Warhammer 40K: Darktide (2022) (4-player co-op from Fatshark, the Vermintide devs)

Pretty much, yeah, at least in shooters. I don’t enjoy first person combat enough to keep doing it without something pulling me along, whether it’s a strong story (very rare in shooters) or a progression system. Even outside shooters, the only non-puzzle/adventure game I really play where there isn’t some sort of progression is MSFS - and I’ve given it progression with career add-ons. It doesn’t have to be meta progression - in an RTS or a MOBA you have a power curve within each game, or in a city builder you’re going up the tech tree.

I definitely tend to need some sort of progression in games like this even if it’s insanely rare as to be nearly non-existent.

I played a lot of Vermintide and opening boxes of garbage was enough for me. Because once in a great while I’d actually get something relevant and that was enough. The gameplay kept me playing, but so did progression. And in a game like this you need the progression to push to harder stuff as things become more of a math issue. If you can’t do X damage in Y time frame, you’re getting run over by fodder kinds of issues.

I got weapon upgrades every single mission if that was the issue. the shop also rotates in real time. Equipment increases were fine in power for me. The feats slower, but also with only 5 sets of feats per character if you got them much faster you’d max a character super fast and again, I feel a lot of you would just stop playing if you ever ‘finished’ unlocking stuff.

I totally would. I rarely stick around in endgames. Too many other games to play! Diablo III is the only real exception I can think of, and technically I didn’t finish unlocking stuff there as I only had a couple of Primal weapons when I moved on (and you can’t really finish with seasons anyway).

This will be available on pc gamepass, right? On the 30th or the 17th (beta access)?

gamepass pc, eventually gamepass xbox. preorder and get the earlier access. NO crossplay between steam and the other platforms, eventually full crossplay between MS store and console. I will likely go MS Store for now and Xbox eventually.

Do you know when?

30th for gamepass

Thanks

I picked it up on MS Store, would love to play with some of you.

Cool vid! Too bad the first 2/3rds of it have nothing to do with the game…

I can’t think of a better intro to Warhammer 40,000 than that trailer

firing this up on stream now. hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

I know most people are going to get this on Gamepass, but for those of you who chose to open your wallets, you can join the pre-order beta now if you buy it.

game won’t let me play yet, being stubborn

I was able to do the intro but then work interfered.

How’s the performance? I’ve read bad, if somewhat conflicting, stuff about it.

performance not great but I also have a mediocre system. The prologue and tutorial work fine but then when it’s time for me to play the game proper it does a hot-join-party-hub-failed error without fail. previous beta did the same thing and was never fixed so I am a bit upset.

Ray tracing was costing me around 20fps so I turned that shit right off. Otherwise it’s around 60fps on High with an ultra wide and a 3080.

They added a mouse sensitivity slider, but even at the max it’s still too low for a trackball.