Weird Science and other whimsical teen movies

I just watched this again and it’s so ridiculous I couldn’t help but grin all the way through. Who couldn’t laugh at a young Robert Downey Jr. batting his eyes or motorcycle mutants missing from Mad Max crashing a party?

So, are there any modern examples of whimsical teen flicks? I stopped watching them by about 2000 and those fed mostly on post modern cynicism (but I still loved them for different reasons).

Also, discuss your favorite (or any) teen comedies if you guys want for some contrast. :)

Favorites? I’d say The Sure Thing. I also love Back to School and Caddyshack, but I’m not sure if they count.

I respect, but do not love, Clueless, Say Anything, and Better off Dead.

And you loss 10 geek points for mentioning Weird Science and failing to invoke Chet.

“You two donkey-dicks couldn’t get laid in a morgue”

Well, Animal House spawned a boatload, but nobody beat them.

For a lesser known movie I always liked, there’s Up The Creek.

Isn’t the entire American Pie series just following in this grand tradition? Or do you by whimsical mean somewhat more over the top like Weird Science is?

In that case we have Zapped (bad, but contains nudity), Teen Wolf (bad, contains Michael J Fox and no nudity) and of course the pretty decent Real Genius with Val Kilmer.

Now? Can’t think of any…

P.C.U. was under-appreciated. Of course, this is probably because most audiences of it were under-inebriated.

I loved The Experts when I was young but since it isn’t a “teen film” I’ll substitute If Looks Could Kill instead.

Also Just One of the Boys deserves a mention because those titties looked gigantic when I was in junior high.

“When Rick becomes alarmed by feeling supposedly falling for a man, she bares her breasts to him at the prom to prove she is a woman”

Gotta be the next Movie Club movie.

This thread gotta have some Sixteen Candles and some Soul Man in it.

The Last Starfighter. A video game used as an intergalactic military recruitment screening device.

The closes thing I can think of to a modern version of those types of films is “Go,” a 90’s drug romp that was pure awesomeness.

Current? What about Dude Where’s My Car?.

It’s 8 years old but good call. It reminds me, though, no one has mentioned the two Bill and Ted movies and Repo Man yet. I love those movies.

“I’m glad I tortured you!”

Yes I was thinking about Bill & Ted but when he wanted a more recent example it naturally led me to Dude.

I guess a more recent example would be Harold & Kumar

Agree. Loved that movie. Keep meaning to re-watch it as well.

Agreed again.

That’s probably the best recent example. Any film that has Doogie Howser stealing your car crosses the line into whimsical.

Hello, Superbad?

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve seen quite a few, but I’ll check them out. Superbad is definitely great. I guess that’s what makes Weird Science (and other ones like Bill and Ted’s) work is there aren’t many that can replicate them. I guess the closest as far as whimsy or fantasy is something like Donnie Darko (which is set during the 80s heh), but even then it’s more angsty than the others.

Three O’Clock High is an understated obscure little gem of 80’s teen comedy. Most notable to me because every single adult in the movie actually acts intelligently, and yet, somehow, teen hijinks still ensue.

Top Secret for more hamming it up Kilmer

You picked one of my favorites at the top with Weird Science

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Clueless

Say Anything

One Crazy Summer / Better Off Dead - Duology!

HDNet Movies is showing Real Genius. I’ve never seen it so I plan to watch that one.

My wife and I sped through Karate Kid (also being shown on HDNet Movies) to watch all the good parts. Not exactly a whimsical teen movie, but I was surprised that the tournament scenes still get me going! Great stuff.

Do Clerks and Mall Rats count?

How about Valley Girl for an 80’s flashback?

edit I see someone did mention Fast Times At Ridgemont High. Classic.