Weird Wi-Fi Problem, Could Use Help/Advice

Gah, still having the problem of apps hanging even with the new settings. UUGGH.

Yep! PM me your address and I’ll send it this week. Works great, I just upgraded to Wi-Fi 6E because I’m a tech nerd.

All I ask is cost o’ shipping! I’d rather solve your issue than deal with Craigslist. :) (Which is why it’s in the garage…)

Sir, you have my gratitude, thank you!

Very cool, @Editer . And you’re right, a mesh wifi uograde is the real solution.

Did you get another Orbi? How is it?

I went for the Asus mesh this time. I was 100% happy with the Orbi, but I bought the Asus when weird pandemic shortages were happening and the Orbi 6E wasn’t available.

Excited to hear how it works for Brian. Is it wireless backhaul or should he be hunting for a 100ft ethernet cable or MOCA?

Orbi uses a wireless backhaul. You couldn’t use wired, though that might have changed since I got mine.

You have a satellite…in the garage? Don’t those things work better, you know, in orbit?

Seriously, if the walls are plaster it’s entirely possible there is metal lath in the walls. When you put plaster on walls the first thing they do is nail a bunch of narrow furring strips horizontally onto the walls. Then they nail a big metal mesh (called lath) onto the strips. Then they put two to three coats of plaster on.

I lived in an old house for around 30 years. Pretty sure the realtor who wrote the listing for my house was not a native English speaker. When trying to describe the metal lath walls she said there was “heavy metal” in the walls. Try as we could, we never heard any music

No, no, they meant “heavy metal” like, oh, deuterium.

Once you start diving into obscure consumer router settings, you are likely fighting a battle that is already lost except for very specific use cases. Something like an Orbi/eero/etc setup should be the solution if you can place the satellite in the right spot.

Yeah it does feel like that. Like, one of our neighbors did something with their Wifi recently that is totally affecting ours, and in that case, there’s nothing we can do about it. It was fine until maybe a year or so ago, and nothing has changed in that time with our settings or equipment.

Makes me happy I live in the middle of a one-acre lot with only a few houses nearby and those pretty far away and not chock-full of signals as far as I can tell.

We live in Los Angeles, so home ownership is questionable here. ;)

I live in a condo and use the Orbi mesh router, never had any issues. So I think that’s a good solution.

There are occasional products which help block some wifi signal from neighbors, but it’s quite directional of course.

Well, if I had to try buying a house today, it’d be questionable in Vermont, too. Average prices have gone through the roof.

Yeah so it seems. Ugh.

So as of today I’m using an Orbi Mesh system, thanks to @Editer, and it looks like y’all were right. So far the Wifi has been smooth as silk with no weird app hangups or hiccups that plagued my previous setup. Thanks for the help everyone!