Wallet Threat Level

I think this is purely turn-based, with no Combat Mission-style WEGO system? It certainly looks a bit like CM1 visually. ;)

Still, it’s my main threat also. Looks to be inspired by Advanced Squad Leader, and has a map editor!

I’m under threat for two games that didn’t make the big list: 8-Bit Adventures 2 ,a jrpg that looks like it belongs on the NES (1/31), and SpellForce: Conquest of EO, a 4x (2/3). I’ll likely let the reviews trickle in before pulling the trigger on either of them, though.

Yes that is correct, it is turn based so not really in the same vein as CM’s WEGO. It does have the ASL inspiration and agreed, I love the map editor inclusion on launch tomorrow!

Dead Space definitely took a big chunk of money from me. I’m very happy with it, of course, since it’s a remake of a game I already love, somewhat inexplicably. (My summary of my posts in 2008/2009 while I was playing Dead Space: This game sucks… why do I love it so much?)

I am staying away from Forspoken for now. The reviews scared me away. I did end up playing quite a bit of the surprise release that was not on last week’s Wallet threat post but ended up being a surprise release: HiFi Rush. I am finding it so charming and so lo-fi engaging, if that’s a thing. To describe that in terms of Qt3, I really enjoy playing it, and look forward to my next session, but not in a way that I want to post about it on Qt3, just enough to just enjoy it by myself. It’s a shadow drop and feels like my own secret game.

Even if someone is interested in Forskpoken and not scared away from the reviews, the sensible option is wait, because i think you will be able to buy it with a fair discount in 3 months.

@Rock8man There’s something very charming in the idea of a secret game. At times I don’t want to share anything about an experience (playing some games, after finishing some movies) because it’s still alive and personal, and any other input would only subtract from the effect.

@TurinTur If you said six months, I’d argue that’s in fact a majority of games that release.

Recommended review from Eurogamer:

After reading that, I wonder if I have the patience to get through the mundane parts of the game. It sounds rewarding if I can do it.

Wallet alarm levels have gone off out of nowhere the past couple weeks - I was not expecting this!

Second Front
Battletech: Rise of Raselhause
Steel Division 2: Blood feud in Transylvania
Inkulinati
Industries of Titan
Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts
SGS Taipings
Spellforce: Conquest of Eo
Dead Space.

I’m trying to fit in a Witcher 3 playthrough here guys. Come on!

This arcade classic that was recently in the Atari Collection is being reimagined by Jeff Minter and releasing on February 21st.

As usual with Jeff Minter, there’s way too many bright colors pulsing and too much on the screen at the same time. His games are just not for me.

I never look at this thread but my wallet just went off.

Which is why you might not realize it’s a weekly check-in for how you feel about the week’s new releases. : )

There are probably better places to talk about the kinds of games you’ve listed that won’t be out for some time. Alternatively, maybe they deserve their own threads? But thanks for the heads up, especially on Dredge and Storyteller. Those look interesting and I’d never heard of them before.

Oh! Duly noted. I so rarely pay attention to release dates but I noticed there were several highly anticipated games on my wishlist that were ‘upcoming’ and I just had to say oh no somewhere!

I was so excited to see Inkulinati got released recently… but in early access. Jett is perhaps the most tempting at the moment because it looks so strange and fascinating.

I mainly check the thread to see Rock8man’s comments about the week’s releases and Rhamorim’s crazy backlog building. It’s worth it! Please come back!

Right? Wallet threat to some, moar waiting to others! Please subscribe to my “Early Access Messes Up Everything!” newsletter. :)

I think they mentioned in the game that it was an arcade classic as well, which was strange to me cause having practically lived in arcades from 80-85, i dont recall seeing it once…

I think the major wallet threat this week is Hogwarts Legacy. Especially since the review embargo is over and it seems to be getting very positive reviews this morning. If you’re looking over the horizon into next week like @geggis, we’ve got Returnal coming to the PC next week that’s a major wallet threat, and Jett and Dead Space came last week. The wallet threat level is high.

Tuesday (2/7/23):​

• Scorchlands (PC) (Early Access)
  • Nadir: A Grimdark Deckbuilder (PC, Switch) (Early Access)
  • Prison Tycoon: Under New Management (PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S, Switch) - “Build a huge prison, crafting every building, every room, and every path and furnish them as you like! Be sure the layout you design makes efficient use of the power grid and water systems.”
  • Endling - Extinction is Forever (IOS, Android)

Wednesday (2/9/23):

• Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch) - Surprise!

Thursday (2/9/23):​

• Monster Outbreak (Switch)

Friday (2/10/23):​

• Hogwarts Legacy (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S) - “Hogwarts Legacy is an open-world action RPG set in the world introduced in the Harry Potter books. Explore and discover magical beasts, customize your character and craft potions, master spell casting, upgrade talents and become the wizard you want to be.”

After reading some reviews even I (a notoriously “not really a fan of Harry Potter” dude) just might have to play Hogwarts Legacy.

I hope you’re happy, @Left_Empty !

Not a threat to my wallet whatsoever. Which is just as well because a couple Kickstarters have decided to hit me up instead. (Not videogames, though.)

Wanted: Dead gets the best name of the releases this week, I think. Returnal gets the worst name. But Returnal is a big threat to my wallet this week as it comes out for the PC. How about you? Any big wallet threats this week? Maybe Wild Hearts for people who wanted a Monster Hunter clone?

Tuesday (2/14/23):​

• Wanted: Dead (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Karagon (PC)
  • Souls of Chronos (PC, PS5, Switch)
  • Journey to the Savage Planet (PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society (PS4, PS5, Switch, PC)
  • Blanc (Switch, PC)
  • Zero Wing (PC)
  • Twin Cobra (PC)
  • Truxton (PC)
  • Toaplan Arcade Shoot ‘Em Up Collection Vol.1 (PC)
  • Ten Dates (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Out Zone (PC)
  • Journey to the Savage Planet: Employee of the Month Edition (PS5, Xbox Series X/S)

Wednesday (2/15/23):​

• Returnal (PC)
  • Corpse Keeper (PC)
  • Pharaoh: A New Era (PC)

Thursday (2/16/23):​

• Threatrhythm Final Bar Line (PS4, Switch)
  • Loretta (PC)
  • Shadow Warrior 3 Definitive Edition (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Wild West Dynasty (PC)
  • Hellcard (PC)

Friday (2/17/23):​

• Wild Hearts (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Tales of Symphonia Remastered (PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • The Settlers: New Allies (PC)
  • Mosaic Chronicles Deluxe (Switch)
  • The Last Kids on Earth: Hit the Deck! (PC)
  • Gigantosaurus: Dino Kart (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)

Saturday (2/18/23):​

• The Dreams in the Witch House (PC)