War for the Overworld (DK remake)

Aye, the game released with no hotkeys but they’ve been patched in since.

I had a quick root through the options last night and noticed that the tutorial/tool tips extend from default to advanced to something else I don’t remember (Crucible?) and Heart of Gold. I welcome all these pointers because I felt like there was a lot I still didn’t understand after finishing the campaign. I’d like to play through it again though and then jump into the DLC. I believe there’s one more expansion on the way.

50% speed has been manageable for me, but I’m only on the second tutorial mission. If it does come to the point I can’t handle the speed, I hope it takes less than 2 hours to get there.

I kind of liked it, but I played it shortly after release. One thing I hate are the special scripted missions that do not play like normal games. I got stuck on one of those and never finished the campaign. It was the one where the heroes are going from one side to the other. They are not interested in attacking you, just getting to a gate. If so many get by, you lose. I tried about 5 times until I gave up.

Haha, I remember us discussing this mission some time ago @DeepT! That was one of my favourite missions because you had to think outside the box and explore your options. In doing so you’d come to appreciate the utility of a certain spell… I read there’s a few ways of doing it but the way I did it felt right and very satisfying.

Anyway, yeah, I wanted more missions or scenarios like that!

@tgb123: I know a lot of people fret over the speed of this game but, barring a few levels (like the one above, and even then, you only need to know a certain trick to get a good footing), you can mostly take your time and feel your way around the map at your own pace. I totally stick by my position that DK1 was more punishing than WftO.

This was unexpected:

The Future of WFTO

In November, slightly before the release of Patch 1.5, we announced our plans for the endgame of WFTO. We also gave you a timeline for our final expansion, as well as the next and final major patch.

As we’ve often said in the past the nature of videogame development is fluid - circumstances change and so inevitably plans change. We’re happy to say that, thanks in part to the success of Patch 1.5 and the Crucible, we’re looking to develop more content over 2017 than originally intended.

This changes our original timeline in the following ways:

• New content will be introduced throughout the year, including an all-new oft-requested game mode in the first half of the year
  • The next expansion is no longer releasing in Q1-Q2 but much later in the year, or even early next year - overall quality will be higher
  • The Skirmish AI update will now release before the next expansion

Much more content overall will be produced for WFTO than originally intended; we’re working on a few features we always wanted to do but couldn’t fit in before. Unfortunately we’re not quite ready to share all the details with you yet - as always we want to ensure we’re confident in all the new features before we start building hopes. But we will certainly be sharing more news with you in the coming months.

I also love the patch note introductions which can surely only be heard in the voice of Richard Ridings:

Darkest greetings Underlord,

The eternal work continues unabated within the foundries at Brightrock Games! The hammering of steel and the sound of arcane machines can be heard beyond the doors as our Augres and Cultists mould the shape of things to come.

I guess the game is performing markedly better than expected. Good for them; the game’s an enjoyable experience.

2.0 patch and expansion news:

https://wftogame.com/undergames-announcement/

Yep, it’s come a long way and they continue to improve it. Amazing support.

I played this shortly after it came out. I never finished it because I hated the puzzle missions. There was one where you needed to stop packs of knights or something from entering a portal. They didn’t attack your dungeon, just went from point A to B.

I think after 4 attempts of that mission, I gave up. Has this kind of thing been improved? I guess other aspects of the game have improved greatly.

That’s really cool they’re still working on it! Thanks for posting this, I wouldn’t have known otherwise. Going to add it to wishlist now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Daily deal 75% off!

Patch notes, and lots of 'em:

https://wftogame.com/wfto-2-0-patch-notes/

Time to reinstall this again.

Summary of patch notes:

New Expansion: The Under Games (all-new 7-level campaign)
New Game Modes
Revamped AI
The Map Editor (MightyScript)
Bug Fixes
Aesthetic Improvements (over 100 new animations, overhauled VFX, overhauled materials & shaders)
New & Updated Systems
Remastered Campaign
New Aspects, Units & Shrines
Updated Aspects, Units & Shrines
Rebalanced Systems

Blimey, this is a ‘minor’ update.

This was my first thought just now. I’m glad someone already said it … (checks date)… 5.5 years ago. Wow. It’s a remake of Donkey Kong from over 5 years ago!

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Time to reinstall it. Be quiet Battletech! I am NOT leaving you.

Is this the best supported game out there that isn’t named Factorio? That is a crazy patch list, and I don’t think the game was in any way broken before.

I’m sure there are plenty we’re not aware of but War for the Overworld deserved that Steam award for labour of love or whatever it was called. The game took a beating at release because they had to ship it or fold, and since then they’ve done nothing but support it. They could have stopped years ago but their drive to leave it in as good a state as possible (SP/MP longevity, user created sustainability, performance, stability, balance) before moving on is pretty damn amazing. I totally didn’t expect this degree of commitment when I bought it at launch. Tremendous stuff.