Weird Science and other whimsical teen movies

I actually really like Just One of the Guys.

A really bad (really bad) is Girls Just Want to Have Fun, with Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt. I enjoyed watching it though. But I love these bad movies.

SPOILERS!**
That wiki is wrong. That’s not what happens. Rick never has sexual feelings for Terri. She has feelings for him and kisses him, but he freaks out until she shows him her breasts. Then he freaks out more but later gets over it and goes out with her (by later, I mean after the scene where she writes the article while “crying”…sorry, I have to use quotes for that). He shows up at her new summer internship at the paper, and asks her out. It’s ummm…touching.

I distantly recall Can’t Buy Me Love being better than it had any right to be, given the premise. Granted, I haven’t seen it since its initial theatrical run.

Sweet, Just One of the Guys has William Zabka, the blond-haired leader of the bullies in Karate Kid. Such a small world the 80s film industry is.

I remember The Legend of Billie Jean being bad, but I watched that sucker all the way through anyway. Why the hell did I do that?

Oh yeah! I remember now!

Nice work, Darsh

I guess “legend of billie jean” wasn’t meant to be whimsical either. Maybe that’s why it sucked

If you haven’t seen the music vide by No More Kings, “Sweep the Leg”, you absolutely need to see it RIGHT NOW!

http://www.sweeptheleg.com/

I swear to all that is holy that the cast hasn’t aged at all, especially after Zabka shaves.

GET HIM A BODY BAG JOHNNY!

I had great memories of this film and then I watched it again. Ouch. And I can watch the Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles (or Weird Science) repeatedly.

Is there a reason Ferris Bueller’s Day Off somehow hasn’t been mentioned yet?

Eurotrip was harmless amusement, with whimsical fantasy stuff in it.

Real Genius is my favorite of the old school ones, I had a crush on Jordan back in the day.

“I never sleep, I don’t know why. I had a roommate and I drove her nuts, I mean really nuts, they had to take her away in an ambulance and everything. But she’s okay now, but she had to transfer to an easier school, but I don’t know if that had anything to do with being my fault. But listen, if you ever need to talk or you need help studying just let me know, 'cause I’m just a couple doors down from you guys and I never sleep, okay?”

What’s even weirder is that the formula for making a music video hasn’t changed in 20 years either.

QFT

Also I loved the girl in Real Genius - Ms can you hammer in a nail with your penis :) Who was also the lead in Valley Girl which definitely counts

But this is the thing. The don’t make these movies anymore. No Phoebe Cates boobs…no casual nudity in R rated movies. Closest recent movie with all the nudity was Hostel and I am fairly certain they were aiming for a different demographic

The scene at the Chinese drive in is one of the funniest scenes evar!

And then and then and then and then and then and then and then and then?

Breakfast Club (THE teenager movie!)

Goonies (pre-teen, but still)

Stand by me (ditto)

Eskimo Limon (“Eis am Stiel”, or “Icecream on a stick” in German. Hilarious title :))

American Graffiti (never seen it)

American Pie

Here’s a pretty good list, too.

License to Drive might count, and it has Coreys in it.

Oh, I thought of one!

Pump up the Volume. Christian Slater was awesome.

Well, the naked Samantha Mathis was awesome, anyway.

There is only one true teen movie, although I wouldn’t call it whimsical per se: Heathers.

There is no whimsy in Heathers and Pump Up the Volume. But Samantha Mathis more than makes for the missing whimsy and Heathers is fucking hilarious.

It’s really surprising that Ferris and movies like it didn’t spawn more copycats. Maybe they did but none of them were quite as inspired.

The whole thing does make me want to rewatch Parker Lewis though.