Weird Science and other whimsical teen movies

My favorite goofy teen movies were always Summer School and Surf 2. I’d be surprised if anyone but me ever watched Surf 2, but hey! You can catch the whole thing on youtube!

Does Back to the Future count?

Sure, why not? May as well throw My Science Project on the pile too.

How about Hackers?

Ditto, on both counts.

Kill it with fire.

Hackers is hilarious if you know ANYTHING about computers.

Most any movie or TV show focusing on any profession or hobby or science is hilarious/infuriating if you know anything about that subject.

…Having never fired a handgun, and seeing that website where they show car doors won’t stop bullets has ruined every action movies.

My Best Friend is a Vampire (1988)

Dunno about Soul Man, but ditto on the Sixteen Candles. It was pretty quirky stuff, what with ethnically offensive Long Duk Dong (“Hey, Howard, there’s your Chinaman!”), Farmer Ted and his dork minions (including a very young John Cusack) and the bride wiped out on muscle relaxants she takes for menstrual cramps. One of the few John Hughes movies I can still laugh at. I also love the scene where Samantha’s grandmas are cooking breakfast, and one of them has a spatula out trying to keep the other one’s cigarette ashes from falling in the frying pan.

And don’t forget the guy pawning off his dead-drunk girlfriend on a friend of his, who then has sex with her (which she barely remembers). You know, what we’d today call “date rape”.

Summer School ruled.

“See, he can’t feel that because he’s insane.”

Moving Violations makes me laugh in an ironic fashion because A) the film’s lead was clearly written for Bill Murray, who they did not get, so they went with John Murray, who just did a mediocre Bill Murray impression the entire film and B) casting the always luscious Jennifer Tilly and having her play a rocket scientist just to turn the tables on the ol “Well, she’s no rocket scientist!” joke. Oh, you guys!

And I’ll take any late 70s/early 80s comedy film that was R-rated, had lots of nudity, and had either a double entendre for a film title or a TV actor trying to make the jump to the big screen (Zapped!, Joysticks, etc.).

Would that include H.O.T.S. ?

You bet your ass, Sansker.

HELL YEAH! I think I remember her telling him “It wasn’t too terrible” or something like that. The girls in John Hughes movies are such good sports.

To be fair, Farmer Ted barely remembered it either, which implied that he also somehow got too drunk to know what he was doing. But yeah, it was a bit sleazy.

I actually always assumed nothing happened beyond some making out. They were both fully dressed when they woke up in the car. But yeah, Jake pretty much handed her over for potentially more nefarious purposes.

Really? I never read the scene that way. I thought they were clearly talking about sex. The clothing thing threw me, but people can put clothes back on (or even barely take them off). In any case, it’s a touching scene, where a gorgeous senior learns to appreciate a dorky Freshman.

No mention of Better Off Dead yet?

He absolutely has sex with her and she likes it. Which is always the point in a John Hughes film :)

“I want my two dollars!!”

Better off Dead is one of my all time favorite movies. From the “Cosell brothers” to the dancing burgers to the “french fries” to the baby brother and the two dollars. Its an American Classic