Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Left 4 Chaos

Just got this. This is tough. I think I’m about 60/40 in getting to the end vs getting wiped.

Interesting that most teams (I’m playing with my son and two randoms) stick together, even after a loss.

I can only take about 60-90 minutes of playing before needing to take a break. It’s pretty intense.

I’ll have time later this week to play more, is anyone still leveling up or did you all max out all the characters already?

Or are you all playing pirate in that other game? :p

I’m only level 16, but yesterday I finally managed to beat the last two levels. I had been stuck on that Bumblespue guy for a while. Failed it like ten times for various reasons. Finally had some luck with randos and managed to beat the boss fight. Beat the final mission on the first try.

Feeling like I might start experimenting with different characters now. I’ve only played Witch Hunter/Bounty Hunter so far.

I’m still working on getting all the characters to level 6 so I can figure out which I want to play main on for a while. So yes, I still have a long long way to go.

Might wanna hit 7 so you unlock another subclass at least.

Hit level 8, tried veteran. I don’t know, I feel I am missing something fundamental because I just feel I lack the basic skills to stay alive long enough to do any good. I suck at blocking, dodge doesn’t seem to do anything besides a simple straffe, I seem to get hit from every direction - I just don’t have eyes in the back of my head.

One thing is I simply do not understand the crafting mechanic AT ALL. I have salvaged a few things, but I don’t even have the mats to do anything and not even sure it’s worth it.

Finding a guide on this game that is useful is also another frustration point. Too many guides that speak nothing to me. Probably b/c I never played Vermintide 1.

I might give it a few more tries, but right now I’m about to chalk to this one up to bad purchase decision for me.

Too bad b/c I played the hell out of L4D/L4D2 etc and thought this might work.

It really depends on the character and class. And weapon. Because the amount of reach you have can really dictate how fights play out. Also some characters are better at dodging.

Usually a safe move is attack a few times, then dodge backwards. As long as the enemy doesn’t have a pole arm or similar long reach attack you’ll be fine. Just keep attacking and giving ground.

Now if you’re getting hit from behind… you’re either way to far forward or your teammates aren’t covering your back. With some characters you’ll just melt if that happens (elf and witch hunter tend to be extra vulnerable to it), but even the tankiest characters tend to get wrecked in those situations.

As far as crafting, you go to page 2, pick the Type of thing you want, then hit craft. It will make a random item, white, green or blue. When it comes to the higher end crafts you’re looking to upgrade something good you already have. Either changing it’s traits or upgrading it to your level. I haven’t done that much so I’m not sure if it keeps it’s traits or rerolls them.

Veteran can be a bit rough under level 10ish since you tend to lack your talents that might make things a lot easier, especially if your Power is under 200. Above 200 it’s mostly fine regardless of level imo, but you will tend to lack good blues and the like on weapons for a bit (which you usually need to get from Veteran anyway).

Or maybe, as you said, it’s not your thing. I’ve also found it hard as hell to find info online about things.

As far as a personal rant of my own. Playing Veteran I’m getting real tired of people who want to get all the Grimoires (dear Chrome that is a word) but have zero curse resist. If we aren’t absolutely dominating we just end up losing. Want Grims? Get some fucking curse resist so you aren’t down like 80% of your health all the time, cause we’re not beating the boss at the end of this thing when 3 of us die in 2 hits to a skavenslave.

You can upgrade to a higher color, but you cannot change the power level. Get a high level green? Upgrade it to a blue, or blue to orange.

For your first time going through the power levels, you should wait to do Veteran until around 15, and then Champion around 25. Once you have power level 100 items, you can start doing Veteran a bit lower on your other chars, and 200 for Champion. Unless you’re just awesome, of course.

Thanks for replying. I’m playing Witch Hunter, currently level 8, so barely alive. Probably should have stayed away from Veteran. With Recruit I was doing OK.

Not sure what power level means? Where is that at?

I have like 4 green things. Everything else is white. I have a LOT Of white things.

When you look at a weapon that says “power 56” and another weapon has “power 48” but is green and has “8.5% more damage against skaven”, I’m guessing the power 48 is actually better?

Does power on weapons mean anything?

I’m getting hit from behind as I’m typically the last guy in the line and trying to watch our backs but also trying to tag all the elites so they get extra damage. At least that’s what I think I am doing when tagging. But just when I’m trying to keep up with the group in front, and not looking back, is when I get whacked, which slows me down even more.

My power seems so short lived & so hard to build up. It knocks a few things down, or stuns things momentarily but then it takes what seems forever to build up again.

I’m currently using a flail and a repeater pistol (at level 5 I took the extra ammo). The flail seems better than the long sword or axe. I’ve only gotten a few axes, but the green flail was recent - but it is no longer the thing with the most power - but it’s green and has a modifier, so guessing it’s ok? Not sure when to switch.

Your power is your (char level * 10) + (average power level of your five items). (The Power tooltip on your character sheet will tell you this.) So it goes up by 10 every time you level. The power level of the items you get from loot boxes slowly climbs based on the highest power level item you’ve seen across all your characters, and averages about 1-1.5 power per loot box. It took a long time for me to start getting power level 300 items. Remember recruit loot boxes are capped at power 100, Veteran 200, but level-up loot boxes are capped at 300, the max. You will want to save most of them until you’re getting power level 200 items from Veteran boxes.

Back to your question, yes the lower power item with the +damage % is probably slightly better since it’s already being averaged with four other items. And Skaven are common. If it was +% vs., say, Berserkers, I’d probably use the higher power item without the damage bonus because Berserkers are relatively rare, only a couple per level. That +% is a range. Pressing shift will show you how well you “rolled” on the range. This is why sometimes you’ll want to re-roll your traits – you get a nice item, but you rolled poorly on the percentages.

Also trinkets are shared by all characters, so once you get a decent stable of blues/oranges you can go into Veteran earlier with other characters since you’ll pass 200 power with them alone in my experience.

I’d say don’t hit Veteran till you’re 200 Power most of the time.

As far as playing the Witch Hunter, you need to dodge back a lot. Dodge to the side if you need to but back tends to do better. Always be moving, even if you’re attacking moving back and forth tends to dodge a fair number of attacks from groups. I personally don’t care much for any of his weapons other than the rapier. That strong attack into the face of an enemy is amazing, but the rest feel too slow and short range for his style of play, though I haven’t changed it up in a while.

Sounds like a rapier might be a better fit for you than the flail. It doesn’t slow you down as you swing your weapon, more stamina, decent stagger, better dodge, and you can hold block and walk at close to full speed. The flail has better cleave, better anti-armor and ignores shields, but you need to wrestle with the moveset to achieve all of that (against hordes, 1-2 attack and then block cancel to reset moves, against armor you’ll want to 1-2 hit trash rats and then hit the armored guys with the 3-4 overhead attacks, same for shields.)

The falchion is my preferred weapon, but I remember disliking it until I reached higher hero power. It has better killing power than the rapier (unless you are very good at headshots) but it’s slower, so you have to dance more to make sure you don’t engage too many at once.

Witch Hunter Captain is sort of disappointing, Saltz gets a bit better with Zealot at level 12, and Bounty Hunter becomes awesome at level 15. Maybe give Kruber or Bardin a try.

Kruber with a halberd is pretty amazingly fun imo.

You can get the gist of combat with that extra reach and he can take a few hits. Doesn’t help you dodge much, but sounds like that might not be your thing. If you want to stick with Witch Hunter I would say try rapier and get good at weaving around the fight and strong attacking people, it’s pretty damned effective, though if you get surrounded you’ll die in short order. At least your ult can help a bit there.

How is the population - can one still play this, if one is a total newcomer, or is everyone level 100 and making fun of newbies? I’m rather tempted, but was going to wait for some console release, but - who knows when that will be!

That is true - sorry for missing your reply earlier.

Population is much better than V1, it’s in the top 10 on steam concurrent players at various times of the day (not right now though.) I see plenty of games at all difficulties, so you should be fine.

Kruber is my favorite character, by far.

Awesome - I’ll get this as soon as I’m done with Far Cry 5, and Shroud of the Avatar, and Rift Prime…oh…!

Any tips for playing Sienna? I’m playing as the unchained and seem to fall into blowup loops.

Play as the Pyromancer instead. Use your Ult often. It’s fun.