Wallet Threat Level

I have to say, that was a fine demo! Wishlisted!

Thanks! Appreciate the support. Game is now launched so excuse me while I curl up into a nervous ball.

Is the demo for Rogue AI Simulator still up? I can’t see it anymore.

It’s been taken down for the time being for launch! Just so as not to cannibalise sales. Will probably make a future return for SteamFest events and such~

Ok thanks for letting me know.

Trying something a little different this week. It’s MLK Jr day and I don’t have many tasks to finish at work this morning. Probably too much work to do every week. Heh. After looking up one sentence summaries for each game though, I figure people’s wallets might be in the most danger from Candle Knight. That game looks freakin’ gorgeous. Or maybe that’s just me. I figure lots of people have a major wallet threat from the latest Fire Emblem game on Switch. Monster Hunter Rise, Persona 3 and 4 also come to various platforms this week, though they also come to Game Pass, if you have that, so not a major wallet threat if you do. Roberta Williams is reimagining a game from 1976? What? I’m guessing the original Colossal Cave was a text adventure maybe?

Tuesday (1/17/23):​

• Surviving the Abyss (PC Early Access) - Earth, 1976. You have been tasked with managing a deep-sea science facility working to perfect cloning. Mine resources, light your way in the dark, and explore the ocean floor to further your research. Maintain oxygen, power and more to keep your crew alive. Beware,the darkness hides untold horrors.
  • Farlanders (PC) - Terraform, strategize, and construct a Martian colony in this retro-inspired turn-based city builder. Create a comfortable living for your citizens, research alien artifacts, and uncover the secrets of the Red Planet.
  • Re:Call (PC, Xbox Series X/S, Switch) - “An enthralling adventure told inside memories. Navigate through the recollections of a quirky cast of characters and mold their destiny.”
  • Gigantosaurus: Dino Kart (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch) - Be your favorite dino and speed around Cretacia in a kart championship for up to 4 players.

Wednesday (1/18/23):​

• Definitely Not Fried Chicken (PC) - “Grow your drugs trade through legitimate fronts by managing both sides of the business. Acquire new “businesses”, meet new clientele, Develop more potent narcotics, make lots of money and leave a city in ruin!”
  • Wings of Bluestar (XBO, Xbox Series X|S, already on all other platforms?) “As mankind faces the remnants of a mysterious artificial intelligence, it’s up to trainee pilot Aya and veteran ace Zarak to investigate the resurgent threat against free space.”

Thursday (1/19/23):​

• Colossal Cave Reimagined by Roberta Williams (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch) - “an exciting and thrilling adventure. Immerse yourself in the world of Colossal Cave, explore its vast caverns and vistas, seek the diverse treasures within, and encounter both friends and foes in your quest.”
  • Persona 3 Portable (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch) - “Master the power of the heart, Persona, and uncover the tragic truth of the Dark Hour. Experience the iconic, critically acclaimed RPG…”
  • Persona 4 Golden (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch) - “Experience a coming-of-age story that sets the protagonist and his friends on a journey kickstarted by a chain of serial murders.”
  • A Space For The Unbound (PC, PS4, XBO, Switch) - “A slice-of-life adventure game with beautiful pixel art set in the late ‘90s rural Indonesia that tells a story about overcoming anxiety, depression, and the relationship between a boy and a girl with supernatural powers.”
  • Graze Counter GM (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S, Switch) - “A refreshing and highly re-playable bullet hell style shooter that pushes you to play dangerously.”
  • Tortuga - A Pirate’s Tale (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S, Switch) - “Raid and voyage in the Caribbean; engage in tactical naval battles; parley with pirate legends, and more in Tortuga – A Pirate’s Tale.”

Friday (1/20/23):​

• Fire Emblem Engage (Switch) - " The turn-based, tactical battle system returns with a fresh cast of characters you can customize and Engage to carefully craft your strategy."
  • Candle Knight (PC) - “Wield your flame to overcome menacing creatures lurking in the shadows of a ruined castle, use the dynamic difficulty system to your advantage, traverse challenging platforming sections and solve cryptic puzzles inside surreal paintings in this 2.5D action adventure platformer.”
  • Monster Hunter Rise (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S) - “The critically acclaimed action-RPG series returns! Set in the Japanese folklore inspired land of Kamura, players will team up to battle fearsome monsters…”
  • OmegaBot (PS4, PS5, XBO, Switch, already on PC since June 2022) - “As the OmegaBot, dodge metallic dangers, acquire powerful weapons, and blast your way through a ravaged world full of deadly machines.”
  • Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On (IOS) - “Saddle up for this unique solitaire and horse-racing hybrid from Game Freak, creators of the Pokémon franchise! Pocket Card Jockey originally released to great acclaim on the Nintendo 3DS, and while the basic rules are the same, the racing segments have been reborn in glorious 3-D!”

The Indonesian adventure game A Space for the Unbound looks pretty intriguing as well. I think I saw that one mentioned in a couple of anticipatory 2023 games lists.

I know two people who are looking forward to this one!

Pocket Card Jockey out of the 3DS is about time. Glorious 3D though, urm, I loved my derp looking horses.

I’m buying Persona 3 and Graze Counter GM this week.

I would be playing Pocket Card Jockey as well if it weren’t an Apple Arcade exclusive. I put a lot of time into it on 3DS and would love to go back to it.

I’ve had Farlanders on my wishlist since mid-2021. It is a pretty unusual title, being a turn-based colony builder that gives you terraforming assets arranged on a 3x3 grid you then have to figure out how to place in your colony for maximum benefit.

Yeah, Colossal Cave is practically THE original text adventure, and the inspiration for Zork. I think it started as a digital reconstruction of a real life cave (programmed by a caver) and then another designer came in and added fantastical elements like monsters and treasure to it.

Indies’ Lies, a nice looking roguelike deckbuilder that I’ve had on my wishlist for a while, came out of early access yesterday with a 20% launch discount. Sunday counts as this week, right? So I guess it’s a red alert for my wallet this week.

I’m interested in Colossal Cave Adventure, as someone who played the original text adventure. Not sure if I’m quite interested enough to put down money, but I’m at least a little bit interested.

Oh thanks! I know I had that on my wishlist at one point. Have you bought it yet?

Drop by the deckbuilder thread

Not yet. But probably tonight. I’ll report my impressions in the other threat when I pick it up.

Please do. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Since you brought it up… what does being turn based add to the game? I watched a trailer but was still in the dark afterward.

I tend to avoid colony builders these days because they are typically real time. What does being turn-based add? Not sure, aside from the obvious. I do think the terraforming system sounds neat, though.

Just to follow up on my earlier note, in case anyone was curious here’s an initial impression of Colossal Cave Reimagined. This video is from Metal Jesus, who notes that he used to work for Sierra and provided notes during development of the game. But … maybe best to wait for a sale if you’re curious.

I guess one gets the friends they deserve. ew.