What have you played in the weekend?

I picked up Dawn of Man and Void Bastards from Steam. I’ve already played a bit of DoM and like what I’m seeing. It has a certain charm and aesthetic that I find incredibly compelling. I may or may not get to Void Bastards.

I’m also still plugging away at AoW: Planetfall and Battle Chasers: Nightwar and also started playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown again for some reason. I think I like launching satellites.

And then there’s Pathway, gotten for free from EGS. I’ve booted it up to take a look around and it sure is a pretty game!

What is Dune (2019)?

I’d assume it’s the recent board game reissue.

My advice? Get to these two sooner rather than later. Although…

…playing those three does give you a valid excuse. :-)

Yup. I’ve not played the original release, so I don’t know if there are any changes.

Grim Dawn (Steam)

I’ve been pouring all my free time into a new Soldier + Oathbreaker = Warlord Sword & Board custom build, and I’ve been having fun while doing it. I will keep having fun with it this weekend while I finish up the Malmouth expansion for the first time.

And I just want to go on record as saying that I’m not sure these Barrowholm people should be trusted, there’s something off about them.

Murder 101 by Pro-Pain
Assassin’s Creed: Origins (Xbox One)

This game seems like a poor man’s Middle-Earth: Shadow of War/Mordor entry, which I guess will have to do for now since there’s isn’t a sequel to those other games on the market just yet. So far this game is okay, but I’m really confused about all the weird computerized Matrixy stuff hiding under every rock and UI element.

I keep expecting the game to suddenly pull a 180 and introduce alien invaders or something in order to justify all the computery shit that seems shoe-horned in, like odd digital barriers/force fields at the edge of maps, or the odd “synchronizing” I have to do when I climb this game’s version of the Forge Towers. It just seems out of place for a game set in ancient Egypt, so I’m trying not to get to invested in the story just yet since it’ll probably get turned on its head any minute.

I’m getting the distinct impression you’ve never played an Assassin’s Creed game before.

Origins and odyssey are my two favorite AC games, although they’re very different critters from the earlier games. They’re also probably two of the best walking simulators ever made. They’re gorgeous.

I enjoyed both Origins and Odyssey but yes, they’re not recognizably part of the same series as the earlier games (some of which I also greatly enjoyed). As to the “walking sim” aspect, the Discovery mode is fantastic for that, and educational to boot.

I have Odyssey waiting in the wings after Origins. I got them both on some sort of super cheap Xbox game sale a year or two ago.

Suffice it to say the matrix-y stuff is a long-standing feature of the series that is mercifully toned down in the more modern games. There’s a clear cut reason for it that will become apparent in due course, but it’s always just been a distraction from the interesting quasi-historical game you’re actually there to play. Don’t dwell on it too much, in the final analysis it matters very little if at all.

I know, right? But after today, I’m off for the next three so I’m sure to get to them. I mean, unless there’s some ridiculous sale or something going on and I end up picking up more games instead.

I will be playing fledgling shipwright this weekend (and many, many more), building the Gunboat Philadelphia, a 1/25th scale wood model.

Picture from internet, not my work.

I remember people saying good things about Horizon Chase Turbo, so I fired that up. I probably wouldn’t have tried it because it look so retro. It’s pretty darn fun and doesn’t look as bad in motion. It makes good use of color. Like @kerzain said somewhere, it definitely has a Pole Position vibe. Glad many of you have times on the leaderboard to chase.

Of course I’ve been feeding my Monster Train addiction that I need to kick so I can play other stuff. I did play a tiny bit more of Nioh.

Horizon Chase Turbo is awesome, but can get very difficult. I suspect people younger than myself with better twitch reflexes would do better at it. I remember firing it up once and it ate my whole Sunday.

So far I made it to the 10th area, China. I can win some races vs the AI, but definitely not all of them. The turns are getting crazier and I need to learn to not stay heavy on the gas all the time.

And now I made it around the globe. I didn’t get first place in everything, but I completed the last race. Next time I play I think I’ll take my upgraded cars and rerace from the start to see how high on the leaderboard I can get.

Ghost Stories (Board Game)

I know I’m playing this for sure (solo, base game). What I’m not sure about yet is what else I’ll be playing this weekend.

Planetfall. The tactical combat continues to intrigue, reward and frustrate me in equal measure. Also, I am discovering I effing hate teleporters.

Monster Train.