Warhammer 40k Battlesector

I’m a known idiot and had no problem understanding the rules. Game is thicc with tooltips and shit.

https://youtu.be/nodA5bxueyo

It’s on Game Pass, incidentally. Been thinking about taking it for a test drive myself.

Yeah, that sounds awesome and it will be free to everyone!

FYI, this is on PC Game Pass and I played it tonight. The raves up above are worthy. It’s really solid and a lot of fun. I say that as a guy whose only real contact with Warhammer has only ever been through PC games. The setting is perfect for turn-based games like this (obviously) but as noted in that Kotaku review, the over the top voice acting really sells it.

Chainswords never get old, man. And flamethrowers… and plasma guns… and aliens going splat. I’ve only done the three tutorials and the first real mission, but I’m already more than interested enough to keep going. This is quality turn based entertainment.

So I also tried this, played the three tutorials, and am on the 2nd campaign mission. Good superficially, actually great superficially, BUT…

I can’t speed up the animation of my dudes? (Yes, I know how to speed up enemy animation, but I see no way to speed up my dudes.) My slow, ponderous dudes, who shoot heroin, then eat stacks of turkey, then slooooooooooooowly “run” into position and shoot like somnambulant possums? WTF? I mean, WHAT THE HELL?

It makes the baby jesus cry. It’s game breaking, for me.

Is there a mod that I can use? A hack? A console command? B/C F Me I want to enjoy this but the freaking animations, Jesus wept.

It’s worse than unpatched Battletech on release and THAT was some bullshiiiit. I click. Dudes go. NOW, goddamnit. That’s what I want.

There are 3rd party programs like cheat engine’s speedhack. Because you can move troops simultaneously you don’t have to wait and watch before doing something else.

I totally get this. This particular issue might not be gamebreaking for me, but there are other things that drive me INSANE about some games, that other people might not even notice. Typically around visual frippery that distracts from actual information. The Gloomhaven world map, which fortunately is a tiny part of the game, has these little random squiggly lines that float across it for no reason. If you actually had to look at that map for more than 0.001% of the time you were playing Gloomhaven, I would have refunded.

Image needs a tiny bolt gun sized for possum hands.

Beyond my art skills, I’m afraid, but knock yourself out! :)

So the new campaign is a Dark Crusade style conquer the map game.

Today we’ve announced a number of new additions coming to Battlesector in 2022. The team at Black Lab Games is really excited to be working on a new faction and a new campaign system.

Since launching Battlesector in July, we’ve seen a lot of requests for more factions. Today, we are pleased to announce the first new faction we’ll be adding to the game. Awakening after 60 million years of slumber, the

Necrons

are coming to

Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector.

Creating a faction for Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector is a significant task. There is a lot of work that goes into creating the highly detailed models and their animations, designing and implementing special abilities, balancing, writing and recording voice-overs, and more.

We are putting the same amount of effort and care into the Necrons as we did for the Blood Angels and Tyranids in the base game. Hopefully, this attention to detail comes through in the images above and below.

The Necron Faction Pack will be a paid DLC. You’ll be able to put Necron armies on the field in skirmish and multiplayer battles… and in a brand new campaign type.

The new campaign type will use an entirely new system. It is a “conquest-style” campaign, in which 3 factions - the Blood Angels, Tyranids and Necrons - battle to eliminate the two other factions from the map.

You’ll capture territory, build your army and battle for control of valuable resources that can turn the tide of war. Each playthrough will be unique and every battle takes place on a procedurally-generated map.
The new campaign type will be a free addition to Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector.

You’ll be able to play as the Blood Angels, the Tyranids, or if you own the Necron Faction Pack, the Necrons. You’ll be able to play against the Necrons whether you own the Necron Faction Pack or not.
We’ll talk more about the setting for the campaign in a future dev diary.

We can’t wait to share these additions with you. We don’t have a release date we can share yet, but we are working hard to ensure both the Necrons and the new “conquest-style” campaign are available in the early months of 2022.

As 2021 comes to a close, we’d like to thank you for supporting the game, and wish you a safe and happy holiday season.

• The Black Lab Games team

All I ask is that the animation speed controls which currently exist and apply to enemy actions be given a toggle to apply to friendly actions. Given that this is functionality which exists currently, it doesn’t seem that big an ask. Without that, this game is dead to me. I tried but I just can’t stand glacial animations in games where I’m constantly moving dudes. It breaks the immersion and enjoyment in a major way.

Black Lab is really great so I’ve little doubt this’ll get implemented as long as folks have asked for it.

I’m glad they chose this sort of campaign as the expansion. Hopefully, it will add delicious longevity.

Yeah people still play Dark Crusade because of this type of campaign to be this day.

I originally passed on this because it only had the linear campaign. A dynamic campaign of this sort is a reason to reconsider that decision and will net them a sale from me as long as the execution is good.

With the coupon on Epic I am going to dive into this!

Only $3 more on GOG, and then you have it DRM-free. (I know, everyone here would rather save a single penny than own anything DRM-free, but just saying)

Honestly my biggest problem with GOG (and EPIC for that matter) is I forget I own games on those platforms. If it’s on Steam, I’ll see it in my backlog list and remember to play it. I kept forgetting about Hades and Griftlands for a long time there, for example.