WARNO - The RTS Formerly Known As Wargame 4

Have you played any of the Wargame or Steel Division games? I imagine it is close to the same as far as zooming capabilities.

Yes the older wargame series. I always felt way too detached from the action.

If you felt too detached in the Wargame series I think you’ll feel the same way here. It’s just the latest iteration of the series.

I think the “one-unit = one-vehicle” used here and in Steel Divisions does help make the action feel a little more visceral and helps me feel more attached to my troops then the “one-unit = a platoon of vehicles” approach originally used in the Wargame series.

Its both.

Yes, you can zoom right in and see all the units doing their things. I do it from time to time, and its really cool. But you really can’t play when zoomed in like that as you need to be zoomed out to keep control over all your units. To zoom in you really need to be paused or running at a very slow speed…otherwise the game can get away from you.

When playing I keep the zoon set so I can see ~30-50% of the map (depending on map size), but will zoom in a bit more when I need to be more precise in some unit positioning. At that zoom level the tanks are smallish dots.

I actually find that for both Steel Divisions/Wargame and the Total War series, replays are the best way to really get a beautiful look at all the units. You can’t really focus on individual unit action during the actual game, since as @eliandi points out, that’s a good way to lose the skirmish. But if you play a battle and really liked it, save it as a replay and then play it at slow speed.

I purchased WARNO back when they had the initial release discount, but have been waiting for it to get more mature before really giving it a go. I fired up WARNO and while there is a Save Replay option, I couldn’t get it to work. I’m not sure WARNO has replays currently available (and I was just doing something wrong, I only played about 30 seconds of a skirmish before quiting, so it might have been unhappy with that), but Steel Division and the Wargame series both had replays, so I assume if they aren’t currently working in WARNO, they will get added at some point.

Steel Divisions lets you speed up or slow down replays down to 1/5th actual speed, so you can really zoom in and get a real good look at the action during replays.

I just thought of something because jpinard mentioned Combat Mission in a different thread. In Combat Mission, I remember the battle size being around company sized (maybe a bit larger) on a similarly small map.

A typically 1 vs 1 game in WARNO starts at ~battalion sized opponents but with significant reinforcements received over time such that you could see close to regiment size on the field. When you are controlling that many units, you really can’t zoom and play.

BUT, when you are setting up the skirmish you have choice over the initial points and of reinforcements (including zero reinforcements). So you could absolutely limit starting funds to keep units to ~company size per side. And you could limit reinforcements to zero or near zero.

But the map size would be big relative to the number of units. But that may not be a problem, but actually a feature for you. I know I already play the AI with the starting funds and reinforcements at about 50%. I think the normal values just result in a burly brawl vs what I think is realistic unit density.

Excellent idea. And yes I really liked the map size and unit level of Combat Mission.

Warno has had many of updates since this thread was last updated. Some things of note

1. More units: French, British, airborne, towed weapons, etc. Basically much more variety
  2. Redone morale system…before units would fight to the death and rarely break. Now breaking enemy morale and keeping your own is a big deal
  3. Added different unit characteristics to reflect training and equipment, or a lack there-of. This allowed them to accuratly represent high-end units like Rangers, Spetnaz, etc that have high morale, or deliver more shock then they fight, or can hide/scout-recon really well. Or alternatively back line units forced into combat and they kinda suck

I really do not understand why they remain Early Access. The game is pretty bug free, and lots of stuff to do. I think they just want to get the campaign engine working.

I am playing a heck of a battle right now against the AI. Usually one side or the other establishes some level of dominance relatively early, but this game completely stalemated with neither side able to gain ground. What that meant is both sides started running out of units.

For me the first to run out was my supply units. So I had to tell my artillery units to stop firing offensively and only fire counterbattery to save shells. I had to pull my attack helo’s and missile-based tank destroyers back and use them conservatively and save their precious missiles. The AI was also suffering as it used a bomber to try to take out some of my helos (a mission better suited to a fighter). I’ve clawed a points advantage now, but its really a race against both points but also running out of units. I’m almost out of tanks, and the infantry isn’t far behind. I’m also out of fighters, so if really pressed I might be in the same pickle as the AI.

I loved the earlier Wargame entires, and I’ve been waiting for WARNO to add the campaigns before jumping in. Any word on when the first campaigns will be available?

They had a DevBlog post on campaigns on March 3. The short answer is they are working on it, but it will take time and they did not provide an ETA.

The longer answer is they plan to make it bigger and more comprehensive of what was done in SD2 (or any of the Wargames). They are planning one focused on the Fulda/Frankfurt corridor, and another on Kassel/Paderboen, and then 2 or more other campaigns in other areas/theaters.

The did say they plan to release 2 detailed, scripted single scenarios soon. One involving the desperate/suicidal mission the US 11th ACR had as the first unit on the front line on the Fulda Gap. This is played only from US/NATO side. The 2nd is leading the Soviet 79th Guards Tank Division as it pushes to Frankfurt.

I really enjoyed AirLand Battle but these games are just too fast for me these days. I don’t enjoy the time/attention management pressure of RTS anymore. Is there a way to play at reduced speeds in MP?

Unlike the older Wargame title, Steel Division, SD2, and Warno all allow pausing and game speed changes. I plan SP only, so I change the game speed all the time. When I was new, I ran the game very slow and paused all the time. Now I basically run it on normal speed but pause when I need to call up new units and maybe run a bit slower when there is some high stakes fighting going on (both so I can watch the action but also give orders)

If you are talking about MP, I do not know how it works or the ettiquette there.

I’m speaking of MP. In ALB I don’t recall being able to slow down time (although I think you could pause? It’s been a long time). I’m not a fan of constant pausing, but I do like being able to slow time when there’s a lot of action going on. I’d just be playing with friends instead of pubs, so etiquette should be sorted.

I have WARNO although it’s not installed, so I should be able to verify myself later either way. Just hoping you or someone knew offhand and I could skip the trouble. :)

Let me know how it goes Kevin, I’m curious

I played a lot of Wargame Red Dragon SP using the pause and slow speed functions. Not only did it allow me to be more tactical and less worried about APS, but it also enabled zooming in and really enjoying the gorgeous graphics. I expect WARNO will work the same way.

I don’t play these games in singleplayer, so it’s the MP side I’m unsure of. My recollection (which may be wrong) is the same options weren’t available in multiplayer. I might be mixing it up with another game, though!

I couldn’t find the answer to my question via Google but I’m home now and reinstalled the game to satisfy my curiosity. For anyone else who might wonder, speed controls do NOT appear to be available in MP. Including Pause.

MP game (with bots only):

SP skirmish game:

Unfortunately for me, that means the game is just way way too fast for me. :( Ah well!

How is this game for a single player only gamer? Is there enough content (and competent AI) to justify the price?

As noted, I only play SP.

I very much enjoy the Cold War period as I grew up in it. I actually started with the Wargame series which was not very SP friendly, then moved to Steel Division and now Warno.

I like you can command individual tanks and other units, and the work overall like in the real world. There are more units than you would believe. US, USSR, both Germany’s, UK, France and they are working on more. Unit types are everything from MPs to Spetsnaz, or T55s to T80s. The different Divisions play very differently and have advantages/disadvantages on different maps. A Con in this area is the developer overall tends towards realism, but makes allowances for the “game”.
Example: Weapon ranges are far to short for many things, and movement speed (except for aircraft) is much too high.

The graphics are very good, and you can zoom down and watch the action up close but spend most of your time zoomed out to see the overall battlefield.

The AI is competent. It will use cover. It will use combined arms. It is very good with arty. When I first started it kicked my butt. But it can be predictable, and its bad about units like very valuable tanks/helos getting too far ahead of their support units.

So as I said I play SP. I’ll create a skirmish with units I find interesting, typically with me controlling 1 division on a team with say 2-3 AI Divisions against 3-4 enemy AI Divisions. My most recent I had the French 11e French paratroop division. Now this division has really good infantry, but really really bad armor. My initial sector on the map had far too much open space so I had to try to find key choke points (cities, key roads in forests) where my infantry could hide/survive but also hit the enemy. I also had to be aggressive in using my attack helos. Conversely if I had say the US 3rd Armor with M1’s and Bradleys I would have done better in the more open areas, but would have had to be very careful of the choke points or hidden ATGMs with my very expensive units.