Warhammer 40K: Darktide (2022) (4-player co-op from Fatshark, the Vermintide devs)

I am very confused how someone can think the 15 hours they played was amazing then think they don’t want to play anymore.

Its the lack of advancement - there is nothing besides the gameplay itself left to experience.
Without the carrot of interesting subclasses, new abilities, new weapontypes and so on, the game loses drive and there is little left to drive the player forward.
Its how I feel, and something I’ve commented on early on, even in the previous beta after scant an hours game.
On my templar the first perks I can choose between is a little more armor per hit, or a little more armor if I stand close to my friends, and one last thing, that was so boring that I can’t even remember it.

its really a shame that there isn’t any more customization to this game, especially compared to Fatsharks previous one, which had a ton more slots of equipment upgrades, and as felswoop mention, a ton more classes to have fun with.
I like the gameplay fine, but I’d really like more options on the way on my character.

They are trickling that stuff in and were pretty transparent about that in this early access period. Having said that I still personally have a disconnect in people’s feelings on this. If a game is truly super fun, I don’t understand not playing to enjoy the thing you just had a bunch of fun with.

Would you rather play a game with an amazing gameplay loop and zero progression or would you rather click a few buttons and watch a million things unlock over months of play. It really really feels like people don’t enjoy gameplay anymore.

I do think progression is important and can be fun, but it pales in importance to a fun game for me. I don’t want to kinda have fun with a vast set of customization options. I would much rather have an incredible time with good gameplay and be limited in options.

And thats great! That means this game is probably more for you, than for me :-)

I just wished they had retained more of their previous games large amount of character options. Its not like Warhammer 40K is without options!

I think the core gameplay is great, but as per my comment, the vast majority of people would be better served waiting a year or two for more classes and polish to materialize. I’d rather just play the game when it feels ready for me to sink my teeth into than play a good-but-inferior experience now.

And while progression systems has undeniably melted gamers’ brains, I don’t think it’s too much to ask for having build variety within classes and perk trees that are interesting. Especially when Vermintide 2 did a better job of it.

I have been playing this a bit as a psyiker. I think the class needs some buffs, mainly that the head pop is far too slow and the peril cost for everything is a bit too much.

I am also getting a bit bored of the maps. I will play it a bit more as psyiker, but may change to zealot before I am ‘done’ with the game.

Also in case anyone has crash bugs I can tell you what worked for me (not a single crash since):
Cap the frame rate to 60, turned on VSync, RTX disabled.

I did turn RTX on after no crashes and so far it seems stable, so if the above fixes your crash issues, then you might want to try it with RTX on and see what happens.

I have been playing for a few rounds. Connection issues are terrible. Sometimes you can load into the main hub, go to mission terrminal, hit the button and nothing happens.

Exit game, come back, same thing.

Suvks that the game takes so long to load as well.

Gameplay is great when you can get it but I would recommend against pre-order to get an early jump in this beta hell

So looking at the steam page this goes 1.0 on 11/30/22.

Everything better be fixed by then! :)

I’ll say a bit more to avoid sounding too down on it.

The feeling of melee and ranged combat is pretty much the same as the Vermintides, which is a good thing. The big change is that the game has become more difficult, or maybe complicated is the better word, but mostly in a good way.

In Vermintide, I felt pretty comfortable knowing what to do in combat; I swing my stick to hit melee things and either rush down or shoot special targets. In Darktide, the decision of when and how to engage the enemy feels way more tactically difficult to suss out. Playing as an Ogryn, I figured I should rush down ranged enemies, because, duh, that’s like videogame kindergarten stuff. But that usually ended actually how you’d think bringing a knife to a gunfight would go — with a big, dead Ogryn.

The result is a more tactical feeling game, with a whole new phase of the combat — dealing with a ton of enemy firepower — and more of a cat-and-mouse style of play where you have to make very consequential decisions about how to engage. Teamwork feels even more crucial here than Vermintide, and it’s quite a bit less mindless. I liked being able to slightly turn my brain off in Vermintide, but they’ve made a game that retains enough of what made Vermintide great, while making it more tactical and giving it this whole other dimension that really separated it from Vermintide and other horde-based co-op games.

And the music. My god, it is just so damn good. There’s some problems with the gameplay too, namely that enemies spawn out of doom closets and a confounding amount of the elite enemies have no sound cues. All the giant Ogryn enemies, the Ragers, the snipers, can spawn behind you, give no sound cue, and then instantly kill you. Whereas in Vermintide most enemies are melee, so they would actually have to reach you before doing damage, in Darktide an enemy can pop out of a doom closet and immediately open fire. It can sometimes kill you in a way that you couldn’t have possibly responded to. All characters should probably get flashlights too, since it’s just ridiculous how much of the map will have you bumping around in the dark.

The hub is worse than Vermintide 2, but none of these problems are game-breaking to me, and could be fixed in reasonable time. The lack of classes makes it best to pick up later down the road, though.

Not my words

I don’t expect things to be fixed, hell I might not even be able to log in still by then.

Oops, I shouldn’t have said anything. I’ve started crashing a lot more, nearly every other mission it seems. I updated drivers and tried what DeepT suggested and it hasn’t helped.

Yeah. I was rock solid for like 2 days and suddenly I am crashing a lot, but these crashes are specifically in mission loads (right after I get into the mission proper) and sometimes at game startup.

I didn’t really delve too far into Vermintide. L4D is okay for me. Warhammer fantasy is interesting, but W40k is much more to my liking. However, I look at streams and I worry about limited play variety (classes, weapons, skills), extremely similar environments, and the possibility that my 2080ti is not up to the challenge. I am stuck between looking at friends playing dozens of hours already and a voice in the back of my head whispering “it is not ready.”

I am teetering on a Steam buy, but can’t quite pull the trigger.

Definitely wait till full release. There’s still 9 days of pre-release beta and your friends might burn out by then.

I went back and disabled RTX again, completely, and so far, not a single crash after 5 matches. I do not know if this is just luck or with my limited frame-rate of 60 that it is somewhat stable.

Also for the record, I can’t tell the difference between RTX on and off.

I use a 2070 at 1440p on medium settings. The framerate’s fine and the game looks good too

I imagine the game proper will have more classes, Vermintide 2 launched with several classes per character, and more were added as DLC later.

I think at least 4 characters, 3 classes per character was the initial offering.

some people with the same error as me have been able to get in by using a VPN which is kinda absurd. Others just by changing their DNS server, some from one to the other and other people the exact opposite server switch. what a cluster-F

I’m reminded of the days of setting tcp/ip ports to play games.

I’ve had to do that every year for CoD on console. To get two consoles to both have open NAT is a nightmare that shouldn’t exist.