Westworld - Hopkins, robots, six-guns

WHEN?

Oops n/m just saw it above.

Very much wanting to see this. Loved the first two seasons.

Did I hear traces of Sweet Child O’ Mine in the soundtrack? Loved what they did with Paint It Black in season 1.

They’ve gone Beast Mode.

Anybody have a particular “series thus far” recap they can recommend?

I’m finding with all the shows I follow now, I’m having trouble remembering what happened in the previous seasons. Of course, it could also be my middle-age memory…

Yeah, I also kinda fell off the covered wagon Season 2,

But holy hell does this new season look completely different. The trailer is excellent, and it looks like they spent a lot of money on this season.

Back on the wagon.

Well it’s a piano arrangement of the song, so “traces” is underselling it a bit. But I’ve enjoyed their clever arrangements of songs throughout the series.

My favorites from season 2:

Apparently if you visit the in show’s company website on a VPN and with all browser settings closed it shows you this other trailer:

With Westworld season 3 starting next Sunday, here’s a good recap

Let’s do this

I’m here for the visuals and music and everything else is gravy. So far, so good.

Pretty good first episode! This feels like it’s a different show altogether, but that’s not a bad thing.

That was awesome. So much potential!

It’s sort of crazy how each episode of this series looks like it costs $100 million.

Also…

I need Marshawn’s light-up mood shirt. “Amused” and then “Angry”

Also…

Evan Rachel Wood in cocktail dresses > Evan Rachel Wood in frumpy Western clothing.

That was awesome. But I liked both Season 1 and Season 2 so I might just be easy to please.

What time are episode put online now? I thought last Season they were Sunday 9pm Eastern Time, but it sure looked like there were a bunch of YouTube videos discussing Ep01 that were put out on Sunday morning.

Didn’t like season 1 and never wasted time in season 2. But if this season is more of a reboot of some sort I’ll probably try it out. The trailers do make it seem interesting and fun.

It’s not a reboot. It’s proceeding directly from the events at the end of season 2.

However, it’s unclear how much of the first two seasons you’ll need to have seen to understand what’s going on. As of last night’s episode, not a whole lot, but that could change.

So it may be a decent jumping on point if you like the new setting or Aaron Paul, but it’s hard to say at this point.

Yes, the story has evolved.

There was no way the story was going to stay confined to the park. It’s not network television where it’s “Oh, let’s see how the robot cowboys malfunction this week!”

This is now the sequel to Ex Machina, after Ava has busted out into the real world. Except Ava has a genocidal mission.

It’s a pretty amazing transformation, isn’t it? Have any other TV series totally changed their settings and story like this?

LOST, in a way. Also The Leftovers, and maybe even The Wire, I’d argue.

But where you draw the lines of what changes and what remains to connect things isn’t set in stone. For example I think we may disagree on the extent to which Westworld has “totally changed their […] story”; I think the story is a surprising but natural extension of what came before.

Edit: but I don’t mean to downplay that yes, it is the exception rather than the rule in TV that a show will change up their setting this much. It’s cool and I like when shows do that. I enjoy it any time a show or a movie is willing to do something that the normal production restraints have conditioned us not to expect.