Weird Wi-Fi Problem, Could Use Help/Advice

I now have it set to 36/1733. I guess I can try that for a bit?

Yeah, you are back in the primary super-crowded fastlane, but it may still work better than trying to take more obscure side roads to avoid the traffic :) Try it for a while.

I will, thank you so much for all your help!

Okay so the width is 80 apparently.

Yes, each real channel is 20MHz wide, so you are using channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 bonded together to get effectively one 80MHz wide channel.

That’s why everyone using default 80MHz width and avoiding DFS channels, means there are only really 2 channels for everyone to share in the 5GHz band.

graphic-80211-acChannels-all

Oh, so if I switch it to 347 it might go more narrow and get less interference, perhaps?

No, you will still get all the signal overlap from all the other people using all the channels.

Have you considered checking to see if your walls are lined with aluminum foil?

Ah okay thank you.

This place was built in the 70s, who knows what they put in there? ABBA records and used condoms for all I know.

That’s why I asked!

Yeah, he is losing a lot of signal strength across his apt, but -70 should still be enough to stay connected ok with no channel interference.

@HideousRex approves.

Unless he sees if 165 is available in 20mhz (347mbps) mode

So I’m still getting apps hanging from the other side of the apartment even with the new settings.

This is just letting you know that if the system has trouble with channel bonding (say, if it talks to an older device which doesn’t support bonding) then it will fall back to fewer channels, or 1 channel. That’s how bonding is designed so that it can remain compatible with older devices.

Those are words that obviously mean a thing. ;) (Remember, I’m an idiot.)

I’ll try that once I’m done with this zoom. Thank you.

Okay so if I switch to 347 mode, 165 does become available! I’ll make the switch once this zoom is done.

I have an Orbi mesh router and satellite (which is the real cure for this) gathering dust in my garage… Kind of thing I’d send to a friend. :)

Wait what? Really?