What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

Nope. Only the character on the run earns the XP.

My highest character is the Mage at level 4 who just completed the #4 dungeon. It looks like the layout of each dungeon remains the same each time you enter it, but the location and type of treasures are random (not sure about the type of monsters, since I wasn’t looking out for that). Each time you enter a dungeon, a wheel is spun to determine the dungeon effect; some are good, some are bad. So far, I’ve run across common, uncommon, and (what I believe is) rare (since it has a blue outline) items.

While in a dungeon, your character can walk across multiple tiles at a time, but doesn’t auto-path around hazards, which is annoying. Once you get within range of a monster, turn-based combat kicks in, although you are free to attack at range while out of engagement range. On your turn, you can move X tiles (determined by the character class) and take one action (attack or use an item) in either order. Taking the action, though, ends your turn immediately.

There are six types of damage (Physical, Fire, Air, Water, Earth, and Void) with each weapon doing damage of one type. When damage is dealt, the amount and type is displayed as floating text above the character/monster. Each character has their default attack plus class skills that are unlocked as you progress through the dungeons (I think). Skills gain experience and levels. And once a skill levels, it looks like you have to spend gems of the associated damage type to upgrade it. So it’s looking pretty grindy.

It’s a little too early for me to pass judgement. But I will say that I was enamored with Book of Demons at this same point in gameplay time. I’m not, yet, with this game. We’ll see how the dungeons open up, what variety of items and skills there are, etc. I will say the second dungeon is much larger than the first, so we’ll see. It uses the Unity engine, as an FYI.

One last thing: it’s lacking some basic QoL features, but I’m hoping they’ll be added.

Good news: the layout is randomized, as well!

Putting this here because it’s an accomplishment literally no one else in my life can understand.

I’ve been playing roguelikes since I was 3, and my mother first showed me how to type “rogue” into the Unix terminal we had in our house for her work. For about the last ten years, I’ve dabbled with a bunch of roguelikes, but my game of choice has been Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, mostly for the ease-of-use of its interface.

In the last 35 years, I’ve never once beaten a roguelike. By which I mean, a true Berlin-definition roguelike, not the Diablos and Binding of Isaacs in the world. Except last week, I finally did it, scoring a three-rune run on DCSS with a Minotaur Berserker of Trog.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/drcrypt/morgue-drcrypt-20170612-173527.txt

In regards to sheer manhours I put into it, it’s probably one of the biggest accomplishments of my life… and of course, there’s practically no one I know who can even understand what it means to have done it. I thought you guys, at least, would appreciate it.

(Edited to insert correct link to my character dump).

WOOHOO!!! You are now ahead of me in numbers of “wins”. Congrats!

Oh, I definitely feel you on this one, and a massive bowl of “congrats” as well!

The log you linked seems to be the wrong one.
I am always amazed when someone manages to complete one of those games.

Sorry about that! Here’s the correct link:

Orbs of fire graveyard :O

I can barely get off the first floor in that game, so that’s a hell of an accomplishment.

Next up: Nethack. ;)

Yeah, we are able to fully appreciate that! You have one victory more than I do. And I don’t think that will change in my favor anytime soon. :)

Congrats for the achievement!

That is pretty awesome - I such at these games, but kinda love them, so yeah - great job!

Nice job!

Lol, I retrieved a fake amulet of Yendor once.

I “beat” Shiren on DS, but that’s not the same level of achievement.

I am totally late to the game but Caves of Qud is truly awesome. Think of Diablo but in low res rogue-like mode. After trying and dying thousands of time, I finally get to being a level 10 Marauder… and now, I dread to play, because if I died, that’s it. Everything’s gone. Any advice? Should I cheat by backing up save games (if it is even possible).

Kudos sir!

One of my greatest ever accomplishments in gaming is also a DCSS 3-rune win with a MiBe. I think I’d been playing for about 5 years before I fought all my natural instincts to grind out a win.

And yes, my wife politely smiled and said “that’s nice” when I informed her of this groundbreaking achievement. ☺️

Congrats on the DCSS win! I haven’t touched it in a few years, but I went through a few months when that was almost all I played.

Once you break the seal on save-scumming, it just gets more and more tempting, and it’s easy to make excuses for why you’re doing it. And at that point, why play a roguelike at all? Embrace the inevitability of death!

The worst is one time I got back into ADOM, used an OP build, and made it to the last level. Decided to make a single save backup so I could check out the end even if I died.

Of course I promptly died. It changes your focus too much. Now you’re out of rhythm.

I didn’t realize Caves of Qud was science fantasy. There are just too many interesting roguelikes.

I’ll probably play a little Brogue this weekend. Then maybe DCSS in a couple years. Then maybe whatever science fiction roguelike turns out the best. That’s probably it.

I appreciate what you are saying, but it’s so hard to start over, especially when I just found this Uber electric fullride hand axe that does 5 electrical damage on top of a 1d8.

So I haven’t figure out yet - is there health potion at all in this games. I only know that if my health is low, I’ll use the Sprint skill and run away. And at times I got stuck and almost died. Somehow I don’t see any potions that I could drink during battles. And the Heal skills is only useful during non-combat times.

There is a time pressure in Caves of Qud: you never know when the next Update Friday is gonna break your save or not ;)

I don’t know that! Ah crap!