Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Left 4 Chaos

That’s priceless!

We are talking of people who played 300 hours or 400 hours. For them the first 50-55 hours (which is where most of the progression happens, less if you focus on fewer classes) it’s like the intro.

Some classes always won the “meter” game at higher levels anyways.

Yeah, I don’t buy into the meters thing. Bad players are players that don’t stick together as a team, don’t understand the level, run by grims and tomes, and always go down.

If you can avoid doing that, I don’t care how many or few kills we have at the end.

That’s exactly my point with classes undermining that friendly competition. It’s asymmetric at that point.

I agree with randos, but I’m talking about friends who know how to stick together, cooperate and communicate and get through levels with tomes and grimoires already. The stats are fun to pour over and trash talk about but they’re also useful at showing you if you’re not pulling your weight. If one of my friends is consistently taking less damage, dealing more damage, reviving more etc. then I need to up my game. It’s score chasing. Think Gimli and Legolas. You can’t really measure up when someone has higher level gear and/or a class that excels at higher levels.

As I said before, I don’t expect most folk to be bothered about this but it was one of my favourite things in L4D and the flat nature of it played into that.

I feel like playing a round or two of this tonight on PC, so if anyone wants to join, pm me on steam.

Thanks for the two rounds @Balasarius , I now have 2 characters over level 15.

Its fun game in spurts, but all the frantic slashing strains my eyes after awhile.

It was fun. :) Yeah, Vermintide 2 used to cause me eye-strain as well. It stopped and I’m not sure if it was something I did with the graphics settings or my eyes got better.

(When it came out in March 2018, that was about four months after my ICL surgery, so my eyes were still adjusting. They had to give me monovision, so it took around nine months for my brain to adjust.)

But the first thing I noticed at launch was how washed-out everything looked and how difficult it was to pick out the ratties from the background. Like the bloom was too high or something. I managed to get that under control after a lot of graphical tweaking. Here are my settings if anyone cares -

37GB update today as as the first expansion Winds of Magic is available to play for pre-orders. It officially drops on August 13 for $20.

New video -

And wow are people mad about it.

I fired the base game up briefly last night to see what all the fuss was about and the combat felt… the same. No idea about the DLC itself because I haven’t picked it up yet.

The whole “if you pre-order you can play now, but it comes out on the 13th,” seems odd.
Because, you can pre-order right now. So it’s… basically out right now. If you wait till the 13th you waited. But you could’ve been playing, you just weren’t.

I forgot how fun this game can be.
I also forgot how annoying it can be if one person thinks the whole thing is speed run when everyone else is just trying to play the game. I get it, you have 1300 hours in the game, but we’re on Champion with a level 15 dude in maps that are obviously new to most of us, so maybe chill a bit and let people have fun.

I wouldn’t play Champion until everyone is level 25, if you are playing with friends.

I wasn’t. Let me lay out the scenario:

I hit Quick Play, no one is really on, it makes me Host. So I start going through my inventory/quests and sorting that crap out. Dude joins. It’s just me and him. While I’m in various screen he starts pushing me to the gate. Slowly, but he doesn’t stop. Eventually Person 3 joins. We have a 32 (me), 34 (him) and a 26 (new guy). I keep doing inventory stuff, he keeps pushing me to the gate.

After a minute or so I figure fuck it, lets go then. We go in with a Bot because #2 can’t wait. He proceeds to run as fast as possible past everything miles ahead of the rest of us. We fight some waves and during that time another person gets added, who is level 15. He keeps running ahead, both #3 and #4 get rat hooked behind us (after we went down a ledge so we couldn’t rescue them). So it’s me and him vs the world while he tries to get a book. Eventually we get the stupid book and rescue everyone, but we later die because he’s, again, a mile ahead of everyone else. We were doing alright, but he just runs off so it’s basically a 3 player game with one under levelled person.

We get to the end but I die trying to fire the cannon because he’s off doing god-knows-what while I fight 30 dudes alone (everyone else dropped during the mad run with the cannon ball). So we start a new map, repeat him running ahead of everyone and spamming “come here” to try to get all the books and grims, even though he then leaves the grim holder to die because he has to run ahead. At one point me and him have to fight a Rat Ogre with just us, which we do very successfully.

In the end we lose because a big force rushes us in a small room. What is he doing? Literally standing under the stairs watching us while we try to fight 2 Chosen and a Ratling gunner in a tiny room. He isn’t doing anything. It’s me and #3 barely holding out before the Chosen finally overwhelm us. Then he berates everyone for not being good enough or whatever. Everyone leaves. I leave because fuck that guy.

He was the worst, but he wasn’t unique. Every 3rd Quick Play has a guy like this generally. This particular guy had 1293 hours in the game. He almost never fought unless forced to, it was just a race from grim to book while we’re trying to play the game and then he gets annoyed that we want to play a game.

Edit: Also the Grim experts need to like… let people get the easy Grims. Every single time they grab the easy one, then the impossible jump puzzle one they can do, well they already have a Grim, so now we have to try to do this thing we’ve never done before while they stand there being annoyed at us. Maybe let someone else grab the super easy one and you can use your leet skills to get the one that’s a giant pain in the ass. But no. They always grab the easy one because it’s a race. Then we spend 5 minutes dicking around while they stand on the hard-to-get Grim they got to in 5 seconds.

Anyone try the winds of magic?

Reviews and comments seem to say its a bit overpriced for what is being offered. And its all in all not that great?

Be wary of Steam reviews, they’re always people complaining everything isn’t free.

That said, I have no idea how good it is.

All I’ve heard is complaints, and it’s not from the cost of DLC or anything, just the changes they made in the patch. Always hard to judge given that people really hate change, but lots of complaints of them “ruining” the combat. It also sounds like the progression you get in the expansion areas is separate from the regular game, and what you earn there doesn’t carry over? If so, I don’t care much for that.

Most of the meat of the expansion is in the ‘wind of magic’ system, which is a bit different than I imagined. It doesn’t apply to the current selection of maps, as new ways of playing them, but instead it’s a set list of 45 challenges or so, which are a smaller, remixed section of the old maps, with a wind effect (say, thunders strike random locations, or corps generate a damaging bush you have to avoid) applied.
They don’t support bots unlike the normal maps, nor they have difficulty modes (the first challenges are easy, and as you progress in the forty-something list they turn harder), which makes them hard to play if you don’t have a friend group in the game.
They also have their own progression system, so the loot and progress in them can’t be applied to the normal game (nor viceversa). And it seems they are going to do ‘seasons’, meaning the progress will reset every x time.

Free update/dlc: