Wednesday - Addams Family, Netflix

We are about half-way in, and enjoying it quite a bit.

Jenna Ortega, obviously, steals the show. Her roomie is also fantastic. Gwendolyn Christie is also very good.

The rest of the cast is kinda meh, the story so so, but the whole thing comes together in a way that is fantastic.

Also, Thing is FANTASTIC.

A few nice throw-backs I’ve seen:

• When Wednesday snaps twice to get into the secret passage, it’s in the same cadence as the original theme
  • She rings a bell in the coffee shop, and Tyler comes out and says “You Rang”

I also agree that Thing steals the show. The story ideas around that lil hand are fun and new. I’ve seen quite a few throw backs as well and they were all pretty fun. Wednesday pretty much speaks entirely in little Wednesday quips and most of them land. There is a great scene at the school dance that is a huge throw back to the original. Make sure you google the Wednesday dance after you see it =)

It’s not without its flaws, but I loved this. Wonderful shot of nostalgia, all the key actors were good, and it was cool to see Christina Ricci (who I totally had a crush on as a kid) on the screen again. So many great scenes.

Didn’t like Morticia and Gomez, but Thing and Fester were excellent, Pugsley was OK, and Ortega is just brilliant as Wednesday.

Pugsley reminds me a lot of Raul Julia overall.

Settled in to watch one or two episodes of this last night. Watched all 8. Yeah there are some not great bits but clearly I enjoyed it.

It was decently good, enough to be enjoyable. Better for those like this style of dark humor. Somewhere in the 6 to 7 range on the true 1 to 10 scale. Like a lot of streaming shows, I felt it had some pacing issues. Would probably have been better as 6 episodes instead of 8. But overall, enjoyable.

On further reflection, the scene that sticks in my mind is Jenna Ortega’s absolutely bonkers dance routine at the Rave’n dance. That was just a whole vibe.

The dance scene was incredible. Though I really wish she briefly did the female undead goth dance from WoW (which, like all WoW dances, was stolen / borrowed from somewhere else). Alas.

I did find it a bit odd that despite all her efforts to push everyone away from her, she completely failed and instead attracted everyone to her. Guess she had a CHA of 18.

I was really disappointed for her that first kiss turned out the way it did.

Re: the so-far unannounced season 2 from Forbes -

Great review and spot on. Jenny Ortega has a shocking amount of charisma for playing a girl with no emotions. Surprise break out hit for Netflix. Doubt it costs them all that much. Got to give them credit for marketing the show well though.

It’s really amazing to compare this to Rob Zombie’s The Munsters movie.

I think she does a great job with the deadpan delivery but still suggesting underlying emotional turmoil. Particularly when others are going on about how she doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her.

I love those Wednesday zingers.

“How do you manage to find yourself in the center of every terrible thing that happens around here?”

“Incredible luck.”

I rewatched Wednesday scenes from the two movies with Christina Ricci and damn, she was equally fantastic.

She doesn’t blink…like her eyes don’t blink. Rarely, but I think it’s accidentally. As in, they did the ‘Jenna don’t blink when the camera is on’, on purpose. It’s a little bit weirder when you notice it.

She definitely doesn’t blink.
Jenna Ortega explains why Wednesday Addams doesn’t blink in the Netflix show - PopBuzz

Ricci was really the breakout star of those movies. The second movie put her front and center (together with Fester), purely because of her show-stealing in the first.

Ortega totally makes this role her own, though. Hope we get another couple of seasons of this.

It ended up being pretty predictable and relying on the same old teen stereotypes, but this was still about the most fun I’ve had with a TV show in ages!

The show manages to walk that line between too much and not enough, for me at least. It avoids typical YA tropes mostly, and when it dips into that territory it does so on the more universalist side rather than thee specific to 16 year old viewers side. While some of the plot points were in fact predictable, that did not bother me, because certain things had to happen or I would have been bummed.

I enjoyed this show, now I’m trying to convince my students to watch Veronica Mars for a similar vibe.

I love your movies, AlanSmithee.

I normally avoid teen-drama movies, with the inevitable love triangles, cliques and other nonsense I’m way too old to care for. This was awesome, though. It had all those elements, they didn’t bother me at all, and Jenna Ortega is awesome.

Can’t wait for season 2.