Way too early - Possible 2020 Democratic Candidates

Do you run this through some converter every time you post it? I feel like the quality gets worse every time.

Another thing to note here, is that the idea that abortion should be unrestricted is not a popular view in America.

According to this polling:

A full 50% of the population thinks that abortion should only be legal in some circumstances. Only 29% think it should be unrestricted (and 18% thinking it should never be legal).

Often, the idea of any kind of restriction is played off as some kind of slippery slope, and then argued that “this is secretly ultra conservative, because they want to lead to a total ban!” but that’s not a legitimate argument. It’s basically the same kind of argument used against common sense gun control.

Very true, Timex. His personal views are far more conservative than the policy he’s overseen. That said, he’s also signed into law a prohibition against abortions due to Down Syndrome, regardless of term (it’s been put on hold while a lawsuit is determining its constitutionality).

As if on cue:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/03/29/fake-kirsten-gillibrand-flap-reveals-double-standard-in-our-politics/?utm_term=.056745725a49

Here are the details: more than ten years ago, Gillibrand’s father, attorney and lobbyist Doug Rutnik, worked very briefly with Nxivm (that’s pronounced nex-ee-um, if you are wondering), a marketing and life-and-work seminars organization that experts generally refer to as a cult. Rutnik spent a few months doing legal and lobbying work for the company and then quit.

Nxivm co-founder and head Keith Raniere was arrested by federal authorities Monday. He is accused of running a sex slavery ring within the group. The feds allege female “slaves” not only needed to, er, service Raniere, but that a number were branded with his initials in public ceremonies. Smallville actress Allison Mack is involved, as are Sara and Clare Bronfman , the daughters of the late Canadian multimillionaire businessman Edgar Bronfman, Sr.

Now some Republicans are trying to link Gillibrand to this story. Earlier this week, Chele Farley, the little-known Republican running against Gillibrand in the November elections, stepped forward to demand Gillibrand answer for the scandal.

Then the “scandal” began to pick up traction in the right-wing media. And then then Slate – progressive Slate! — jumped on it as well, with story entitled: “The Only (Alleged) Sex-Slave Cult Story You Need to Understand Kirsten Gillibrand’s Weakness as a 2020 Candidate.”

The Slate story claimed that while the junior New York Senator promotes herself as a “bold, next-generation progressive,” her father did once represent this group. Slate argued that this highlights the fact that her political career features ties to such establishment figures as New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton

Jesus Fucking Christ (JFC).

Maybe Discourse is on to something.

Actually, it took a bit of time to understand what you typed.

Maybe discourse is right to discourage short answers.

Wut?

Yes45

It took me too long to realize that all @arrendek typed was Jesus Fucking Christ. Now, it’s probably because I am still recovering from an awful stomach flu, and both tired, sore and in pain, but it was truly annoying to spend any time figuring it out, especially if he had the time and inclination to complain about discourses character requirements.

For the sake of us sick readers, I implore you to take the time and expand a bit and not just leave acronyms. Especially something as uncommon as JFC (at least I haven’t encounter it before, but then I am well under the medium age of the average QT3 forum goer, which is 80 or so, I think). Anyway, it’s the little things that help us not be Reddit.

Edited.

For the sick and old.

:)

I guess you don’t frequent Reddit. :) This new kid’s text thing is second nature to me. @arrendek is just a kid. Sorry to hear that you’re under the weather, get well soon.

Much appreciated. My recent frailty has made me appreciate those who have it more difficult in life. Whether this new found empathy sticks, I do not know.

Back in my day, we used LoL and WTF. Things have changed so much.

Laugh out loud, not league of legends.

League of what?

These damn kids keep going off topic.

Says the guy that drinks tea angrily…

I do everything angrily, that’s the trick.

… Actually it’s from this gif when I posted it after being labeled “Doesn’t post gifs in the gif thread”.

GWS, LW!

I realize that none of you folks seem to care, but it is looking almost assured that the Governor of Colorado, John Hickenlooper, will be attempting to run in 2020.

Hick is pretty much the Dems version of Kasich… but he hasn’t pulled the same type of headlines.

When asked about creating a unity ticket with Kasich (they are close friends) on Stephanie Rhule’s show, he said that it probably wouldn’t happen because ‘they disagreed on too many important positions’.

Hickenlooper has been extremely popular in Colorado - and has been generally moderate. Done a fair job balancing the needs of Oil and Gas with the environment and climate change in our state. Was murdered by the GOP for signing into law banning high capacity magazines.

Was anti-marijuana legalization, but very very much advocated the will of the voters in the state, and has implemented arguably the most successful legalization effort of any of the states that have legalized thus far. Has even tried to protect the industry with federal outreach - again despite being opposed to legalization in the first place.

He took a very unpopular position the state by staying the execution of Nathan Dunlap - a murderer who killed 4 people at a Chuck E Cheese in 1993. Hick is very much anti capital punishment, and he took a lot of heat for that decision, but left this comment “It is a legitimate question whether we as a state should be taking lives.”

He graduated from Wesleyan with a bachelors in English, and then received a master in Geology. He worked as a geologist for Oil and Gas, before starting a local, popular brewery (Wynkoop Brewery in 1988, well before the craft craze) after getting laid off during an O&G downturn.

He has been at the helm while Colorado’s economy has grown to a powerhouse, but he is very fiscally responsible - focusing on extending some tax credits and building up a reserve fun. It should be noted that Colorado has a constitutional amendment that doesn’t allow the legislature to really raise taxes (horrible thing for our state, btw - but conservatives love it)

Focused on more modern crime prevention methods - doesn’t agree with minimum sentences and focuses very much on mental health

Like most Governors who run for President, he is going to have a weakness on foreign policy.

Judging by the lack of comments about him in my previous posts, my guess is that people aren’t too interested in him nationally. Not sure how he will change that, but he would make a really excellent President imo. I personally feel like a western governor from a purple state has a pulse on both the libertarian trends in the country and the progressive trends, and he has done a generally good job of balancing and compromising on those issues.