Warhammer 40,000 Action-RPG

Relic just announced Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine for 360/PS3.

Space Marine is a third-person hackandslash that puts you in control of a marine in a squad sent to try and retake a Forge world from the orks.

In footage shown to Eurogamer in Canada last week, an Ultramarine squad took on masses of Nobs and Warbosses in the shadow of titans, and ships overhead.

Although combat specifics were thin on the ground, we were told to expect a mixture of ranged and melee combat, and RPG-style upgrade and customisation systems.

I loved the DoW2 campaign and of course the old Space Hulk game, so that’s great news!

Relic, hack’n’slash, ok, day one purchase.

There was footage of this shown off last year. Everyone in the RPS comments complained that the boltgun behaved nothing like a boltgun (which is true!).

Yeah, the new trailer looks a lot better than that leaked footage though. And there are a lot fewer references to “cinemaction”.

Not the same game.

One thing it’s not doing though is a PC version, and Dunn gives the impression that in the same way THQ didn’t feel Dawn of War was a good enough fit for console to warrant a port, it doesn’t see Space Marine as a game fit for PC. “It’s like, if God of War was on the PC, what kind of an experience would that be?” says Dunn. “And I think it’s our idea that it wouldn’t be the ideal experience. You could probably make it work, but it’s not where the beat is and where the strength of the platform is, so instead of washing the game out so it’s appropriate for multiple platforms, it’s about building the game to the specific platforms that we want.”

Sad panda. :< I don’t understand why is it console-exclusive, while ex-console exclusive publishers such as Capcom is porting all its game onto PC. Oh well, I wish Relic doesn’t become another Koei (Dynasty Warrior is based on the strategy game Romance of Three Kingdoms).

It’s not exclusive to any one console maker, though, so they could probably port the game to the PC quite easily. Playable with a gamepad, of course.

Looks like God of War.

It sort of is. THQ cancelled the game being developed by the Aussie studio, gutted it for mechanics and assets and shipped it off to Relic to turn into the action/rpg thing it is now.

Oh, i didn’t know there was a transfer of material from one studio to the other.

The new video looks like they saved very little. The engine and art look completely different.

And God/whatever bless them for that.

Is it just me, or did parts of that trailer look like bits of DoW2 ripped directly into that game?

I guess you could chalk that up as a compliment to DoW2.

I will buy this, FOR THE EMPEROR!

I’m a little confused. Isn’t the DoW II single player already an action-RPG?

That one was tactical this one will probably have none of that…

I disagree. Sure, the gameplay shown in the RPS vid looked and sounded like… an April 1st joke or something. But Relic’s “now with 100 TRILLION lumens!!!” thing looks almost as pathetically sad as the gameplay the other vid demoed.

Really, unless everything is made of plastic and there’s a star going nova half a block away, nothing should look like that.

Different game, different developer. Same name, same publisher.

Looks great, day one purchase! I’m sure they’re re-purposing the DOW2 engine.

Between this title and Brutal Legend, I may actually use my 360 for something besides media streaming. It’s a frightening/exciting prospect.