Wallet Threat Level

Pharaoh seems to have a very weird release protocol all round. It’s coming out on a Wednesday, which is relatively unusual in itself. According to Steam it unlocks at 3pm London time, which is very random. And there’s no price, so you can’t pre-order it even if you wanted to.

Well, for what it’s worth, The Guardian’s reviewer seems to like it, specifically calls out the emulation as being pretty solid.

This is the one I’m most interested in. Labyrinth of Refrain was a fairly decent Etrian-like JRPG dungeon crawler.

my friend was streaming his experience, and the game was experiencing random slowdowns at the most random points, the sound effects were cut (and there seemed to be no sound filters so it was a pain to the ears), there were screen settings but somehow the scanlines would never go away, and in the same sort of strangeness, there was an autofire button in the controls that had no impact on the gameplay.
And the interface, in his words, “was designed by an engineer, not a player”.
He is such a bright fellow, I had never seen him this disappointed.

Ah, i forgot to mention he played only Outzone (but it’s the game that made the announcement exciting to begin with)

Pharaoh has an introductory price of £17 in the UK, going up to £20 in a week.

That’s $23 USD discounted down to $19.50 for those on the other side of the pond.

i had no idea what this was yesterday. while pretty much the opposite of a final fantasy fan, I saw a friend stream it and was immediately enthused by it. I grabbed the generous demo (30 songs!), and now i’m actually convincing myself to not throw 100 bucks at the full edition. This is surprisingly great.

Dang the title of the game sucks!

I was going to wait and see how Pharaoh ended up, but that price was a real nice surprise. Not sure why, but I was expecting £30+ territory.

The game actually released a bit earlier, and from one of the Steam opinions, written actually by somebody who did the English translation (which seemed very good, from the demo):

It’s so different to anything else out there for Lovecraft fans. One thing that might confuse some players is that it’s not meant to be played exclusively to “win” or to “beat it”… it is an immersive trip into the world of the story.

Couldn’t make me happier.

Game is also very lowly priced. Bought it, you bet!

This week it’s wallet threat level VR. If you own a PS5, and want a PSVR2, your wallet is going to take a hurtin’. In non-VR flat 2D gaming, Jeff Minter is releasing his cover of Atari Arcade classic Akka Arrh. I’m pretty sure Blood Bowl 3 sounds like it should be a wallet threat for some folks. Octopath Traveler 2 has been getting great reviews, that’s coming out this week. Kirby’s coming back with a remake. Company of Heroes 3 is coming. And finally, Kerbal Space Program 2 is coming, and I know we’ve got a lot of fans of the first game here. (KSP2 is early access? Their website is very barebones, so I can’t tell).

Monday (2/20/23):​

• Ex Natura: Nature Corrupted (PC)

Tuesday (2/21/23):​

• Like a Dragon: Ishin (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Atomic Heart (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Akka Arrh (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle+Hell Deluxe Edition (PS4, Switch)

Wednesday (2/22/23):​

• PlayStation VR2 (PS5)
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain (PSVR2)
  • After the Fall (PSVR2)
  • Resident Evil Village (PSVR2)
  • Tetris Effect: Connected (PS5, PSVR2)
  • Cities: VR – Enhanced Edition (PSVR2)
  • Moss and Moss: Book II Bundle (PSVR2)
  • Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate (PSVR 2)
  • Cosmonious High (PSVR 2)
  • Fantavision 202X (PSVR 2)
  • Gran Turismo 7 PSVR 2 upgrade (PSVR 2)
  • Job Simulator (PSVR 2)
  • Jurassic World Aftermath Collection (PSVR 2)
  • Kayak VR: Mirage (PSVR 2)
  • Kizuna AI – Touch the Beat! (PSVR 2)
  • The Last Clockwinder (PSVR 2)
  • The Light Brigade (PSVR 2)
  • Moss 1 & 2 Remaster (PSVR 2)
  • NFL Pro Era (PSVR 2)
  • Pavlov VR (PSVR 2)
  • Pistol Whip (PSVR 2)
  • Puzzling Places (PSVR 2)
  • Rez Infinite (PSVR 2)
  • Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge - Enhanced Edition (PSVR 2)
  • Redemption Reapers (PC, PS4)
  • Digimon World: Next Order (Switch, PC)

Thursday (2/23/23):​

• Blood Bowl 3 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Remorse: The List (XBO, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Aces & Adventures (PC)
  • Company of Heroes 3 (PC)
  • Sons of the Forest (PC)
  • Planet Cube: Edge (PC, PS4, XBO, Switch)

Friday (2/24/23):​

• Octopath Traveler 2 (PC, PS4, PS5, Switch)
  • Clive ‘N’ Wrench (PC, PS4, PS5, Switch)
  • Lootbox Lyfe+ (PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Switch)
  • The Pale Beyond (PC)
  • Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key (PC, PS4, PS5, Switch)
  • Kerbal Space Program 2 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)

CoH 3 is a five alarm fire. I do like me some Minter, but I should probably deal with my backlog (including Polybius!) first. I’ll be getting KSP2 eventually, I expect, but definitely going to give it more time in the oven.

Yep! Been staring at this in my cart all day.

COH3_DIGITAL-PREMIUM-EDITION_ARRAY_600x330_EN

I am spamming the retreat button on my wallet, but its not working!

92c4733cb28d75099ac2f5577bd895899723fc53

I cannot wait to play CoH3. Have a ton of time spent in the other 2 titles and this one is promising to be a good one as well. Relic is engaged with the community and has been actively applying changes after every test.

Blood Bowl 3 is also on my list this week. Keeping an eye out on Redemption Reapers and reviews.

Atomic Hearts is on GamePass so that’s where I will play that one.

I think this is the thing I am most interested in outside of Kerbal.

This is by far my most devastating Wallet Threat Level ever. It even annihilates some grueling Kiddo/ Skylander days. I have just bought, will buy, already owned but am upgrading, or am rebuying from another platform a sizeable chunk of your Wednesday list. Oh, and I bought a “budget” racing rig for GT7 too. Wallet KO!

OMG…those Skylander days were spendy!

Will try Atomic Heart on gamepass. The VR thing I had in the cart and ordered once but cancelled…played In Death on the OC2 last night and just don’t need the PSVR2…yet.

I liked seeing this calendar view of releases and events. https://calendar.terminals.io/ But it’s too empty! Maybe being from a PR firm explains why the entries look to all be “known” titles. Or they’re new? Irrelevant questions for me, as I need notifications regardless. I can’t remember to revisit other sites.

Is Catan Console Edition that’s coming out this week different from the version that came out on the Xbox 360 I wonder? Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty could be a wallet threat this week, especially if you don’t have Game Pass. I’m not sure why I’m listing “The Day Before”, I thought that was vaporware? I’m sure that’s a mistake. I used to play a lot of Destiny, so seeing a new expansion for Destiny 2 does make me wonder: hey is that still a wallet threat for folks?

Monday (2/27/23):​

• Voltaire: The Vegan Vampire (PC)
  • Anemoiapolis: Chapter 1 (PC)

Tuesday (2/28/23):​

• Scars Above (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Dead Cide Club (PC)
  • Remedium: Sentinels (PC)
  • Catan - Console Edition (PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Destiny 2: Lightfall (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Dungeons of Aether (PC, Mac)
  • Horace (PS4, XBO)
  • Phantom Brigade (PC)
  • Lucy Dreaming (Switch)
  • Rytmos (PC, Switch)
  • Fernbus Coach Simulator (PS5, Xbox Series X/S)

Wednesday (3/1/23):​

• The Day Before (PC)
  • Fight’N Rage (PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Leap (PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)

Thursday (3/2/23):​

• King of the Castle (PC)
  • One Military Camp (PC)

Friday (3/3/23):​

• Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series X/S)

Anyone planning to get this? It’s been ages since I played a Destiny title but early on I had a ton of fun with that series.

Ya, The Day Before is now scheduled for November 10, 2023, though i’ve read that’s cough in question too.