, and I suppose now would be a good time, but I heard good things from people who played the demo when it was available. We’ll see.

It’s nothing like Startopia, geometry aside, FWIW.

Hearthstone latest expansion is out today if anyone besides me is still playing.

Added Hindsight to today’s release list. It was a critically acclaimed game on iOS, Switch and PC coming to these new platforms today.

The coming week is not as huge a threat to our wallets as last week, judging by the responses last week. High on Life is on game pass, which saves money for some, and similarly the Witcher 3’s next gen upgrade is free. The Final fantasy 7 spin off on the Vita is getting ported to all the other platforms this week. That might be a wallet threat for FF7 completionists. Any other wallet threats for you?

Monday (12/12/22):​

• Wavetale (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Two Point Campus: Space Academy DLC (Switch)

Tuesday (12/13/22):​

• High on Life (PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Infinite Guitars (PC, Xbox One, Switch)
  • Crisis Core - Final Fantasy 7 - Reunion (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Gris (PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Neon White (PS4, PS5)
  • Master of Magic (PC)

Wednesday (12/14/22):​

• Formula Retro Racing - World Tour (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition [next-gen upgrade] (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Lil Gator Game (PC, Switch)

Thursday (12/15/22):​

• Melatonin (PC)
  • Blacktail (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • The Crackpet Show (PC, Switch)
  • Aka (PC, Switch)
  • Bots Are Stupid (PC)

Friday (12/16/22):​

• Cygnus Enterprises (PC)
  • The Block (PC)
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (Switch)
  • The Fantastic Kitty Rue (PC)

Even older - it was a PSP game. Also, it’s a very cool game regardless of the FF7 story stuff, and it sounds like the remake changes a lot of stuff for the better.

This just reminded me I bought a physical copy of this a few years back along with a few other PSP games that I never even opened.

Oh right, I added Master of Magic remake. Almost forgot to add that. That’s a huge wallet threat this week.

Gosh, if that wasn’t confusing enough. Now there are three games published by Slitherine sharing the same name!
I still think the original broken game is the best experience.

Peaceful week here… excepting if the xmas sale is triggered on thursday, I’ll then have to make my presents :O

Dec 22-Jan 5 this year. Your wallet is safe :)

For an extra week! Thank you.

Blacktail will be hard to resist. Love the look of this game.

The Epic Store sale starts this Thursday. Hoping for a good discount on Stranger of Paradise! I feel like killing Chaos.