Weekend gaming 03/09/2012

Ayup ;-)

I’m in between jobs, so I look at it like I have a 5 day weekend. Going to play The Saboteur which I have from Gamefly. Also going to try to knock out some backlog and send them to Amazon for some credit. Backlog seems to be Alone in the Dark, condemned 2, and assorted others.

HELP ME!!!

I’m disgusted with myself. Backlog is ridiculous and I just don’t know where to begin. There’s Skyrim which I haven’t touched in a month, for fear of getting hooked again and playing for hours at a time and not having time for other things.

I got 10 games for the PSP in the last 6 weeks, in addition to 8 PSOne classics downloaded in the last 6 months that I haven’t even touched. I have a ton of DS games as well (Strange Journey, x-mas present from 2 years ago, only about 10 hours played, DQ IX, father’s day present last year, only about 15 hours played, still have only messed around with GTA Chinatown Wars and I bought it on RELEASE DAY!)

Have about 10 Xbox 360 games I’ve barely touched. Want to finish ME2 which I did play a lot for a bit, so I can start ME3. Add to that the 7 or 8 GOG games I’ve gotten in the last 2 months plus I got Torchlight and World Of Goo from some of the fine folks here who had extra copies and sadly haven’t found time to play them much.

Maybe I should quit gaming!

Dude, don’t quit, just play a bit of each. ;-)

Wait a minute – you are surrounded by awesome games and that’s the conclusion you reached?

You know what you have to do.

Assume the position and do not leave until you have finished something!

I shouldn’t be doing any gaming at all this weekend, but as a reward to myself I started up a game of Chaos Gate, the turn-based tactical Warhammer 40k game. And I’ve gotta say - how amazing is this thing? I may have to start a separate thread. I could just sit here all night and listen to the music and click on inventory buttons. Ok I need to go capture this RELIC from a CULTIST TEMPLE!

I’m invested in Skyrim but have not played in a week or two; probably should advance that a bit.

But I’ve also purchased some new games like Dead Island and Football Manager 2012 that I have not cracked yet.

Hmm. Decisions. But this is a bachelor weekend for me so ‘sky’s the limit’. Don’t cry for me.

I’ve been enjoying NecroVision: Lost Company quite a lot lately, so I’ll probably be doing more of that. I’ve owned it for over a year now, but something finally clicked, and I’m having a lot of fun.
Only bad thing: I play FPS games with inverted mouse, and this game of course supports that, EXCEPT for the stupid Fly The Airplane level, which is tough as nails, and does NOT support the inverted mouse. Even going into the mouse settings and un-checking it makes no difference. I made it through, but it was a bitch, and required every once of determination on my part to fight my instincts, which have been pretty well ingrained after 19 years of playing FPS games and flight sims.

I will probably finish up Still Life 2. I heard nothing but bad things about it so I didn’t give it a chance after loving the first game. It’s definitely a step down from the original in every regard, yet I’ve been casually enjoying it. They really screwed up when it came to the puzzles though. I remember the puzzles in the first game being mostly self-contained which I loved. In the second game it’s mostly: find an item to use on an item to get an item to use on the item to combine with another item and use on a item.

Staying in sick, so it will be Mass Effect 3 all weekend for me.

In Iracing, I’ll probably be rammed into by spinning rookies until I can’t stand it anymore. After that I’ll blow off some steam with Under Defeat HD and play some more Catherine. Oh yeah, during the daytime I’ll sneak in as many games of Gridrunner on iOs as humanly possible. Christ, I sound like the most irritating gaming hipster ever.

I’m currently playing Wizardry 8, some Age of Empires II coop and Etrian Odyssey on my DS.

Wizardry 8 gets a little tedious with the endless random encounters and I’m not a big fan of the slightly goofy scenario. But it’s the last game of its kind, (western) first person party rpgs - which I love - and I have been meaning to play it for a long time now. Perhaps I will post my party setup later in the Wizardry 8 thread.

Age of Empires II - I play it all the time with a friend against the modded AIs. The game is still awesome, after all these years. It still looks good with a high resolution patch.

Etrian Odyssey - I have played this on and off over the course since its release, but it isn’t a very good game in my opinion. It’s too slow and grindy but I like first person rpgs as mentioned earlier, so I want to finish it someday. Unfortunately it takes ages to get anywhere. I recently swapped a ranger out of my party for a 2nd alchemist because I figured I need the damage output. Now I have to level him from level 1 which takes ages again.

For some reason the planning bot at my job has given me 5 consecutive days off to binge hard on mass effect 3 which i’m dutifully doing.

Last night I played and finished Journey (it took about 90 minutes, I think, maybe two hours) and it is sublime. In fact, it was so good that I’m not going to try to describe it. Suffice it to say it’s easily one of the best games I’ve played this year.

Mostly playing Hero Academy. Just joined the HA March-April league here.

Sounds amazing! Where can I find these patches?

Finished BF3 campaign. For all the talk about if being a real poor campaign, I found it almost entirely identical to the CoD campaigns. The setpieces are just as crazy, but the frustrations are also the same as in a CoD game. Not really sure how anyone could argue BF3 as being worse than a MW campaign.

It is a shame that EA/Dice went this route though, really could have expanded on the Bad Company style of campaign instead.

A mix between the open levels of BC1 combined with the gameplay of BC2 would’ve been awesome.

Finally finished Trine

3 hours of Mass Effect 1

And 1 hour of Wargame:EE.